Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suggestions on how to get this to bloom?

4 posters

Go down

Suggestions on how to get this to bloom? Empty Suggestions on how to get this to bloom?

Post  JimLewis Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:23 pm

This is Trachelospermum asiaticum - Japanese star jasmine. It has been a root-over-rock bonsai for 10 years. It has never bloomed.

It was taken from a ground cover at my farm in Tallahassee. The one that covered my front yard bloomed every spring and the smell was sheer delight!

Does anyone else grow this and have you managed to get it to bloom? I'd love to know how.

Suggestions on how to get this to bloom? 10-1010
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Suggestions on how to get this to bloom? Empty Re: Suggestions on how to get this to bloom?

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:03 pm

Have you tried a "Bloom Buster" fertilizer? Also you might try extra iron and trace elements.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Suggestions on how to get this to bloom? Empty Re: Suggestions on how to get this to bloom?

Post  JimLewis Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:22 am

No I haven't. IMO, these special fertilizers are mostly marketing gimmicks, but I'll look at the label. I never add extra trace elements. It is much too easy to overdose trees on trace elements because they need such minuscule amounts of them.

Thanks for the suggestions.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:50 am

The Bloom Buster types of fertilizers are typically very high in phosphorus...might be worth a try.
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:23 am

Jim,

The small leafed "Asian Jasmine" (Trachelospermum asiaticum) is widely planted as a groundcover throughout the south, but I've never seen it bloom. It will also climb if given the chance. "Confederate Jasmine" or "Star Jasmine" is the one planted on fences and trellises, and blooms with white or yellow very fragrant flowers. This is actually Trachelospermum jasminoides, it has bigger leaves and courser growth, but sometimes gets mixed up with asiaticum and planted as a groundcover.

I figure you probably know this already, so I point out the differences for others here. If it's asiaticum, no amount of fertilizer is going to make it bloom.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down