Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fingernails receding...any remedies?

+7
Mitch Thomas
Hans van Meer.
marcus watts
coh
rock
JimLewis
Poink88
11 posters

Go down

Fingernails receding...any remedies? Empty Fingernails receding...any remedies?

Post  Poink88 Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:08 pm

Since I started bonsai, I noticed a few of my fingernails receding (especially the thumb nails)...no cut or anything but they are about 20% shorter now than they were a year ago.

I always keep my nails short and also wash and clean after each garden visit but still having this problem. I don't wear gloves when working on my trees and I am suspecting handling the soil as the culprit.

Anyone have recommendations (other than wearing gloves) to remedy this? Thanks!
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Fingernails receding...any remedies? Empty Re: Fingernails receding...any remedies?

Post  JimLewis Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:14 pm

Stop drinking so much Supethrive.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Fingernails receding...any remedies? Empty Really ?

Post  rock Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:17 pm

Fingernails receding...any remedies? Images10
rock
rock

Back to top Go down

Fingernails receding...any remedies? Empty Re: Fingernails receding...any remedies?

Post  Poink88 Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:17 pm

JimLewis wrote:Stop drinking so much Supethrive.
LOL...I swear I do not! Wink
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:59 pm

Well then, maybe you should drink more superthrive! Or at least bathe your nails in it (and stop using the palmolive!)
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:30 pm

is it april fools day???????? Very Happy
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:34 pm

if you were in the UK i'd say "man up and eat a snickers", but as you are not I'd ask why you are worried that your fingernails are 20% shorter????????

that sounds like a bonus as one less thing to worry about.................less male grooming means more wiring practice

its probably because there are no nutrients of any human description in that base ball diamond stuff you lot use as bonsai soil..................................(i'm ready to duck,,,,,,,INcoming0

hahaha, great post dario
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:00 pm

Poink88 wrote:Since I started bonsai, I noticed a few of my fingernails receding (especially the thumb nails)...no cut or anything but they are about 20% shorter now than they were a year ago.
Anyone have recommendations (other than wearing gloves) to remedy this? Thanks!

Well practising the Nobel art of Bonsai...takes time, lots and lots of time! And some people, when they have a lot of time to kill, become terrible : Fingernails receding...any remedies? Nose-p10 !
Hope this helps?

Cheers,
Hans van Meer.

Last edited by Hans van Meer. on Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:44 pm

You guys are a riot. I am not kidding though and shorter nails don't bother me much but if it continues at this rate, I won't have any in 5 years!!! Evil or Very Mad I definitely do not want that.

Am I the only one with this problem? Question
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:18 am

Apparently!

Are you using a lot of pumice in your soil mix?
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:23 am

coh wrote:Apparently!

Are you using a lot of pumice in your soil mix?
Nope, I do not use pumice.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Thomas Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:41 am

Dario
Well if it was your index fingers I would tell to stop posting from your smart computer, but scence it's your thumbs I would say stop replying from your smart phone... Hehe lol

Mitch
Just kidding bro!

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  handy mick Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:24 pm

Well if you have already lost 20% then you only have 4 years left.
No, seriously after you trim your nails use cut paste to lessen the die back. Razz

handy mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:45 pm

Mitch and Mick...you both are good. I got an old remedy from someone to try. Apparently, the soil (being basic) can cause this on some (dermal sensitive) individuals (like yours truly LOL) and sinking my "claws" in lemon slice will help a lot. Will report later if it works.

Thanks guys...including the laugh. lol!
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:52 pm

Thank you gentlemen for making me lough!!! Very Happy

Dario, have you sought advice from an expert? A dermatologist maybe...
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:58 pm

my nellie wrote:Dario, have you sought advice from an expert? A dermatologist maybe...
I should right? But I chose not too...the advise in IBC is much more fun. I can say I am a cheapskate but insurance pays for it if I do. I am one of those people who stays away from doctor's office as much as possible. Embarassed

I actually abandoned one hobby (woodworking/woodturning) due to eczema (wood allergy) w/o seeing a dermatologist. geek
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:15 pm

Poink88 wrote:... ...the advise in IBC is much more fun... ...
Yes, of course it is! You're right! On the other hand you never know how fun a doctor can be. I can assure you because every day I read a lot of things written by doctors... (no offense intended to doctors) Very Happy
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick36 Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:58 pm

Dario you could try www.diynails.tumblr.com/post/4315990421
You should be able to get at least 30 states-worth on yours!

Last edited by Rick36 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rick36

Back to top Go down

Fingernails receding...any remedies? Empty I concur

Post  rock Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:16 pm

my nellie wrote:

Dario, have you sought advice from an expert? .

Fingernails receding...any remedies? Images11
rock
rock

Back to top Go down

Post  bumblebee Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:45 am

If you are cleaning out the undersides of your nails with a nail file more than you used to, you could be
making your nails recede yourself. One way to keep dirt from getting stuck underneath your fingernails
is to scrape them across a bar of soap before you head out to dig in the dirt. With soap under there,
dirt can't get in. When you are finished and ready to clean up, the soap washes out easily.

Libby

bumblebee

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:15 pm

Libby,

No, I do not dig under my nails (no more than I did anyway). The soap trick sounds good, I will definitely try it. Sounds like a mechanic trick actually. Thanks! cheers
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:50 pm

You know guys the problem is not about doing much bonsai, it got nothing to do with it.....................................................this problem that Dario has right now happened to me a couple of years back,,,,when I was abusing myself answering and typing too much here in IBC.

Dario my friend, If you noticed that some of the letters in your keypad is not visible anymore I am sure of the cause of your problem. hehehe Razz Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile tiktiktiktiktitik!!!! enter.

Maybe Jim got the same problem...send him a PM.

regards,
jun Smile

PS
my fingernails are now growing back to normal size.

Back to top Go down

Post  rock Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:21 pm

jun wrote:
Maybe Jim got the same problem...send him a PM.

good one Jun... Laughing
rock
rock

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:26 pm

jun wrote:Maybe Jim got the same problem...send him a PM.
Jun,
He probably have but seems like he stopped drinking superthrive so maybe he is (like you) growing his fingernails back now. lol!

P.S. I do not type with my thumbs. Wink
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down