Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warped pot remedies?

5 posters

Go down

Warped pot remedies? Empty Warped pot remedies?

Post  Todd Ellis Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:24 pm

I have a few bonsai pots which have significant warping in the bottom. I want to use a product to pour into the bottom of the pots to make them level to get rid of the puddles. I bought a box of "Rocktite", an expansion cement used for anchoring and patching cement. I was thinking about acrylic or cement and chose the cement product for "durability".
Does anyone have experience with similar products? Pros? Cons?
What other products have people used to remove the warped pots?
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Best, Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Warped pot remedies? Empty Re: Warped pot remedies?

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:50 pm

Todd,

if it is Rockite for indoors, it will dissolve out on you with watering. You could test try Hydraulic cement used for water leaks. If you can find a non-toxic epoxy, and mix in some fine sand you could fill the dips. You could also use coarse gravel or pumic or a fired clay product to fill the bottom before placing your soil.

Normally, unless someone gave you these pots, just look at the pottery more closely and avoid the problem.

For me just sifted coarse fired clay particles as drainage works.
As usual test on a non-important plant.
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  handy mick Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:23 pm

Todd,
You could try to drill new holes in the dips, at minimum you will have better air flow and some now tie down points.

Regards
Mick

handy mick

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:11 pm

Fill them with paraffin -- or candle wax.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:00 am

I appreciate everyone's help.

Drilling new holes is certainly an option.

I have heard about using parfin/wax before. I am concerned that the wax will melt in the hot Summers and create a mess in the drainage layer. Have you had success with wax, Jim? I know your climate has extremes like mine. I think, too, that there are various types of wax; if I find a hard wax that might work.

I bought these pots because they were cheap and nice looking. ("I got what I paid for")

Maybe I should try different "options" and then see what produces the best result. Imagine ...my own research! B-)

Thanks folks!
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:20 pm

Yes I've done it, but I "solved" my problem by leaving those pots out over a cold winter. They spalled themselves to death. It will never get warm enough to "melt" the wax when it is covered by damp soil, so that's no worry. You may, however, need to redo the wax (if the pot doesn't shatter from the cold before then) when you repot if you worry about contamination from old soil left nehind in the pot.

The pots you bought were cheap Chinese -- possibly Korean -- and likely weren't fired enough to keep from spalling when freezing weather hits a pot that has absorbed water.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:39 pm

Hi Jim, I'm glad that this works. The pots I have are high fired stoneware and I have never had them spall. They Winter over well. I am at that stage where I want nice looking training pots. I am a long way from buying the final display pots for them. These pots are my compromise to have the bonsai look, plus save money. Also, the sales potential for the trees is enhanced when they come in a bonsai pot. I appreciate your suggestions!
Best, Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisA Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:43 am

I use a product called apoxy clay. It's a non toxic two part material that has a two hour work time and once curred it is hard and will not expand. It sticks like glue while your working it into shape. The company that makes it is called aves studio and they make a bunch of similar products to the one I described. It's also great for fixing anything broken and is paintable too.
ChrisA
ChrisA

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down