Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

yamadori juniper

4 posters

Go down

yamadori juniper Empty yamadori juniper

Post  kingbean Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:17 pm

Hi all ive seen a juniper in a field just wanted to know if i can gain permission to dig the tree up.
what way is best to do so and when ?
kingbean
kingbean

Back to top Go down

yamadori juniper Empty Re: yamadori juniper

Post  Mike Jones Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:04 pm

At least you are halfway there simply by asking. You should locate the land owner and explain why. Tell him you will be certain to plant one seedling in its place, if not where you remove it, then somewhere close. That is just my philosophical approach to collecting trees from the wild, remove one plant another.

They may just be happy for you to remove it without replanting but I feel certain you could plant a sapling somewhere; as I say that is just me, it kind of works morally as well.

For a 'Juny' I would look at maybe 2-4 weeks possibly nearer 4.

I won't discuss technique when lifting from the wild nor post care as you have not asked about it.

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:08 pm

By yamadori Juniper, you must be talking about a Communis? Very many have been collected but few have survived. I personally would leave it be.

Back to top Go down

Post  kingbean Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:38 pm

Many thanks for your help if there is a good chance of the tree not surviving then I would rather
Not take the risk.
I think it is a communis the foliage looks quite like itoigawa but not as fine.
I think it could be were the tree has been cut down a bit in the past or somthing.
kingbean
kingbean

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:47 pm

If it looks like Itoigawa, then it is not a Communis. Communis is a spiny Juniper. The one you have must be a garden variety.yamadori juniper Common10

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Brindley Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:53 pm

will baddeley wrote:By yamadori Juniper, you must be talking about a Communis? Very many have been collected but few have survived. I personally would leave it be.

Any idea why Will? Do you know of any special requirements or have any tips for establishing yamadori junipers?
Lee Brindley
Lee Brindley

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:15 pm

Having only collected garden Junipers,I am not qualified to give advice on yamadori. Our natve juniper(communis) often carries a rust fungus with it. The environment in which they thrive is often completely different to back gardens or nurseries. If they do survive collection, they usually collapse after styling. Communis from mainland Europe have a far better survival rate.

Back to top Go down

Post  kingbean Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:01 pm

No its not communis Will it looks more like shimpaku or itoigawa there along side a motorway in a field.
The foliage is quite fluffy i'll have to get a photo of them.
kingbean
kingbean

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul B (Scotland) Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:53 pm

Kingbean,

Is it possible for you to try layering the Juniper rather than digging it out? Look for a branch of decent girth with a bit of movement in it.

There is an area near me where stunning wild Juniper grow. I've heard several times that they are difficult to collect successfully and I'm hoping to try layering one this year.

Paul
Paul B (Scotland)
Paul B (Scotland)

Back to top Go down

Post  kingbean Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:18 pm

Yes there is but i dont like the big stub that you get at the base of the tree it just looks odd
Reminds me of that saying logs in pots I would rather go without than layer trees.
kingbean
kingbean

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down