Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

scots pine

+10
claas
kauaibonsai
Victrinia Ridgeway
my nellie
dorothy7774
Hawaiian77
Walter Pall
Hans van Meer.
mr treevolution
Milan Karpíšek
14 posters

Go down

scots pine Empty scots pine

Post  Milan Karpíšek Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:44 pm

Hallo, I worked on this scots pine with my bonsai teacher today. Pine is very old yamadori from Austria.
scots pine P1070310
scots pine P1070610
scots pine P1070611
scots pine P1070710
scots pine P1070711
Milan Karpíšek
Milan Karpíšek

Back to top Go down

scots pine Empty Re: scots pine

Post  Guest Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:52 pm

The last time I saw you 'Teacher' we were up a VERY high mountain, please send him my regards ThumbsUp

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Milan Karpíšek Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:34 pm

hi Tony,
I know, I saw some photos. I'll tell greetings to my Teacher Very Happy
Milan Karpíšek
Milan Karpíšek

Back to top Go down

Post  mr treevolution Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:14 am

Nice. Can you tell us more about this tree?
I like the way it has not been shortened and has been developed into the slender beauty shown!
Regards Nick

mr treevolution

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:18 pm

Hi Milan,
I hope you dont mind me giving some comments on the work you did with your teacher?

scots pine P1070710

The foliage is nicely classical placed, suitable for a tree with this kind of slender image. But there is something that bothers me a lot and that is the very high and thin trunk line of the image that you created in this way.
If you look at the two yellow arrows, you see that the tree has sharply turned on it self. This means that a long time ago some force of nature forced it to grow that way. These turn and full twist are a fixed fact on this tree. So this means that you should try to creat your design around those features if you want to tell a logical story! With styling this tree in a (very) tall literati, you tell two different stories that are just not very logical. Especially if you look at the long straight parts of the lower trunk (red lines)! You see a beautiful twist to the left, than a long straight section, than a amazing full twist to the right side that is followed by a other long straight and very thin section! That is followed with a long stretched mass of foliage that makes the tree look even taller. These contradictions make the tree uneasy to look at. It leaves me with a unsettling feeling that something is wrong in the total image of this design. Especially that second straight section is bothering me, I think that by giving the tree more movement here a lot could be improved.
But in my humble opinion, a tree with these extreme contrasts in trunk line, could be better styled in a way more suitable to the story it is trying to tell to us! I would shorten the tree considerably, bring the rest of the foliage way down and style the tree just as extreme as those trunk curls suggest. But that is just my idea and I hope you did not mind me saying so?!
Keep up the good work!
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Walter Pall Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:52 pm

Possibly in this direction?

scots pine P1070710

Walter Pall
Walter Pall

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:13 pm

Howzit Walter,

I really like your virt. ThumbsUp It's very simple and believable. The trunk lines are much more dramatic and tells a much better story about it's survival.

A Hui Hou,
-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

scots pine Empty Scots pine

Post  dorothy7774 Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:02 pm

I like Walter's idea too (nice pot!), the tree brought closer to the main trunk a bit more:

scots pine Scots214

But then, perhaps this works too Very Happy :

scots pine Scots212

-dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:04 pm

Walter Pall wrote:Possibly in this direction?

scots pine P1070710

Yes Walter! Some thing like your virtual is just what I mean! It is such a improvement and it makes the story of this battered and twisted tree so much more believable! By making this tree 50% smaller, it looks 100% taller!!!
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:36 pm

After I wrote my post and saw all those great victuals, I felt that I could not stay behind! So I made one as well to convey my feelings about how I would try to use the some what extreme movements in the trunk line to my advantage. It would need some extreme branch bending, that might take a wile, but it would be doable. In a tree with these severe trunk twists it is allowed to use some more abrupt curves in the top section. I think that something like this would look very dynamic and beautiful.
Hope you like my extreme idea?

scots pine P1070711

Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:48 pm

Lucky you, Milan Karpíšek!
Look how many brilliant ideas all these remarkable people present to you!
I feel a bit jealous.... Laughing
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Victrinia Ridgeway Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:54 pm

What both Hans and Walter have accomplished in their virts is bringing the attention of the viewer back to the only part that really matters on this tree... the base. Anything which makes the eye end somewhere else on the tree is a waste of valuable real estate.

I totally appreciate the organizational skill that goes into creating that nice neat appearance, but the value of the tree is not in it's foliar mass.

Love the virts folks!

Victrinia
Victrinia Ridgeway
Victrinia Ridgeway

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:36 am

I think dorothy's #1 virtual combined with walter's foliage/branch design would be the best of all worlds.

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Milan Karpíšek Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:12 am

very nice virtual Hans, when I made bonsai tree of the pine. I go this way.

Okay I will bring it straight
This tree is beautiful by the way has grown, it is nice to see what nature can. Will it just solitaire, which will be planted in a pot in my teachers bonsai garden. In the future will only improve the structure of the partially refined but all too gradually over several years. It is important to remember that this tree has never been a quality show tree. The second thing is that the is in the Teacher's garden of a lot better yamadori pine, which are better suited to some bonsai. For this reason, the tree will not significantly remake. As nice as it is and it's a tree! Pine I like especially the one imperfection, and thus it goes against some rules. Nothing less today, there was Luke Sirotný and saw live the tree so definitely write his opinion.
I am glad that I unleashed interesting comments, thanks all;) Very Happy
Milan Karpíšek
Milan Karpíšek

Back to top Go down

Post  claas Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:59 am

So Milan,

of course it is your tree and it has to suit your aesthetic requirements. But there again, what is the point of doing bonsai, if not to get better and make better trees?

claas

Back to top Go down

Post  pongsatorn.k Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:51 am

very nice... I'm especial like Hans van Meer Idea Very Happy
pongsatorn.k
pongsatorn.k

Back to top Go down

scots pine Empty re scots pine

Post  john5555leonard Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:45 am

i vote for hans van meer as well

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:39 pm

I perfer walter's design it allows the eye to follow the trunkilne unobstructed all the way to the foliage and makes a very believable path for this pine.

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:49 pm

I like very much Hans' virtual!
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down