Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Masakuni Tools Contact

+10
Dave Martin
Peter Adams
Billy M. Rhodes
Mark
Marty Weiser
Ravi Kiran
Bugeye
Todd Ellis
William N. Valavanis
Brett Summers
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

masakuni - Masakuni Tools Contact - Page 2 Empty Re: Masakuni Tools Contact

Post  Guest Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:36 pm

My experiences.

Had one accident with a broken Masakuni concave cutter some years ago (it snapped totally in two halfs when I cut a very hard peace of wood and with great power).

Else I have been totally happy al the way all the time, with several peace's of these tools that have been with me for some years now.

Thanks for a good explanation and insight Rob.

Regards
Morten

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravi Kiran Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:58 am

Hey Rob,

thanks a ton for some very detailed explanation of tools and the steel used... Very informative... We need Techies alright Very Happy

Ravi
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Brett Summers Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:26 pm

Having drinks after the birth of baby #4 tonight and posting this on the dinasour lap top with function key locked on after what i thought was a good computer has craped out after only 3 years Evil or Very Mad Am doing my best to add to the discussion Smile
Being a biolermaker i can apeciate good quality tools. You come across tools that make your job easier. They may cost a considerable amount more than others. Some are made tough and come with a lifetime warantee such as sidcrome socket set wich makes them worth the money. Some such as a lazer level are amazingly usefull but must be treated with kid gloves to keep in good shape. Some are mid range cost but come from a company that understands what the user needs. Some tools wear out quickly no matter what quality they are.
As a beginer in bonsai this is how i aproached bonsai tools. what gives value for money spent. I thought the idea of working over a rubber matt incase i dropped a piar of stainless cutters was not helping my productivity. So after some consideration and experience of using good quality tools i went for the best quality black cutters on offer as this was the tool i used the most. i also bought the second best quality large cutters so i would not damage the smaller cutters by using them out of thier range.
I understand some of this comes down to what you want out of a tool. As far as branch cutters go i want a versitile tool that gives a nice cut and is not damaged easily.
I have had no reply from masakuni so with the courage of a couple of drinks and no joy in finding a local tool sharpener i got out my various tool shapners and set about getting rid of the chips on my masakuni cutters. after some time i was very happy with the result. But i find my cheaper kiku brand cutters that i now use as root cutters are still cutting better. I have faith that the masakuni steel is better quality and with my metal sharpening experience and some care I can probably get them as good as any profesional tool sharpener that does not understand how the tool works.
I wish i had taken a pic of the damage done before i tried to rectify it but i will update how i go rectifying this situation.
Graham potter had some tools for sale last year called dragon bonsai tools. he stated these tools took all he could dish out and had never let him down. this sounds like the tool for me but it seems he can no longer supply this tool and I have never found an alternitive supplier.

Now it is time for that Cigar king

Brett Summers

Back to top Go down

masakuni - Masakuni Tools Contact - Page 2 Empty Steel

Post  pmjos Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:21 pm

This is just a short article about the differences in steel grades in bonsai tools, if it is of interest

http://www.bonsaibasho.com/micromarket/?url=/library/library/a223
pmjos
pmjos

Back to top Go down

masakuni - Masakuni Tools Contact - Page 2 Empty Anecdotal but useful

Post  rock Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:22 pm

Just for reference the #2020 Rob shows is notorious for the edge chipping. Of the couple dozen Ive sold Probably a third have edge breakage. So I now really encourage users to go slow at first,(remember the old adage, cut 20 blades of grass first then slowly working up to larger and harder branches.)
I know kinda like wax on wax off, but relevant.

I am now the proud owner of about 6 sets of chipped 2020 blades. Because I need happy customers I replaced at my cost. But the response from Masakuni, was and I quote...no refund, because Americans don't know how to use our tools. Okay..Thanks

--R

ps. Its your tool cut wire if you want. Just my observation... Most bonsai butterfly shears can cut aluminum up to 2.5 all day with no ill effects

tongue
rock
rock

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:16 pm

rock wrote:Just for reference the #2020 Rob shows is notorious for the edge chipping. Of the couple dozen Ive sold Probably a third have edge breakage. So I now really encourage users to go slow at first,(remember the old adage, cut 20 blades of grass first then slowly working up to larger and harder branches.)
I know kinda like wax on wax off, but relevant.

I am now the proud owner of about 6 sets of chipped 2020 blades. Because I need happy customers I replaced at my cost. But the response from Masakuni, was and I quote...no refund, because Americans don't know how to use our tools. Okay..Thanks

--R

I guess I'm lucky my tool did not chip but I will need new blades as mine have been sharpened down. Do you sell them?
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  rock Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:29 pm

Not anymore ...LOL

rabbit
rock
rock

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content