Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

scots pine progress, whats next?

3 posters

Go down

scots pine progress, whats next? Empty scots pine progress, whats next?

Post  NeilDellinger Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:57 am

What to do with this pine? Its current styling is kind of boring....I am open to hearing new ideas. Thanks for looking.

I found this large scots pine last June from a friend who could no longer manage its size (45 inches tall/114cm).. It was very shaggy & had not been pruned and thinned for a few years. It is also in desperate need of repotting. The tree had one strong side (the back), as it faced south. The tree had not been rotated in a couple of years.

First, Here it is as I purchased it. I pruned the strong new shoots back to stubs, and pruned 50% of the length of the interior weaker shoots. I was rewarded with huge numbers of back buds. This fall/winter I cut 2&3 year old needles in the strong zones & I removed the center dominant buds throughout the tree (except the weakest lower branch).

The plan is to sort out the roots & repot this spring into a box, then wire and style next winter.
June 2010:
scots pine progress, whats next? Pine%20front

Today front:

scots pine progress, whats next? P1050228

Rear:
scots pine progress, whats next? P1050245

Bark & Apex
scots pine progress, whats next? P1050231

scots pine progress, whats next? P1050253

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

scots pine progress, whats next? Empty Re: scots pine progress, whats next?

Post  Russell Coker Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:06 am

Neil, you are one lucky dog!
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:51 am

Thanks Russell.

I am thinking of removing the lower right branch. Any thoughts on that?

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

scots pine progress, whats next? Empty Scots pine progress, whats next

Post  sunip Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:24 pm

Hey Neil,
Impressive tree, a delight to get something like that in to you garden.
If i see it right on your image, the removing of the lower right branch, would leave you with a first left branch
in the middle of the tree, which is not that fine in the mutual proportions of the whole tree.
The lower right branch shows a fork in its base, is it possible to remove the upper one and start new growth to fill the backside?
Or is it possible to wire it down a bit?
In spite of the fact that it is well settled, after repotting with root corrections i would leave the tree a year to recover,
(as you mentioned already), it gives you the time to consider various options and to find the unique character.
regards, Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:22 pm

Neil,

I think Sunip's advice is spot on. If it were mine, I'd style it with every major branch then decide later which can/should be removed unless you are sure you see something wonderful. Nothing wrong with taking it slow, more branches = more options. No turning back once that branch is gone.

Everything is there for you to end up with a very quiet and elegant pine. Good luck!
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down