Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Horse chestnut Bonsai

3 posters

Go down

Horse chestnut Bonsai Empty Horse chestnut Bonsai

Post  Alec Gordon Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:33 pm

To begin with, hello. I am new to this and need complete advice on everything.

Basically, there is a few horse chestnut sprout in my garden from my horse chestnut tree and I was hoping that I would be able to grow a bonsai from one of them. I understand that Horse Chestnuts are no the best are the leafs grow at the normal size, but it is the only thing available for free. Additionally I would like to grow the tree indoors and it would ultimately be easier (and I would probably remember to water it.) Can you give me any advice on doing so, and what stuff would I need? Thanks.

Alec Gordon

Back to top Go down

Horse chestnut Bonsai Empty Re: Horse chestnut Bonsai

Post  Guest Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:46 pm

Hi Alec.

Welcome to IBC, I am so glad that you have found us. Bonsai is a facinating hobby/pastime/artform. Take a look through some of the sections and see the kind of trees people are creating, the material they use and the expectation they have.

All the advice, support and guidance you will find in these pages.

Horse Chestnuts sprout easily and grow at a rapid pace... but they are not really suitable for bonsai because of the large leaf size... and NOT suitable as an indoor plant.

Regards

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Alec Gordon Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:49 pm

Are there any other british, easily grown trees you would recommend and where I could get my hands on them?

Alec Gordon

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:49 pm

Hi Alec,

Horse chestnut is an extremely challenging bonsai subject. With leaves that can approach 1m across and long internodes it is very difficult to produce anything that works well as a bonsai. I know people who have tried it, but have yet to see a good example. If you are new to this game I would suggest that you try something easier to start with. Seedling Larch or Scots Pine are abundant alongside forestry tracks in many places around Scotland. Ask a forest ranger for permission or apply in writing, to the head ranger. You may just find some Larch that haven't burst into growth, but it will be a tight deadline for this spring. Scots Pine on the other hand could still be collected for a few weeks, especially from higher ground.

No native British tree will survive indoors. If you want an indoor tree you'll have to buy a semi tropical and that's a whole other story.

Damn, trigger fingered Tony beat me to it!
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul B (Scotland) Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:00 pm

Hi Alec,

You should be able to find some suitable young material at most garden centres for a couple of pound - keep them outdoors though!
I'd also recommend something like a Larch or an Elm.

If you really want to do indoor trees, maybe someone else can advise you, I prefer the outdoor trees.

Welcome to the forum by the way, where about in Scotland are you?

Paul
Paul B (Scotland)
Paul B (Scotland)

Back to top Go down

Post  Alec Gordon Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:09 pm

South West in Dumfries and Galloway

Alec Gordon

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul B (Scotland) Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:33 pm

Alec,

I'm not familiar with the area, but have visited Glenluce Abbey a couple of times. There's loads of nice woodland around that area. As Kev said, just ask or write to the authority looking after the woods and you might get something.

Also keep an eye out for anyone doing up their garden, someone taking out a privet or beech hedge will probably be glad to give you any of it that you want, especially if you offer to give them a hand. Laughing

Paul
Paul B (Scotland)
Paul B (Scotland)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down