Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it a bonsai yet?

+2
Gentleman G.
creekfield
6 posters

Go down

Is it a bonsai yet? Empty Is it a bonsai yet?

Post  creekfield Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:53 am

I've purchased this escallonia from a local nursery.
Is it a bonsai yet? Escall10

After hard pruning.
Is it a bonsai yet? Pruned10

And now, what???

creekfield

Back to top Go down

Is it a bonsai yet? Empty Re: Is it a bonsai yet?

Post  Gentleman G. Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:07 am

I'm a newb, and I cant really see what's happening in the back... However, I think the right side has really nice movement. That being said, if it were mine, I'd chop off the left side and perhaps create some sort of hollow. I'm not familiar with the wood of this plant at all though, maybe one of the experts could shed some light on this. After that, I'd let that little bit of new growth become the new trunk and retain the jin to the right to make it look like a branch that died off some time ago. Then just let it grow for a couple years, select your branches and begin training and ramification. It also appears that there is a large branch coming out of the back too. If this is the case I'd probably take that off too, can't really tell from just the one picture though. But instead of just hacking off those other branches, I'd look into propagating them as cuttings or by air layer as they appear to have nice movement also. So, the answer to your question is no, it's not a bonsai yet but it has some nice potential from what I can see. But then again, I'm just a beginner who doesn't claim to know it all. Let's wait and see what the others think.

G
Gentleman G.
Gentleman G.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravi Kiran Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:37 am

Two questions and two quick answers...

No it is not a Bonsai yet....
And to the question "And now what" - well the answer is "wait". Give the tree a year or two to grow and fill up.. then it will look like a bonsai...

Ravi
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  creekfield Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:37 pm

Thank you all for your inputs. Wow! You guys are wonderful.

creekfield

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:18 am

I'm glad to see you have some back budding going on. I think you will have to lose one of those large branches. Wait to see which buds up the best first. It resembles a sling shot at the moment. Deadwood is good for carving but may be pithy at this size.

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Is it a bonsai yet? Jun10

Then, let it grow! It'll be a nice one.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  -Brent- Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:39 am

I second Jim, but, whilst I'm really no pro, I personally would cut that right branch back to a point between those two shoots ie. keeping one of them, so you're guaranteed a branch in the "right" place, removing any reliance on inconsistent back-budding (which is what I experienced with mine).

Let it grow, yes, but keep a watch on the new branches as they become brittle and bend-resistant quite quickly, so wire before they reach that stage.
I reckon you'll have a nice bonsai with this one in no time.

Is it a bonsai yet? 1110
-Brent-
-Brent-

Back to top Go down

Post  shimsuki Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:07 pm

When you have to ask if it is a bonsai then you know it it not a bonsai at all, just a piece of stock that you one day hope of being a bonsai. Can it ever be a good bonsai? Possibly, I am not familiar with this species but I can tell you you are looking at at least 10 years.
shimsuki
shimsuki

Back to top Go down

Post  creekfield Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:21 pm

Thanks everyone for such comments that would be an honor for me whom is very... very new ...with zero knowledge of bonsai.
Happy year of a cat to everyone.

Best regards,

creekfield

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:42 pm

I am not familiar with this species but I can tell you you are looking at at least 10 years.

I don't think he'll have to wait that long. Let it grow (along with some pinching) this year. Do the roots next year, and he should be on his way.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  shimsuki Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:16 am

Being a good bonsai and being on it's way are two different things though.

Andrew
shimsuki
shimsuki

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:33 pm

shimsuki wrote:Being a good bonsai and being on it's way are two different things though.

Andrew

Ya know, we're supposed to HELP people here? Give people some encouragement, OK? He didn't ask if it was a GOOD bonsai yet.

It certainly can be one, given time. As is -- with the chops -- it IS a good start, and (by definition) a "bonsai."
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  shimsuki Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:20 pm

This tree has pontential with time, but as it is right now it is not a bonsai yet. Just a piece of stock that could one day be a bonsai.

Andrew
shimsuki
shimsuki

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down