Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big ol Scots Pine

4 posters

Go down

Big ol Scots Pine Empty Big ol Scots Pine

Post  Mike Jones Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:46 pm

I asked ERIN if they could make me a round wonky looking rustic pot for my big ol Scots. It had been in a 23" Mica pot for some years and whilst serving a purpose it was to coin a phrase by Master Barton; "Looks like it's in 'bovver boots!'" For non Blighty, this would read like when 'skinheads' wore Doc Martin boots far too big for their bodies; and hence looked out of proportion and rather odd.

I asked for 19" knowing that the tree was an ornamental tree as opposed to a 'bonsai' in teh real sense of the word. Ordered in 2011 and I just never got round to having help to lift it. Anyway, out it came after a dry period of some weeks; candles extending all over with needle shape clearly visible. I'd planned on late April to mid May on usual weather patterns.

I'd actual;y decided to move this one on as I just couldn't get to grips with it. After much thought I changed the 'front,' and went for a big late winter prune and reshape.

Here it was in 2010/11 with the original front.

Big ol Scots Pine EWF17

Complete with silly jinned branch and looking (TO ME) as daft as a brush Smile

Big ol Scots Pine YLtPS

Complete change of front, more carving, much wiring and medium to heavy pruning (mid almost late winter).

Big ol Scots Pine Oa2OS

I'd decided on a repot this year as much help was on hand. Out it came; very dry so root work was actually quite a simple task. Still took several hours though. New pot suitably wired and ready for the tree. Thus follows images of out of Mica and into ERIN. Bit of a shock seeing the size reduction but for the contrived ... polite literati style I am now pleased. Mix was LECA, Kiryu, Akadama, Kyodama; with some chopped Japanese and Sphagnum moss that had been soaked in Rhizotonic for 24 hours previous. Nothing technical, it was just because it was 24 hours. I like to work a Scots root ball at a 50-75% rate and ensure I leave 25-50% existing roots. This time however (and only time will tell) I worked this pine like any other of my tees breaking a habit of a lifetime. (Well you have to find out sometimes).

Strapped in tight, really tight and will be in partial shade for quite some weeks until the sun rises. It will be watered daily; or is now being watered daily as I did this one a couple or three weeks ago.

I'm not asking for help, don't want to change shape or front again, I KNOW what I have done wrong in terms of root pruning. Oh I used plenty of old soil plus existing MF from the old soil which of course is species specific, and did not add any from secondary sources. I know the pot looks a bit small, and no I cannot throw it back in the Mica, it was sold. Really it is just me thinking a procedure and outcome out loud, and really my point is a small one. It does not matter what anyone thinks as long as you are happy ... enjoying your bonsai and feel a teeny weeny bit proud when you raise an alcoholic glass whilst sitting with your trees Smile hic.

Big ol Scots Pine ZFe46

Big ol Scots Pine RCLvm

Big ol Scots Pine 3FWmL

Big ol Scots Pine CoTta

Big ol Scots Pine PdV1B

Big ol Scots Pine Bn9zy

Big ol Scots Pine T79Lc

Big ol Scots Pine SYQVt

Big ol Scots Pine FzNij
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Big ol Scots Pine Empty Re: Big ol Scots Pine

Post  Jim Doiron Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:15 pm

Very nice, I wanted to ask do you make the metal chop sticks or buy them. I have access to a metal shop with scraps of just about every metal I would want and was thinking of making myself some instead of using the cheap Asian restaurant style bamboo ones. My only problem is every time I try and get in there to make some I get buried in actual work so I thought I might buy some if I could find them. Thanks
Jim Doiron
Jim Doiron

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:46 am

Jim

I did buy them but if you have a lathe then I'm sure they would be simple enough to do. I rarely use the larger one other than to stir my tea. The small one is extremely lightweight and it does not cause any damage. Nicely round end; one of my own personal favourite tools. It is lightweight aluminium mixed with something, but sadly I just cannot remember .. sorry.

I have seen them on a well known auction site; maybe worth a look.

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Doiron Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:00 am

Thanks Mike, I will look into my options. I have a bunch of 3/8 aluminum rods that I was thinking of working down into a few different sizes. I will let you know how it goes if I end up doing that. If I end up just buying some I will just keep it to myself, that would be anti-climactic. Thanks again.
Jim Doiron
Jim Doiron

Back to top Go down

Post  lordy Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:25 am

Jim Doiron wrote:Thanks Mike, I will look into my options. I have a bunch of 3/8 aluminum rods that I was thinking of working down into a few different sizes. I will let you know how it goes if I end up doing that. If I end up just buying some I will just keep it to myself, that would be anti-climactic. Thanks again.
Not glamorous, but aluminum spikes used to hold roof gutters on could easily be filed to work just fine. I have a steel spike (an overgrown nail) that works well for large jobs. The old standby bamboo rarely wear out, though.
lordy
lordy

Back to top Go down

Post  ang3lfir3 Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:33 am

Very nice..... good progression ... really great photos .... and the tree doesn't look to bad either (looks good!)

FWIW I use alum knitting needles .... you can blunt the tip a little .... 5mm size works pretty good .... for large work I have a wonderful wooden root pick that Dale Cochoy shared with me ... really wonderful tool
ang3lfir3
ang3lfir3

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down