Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some azaleas in bloom

+7
roykoibon
Glaucus
bigbabol
John Quinn
Russell Coker
Todd Ellis
xuan le
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Some azaleas in bloom Empty Some azaleas in bloom

Post  xuan le Sat May 14, 2011 12:36 am

Some of my Azaleas are in full blooms, but other Satsuki still have their flower buds just swelling
Here are some pictures taken today

Xuan

Some azaleas in bloom Azalea13
Some azaleas in bloom Azalea14
Some azaleas in bloom Azalea16
Some azaleas in bloom Azalea17
Some azaleas in bloom Azalea18

xuan le

Back to top Go down

Some azaleas in bloom Empty Re: Some azaleas in bloom

Post  Todd Ellis Sat May 14, 2011 1:48 am

Xuan, your trees are lovely!
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sat May 14, 2011 2:04 am

I'd like to see a picture of the koromo shikibu by itself!

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  xuan le Sat May 14, 2011 2:59 am

Thanks Todd
Russell which one are you talking about, among these I only have the name of 2 varieties (2 Chinzan and 1 Kakuo).

Xuan

xuan le

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Sat May 14, 2011 3:10 am

Nice trees, Xuan!
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sat May 14, 2011 6:50 pm

xuan le wrote:Thanks Todd
Russell which one are you talking about, among these I only have the name of 2 varieties (2 Chinzan and 1 Kakuo).

Xuan

It's the purple one in the back with the narrow petals. Kokomo shikibu is an old indica and I've never seen it used for bonsai.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  xuan le Sat May 14, 2011 11:29 pm

Russell Coker wrote:
xuan le wrote:Thanks Todd

Xuan

It's the purple one in the back with the narrow petals. Kokomo shikibu is an old indica and I've never seen it used for bonsai.

R

Thanks Russell for the namé here is its picture alone

Xuan

Some azaleas in bloom Kokomo10

xuan le

Back to top Go down

Post  bigbabol Wed May 18, 2011 9:12 am

what a lovely tree! I love them
thank for sharing Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
regards!
bigbabol
bigbabol
bigbabol

Back to top Go down

Post  Glaucus Wed May 18, 2011 9:31 pm

Yes that must be 'Koromo shikibu'.

I'd like to see close ups of the flowers of the white unnamed one, showing the range of patterns when it is in full bloom. If you have a good macro setting I can give you some names which may be the actual cultivar type, though it will be hard to narrow it down to just one.

Glaucus

Back to top Go down

Post  xuan le Thu May 19, 2011 2:24 am

Glaucus wrote:Yes that must be 'Koromo shikibu'.

I'd like to see close ups of the flowers of the white unnamed one, showing the range of patterns when it is in full bloom. If you have a good macro setting I can give you some names which may be the actual cultivar type, though it will be hard to narrow it down to just one.

Hi Glaucus,
Here are some pictures of the white Satsuki with fully opened flowers I hope you can help me identify its variety. I really appreciate your helping.
Regards
XuanSome azaleas in bloom Satsuk13

Some azaleas in bloom Satsuk11

Some azaleas in bloom Satsuk12

xuan le

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Thu May 19, 2011 2:41 am

Juko, maybe???
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Glaucus Thu May 19, 2011 4:10 am

It's not 'Juko'. The flowers are not pointly enough and the shibori pattern is different.

It looks a lot like 'Aozora'. In that case, the flower shouldn't be a pure white but rather a very pale pink. I think they are but it's hard to judge from picture. Flower size should be about 4 to 5 cm or a bit below 2 inches.
If not I can make a second guess. The petals of the flowers of this azalea are very round. Also, the flower is quite flat. Not too many satsuki azalea have that.
Examples:
http://www.pbase.com/azaleasociety/aozara
https://2img.net/h/i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss73/Harunobu/20100530191509637.jpg

'Aozora' is a common satsuki cultivar. So while it is sometimes very hard to ID a cultivar, I have some faith in this ID's correctness.

I did enjoy the flowers.

Glaucus

Back to top Go down

Post  xuan le Thu May 19, 2011 12:32 pm

Thanks Russell and Glaucus, Althohg I don't have the name of the variety yet but at least I know that Aozora is the basic cultivar

Xuan

xuan le

Back to top Go down

Post  Glaucus Thu May 19, 2011 6:48 pm

I don't know what you mean. It's either 'Aozora', or it isn't. Cultivar and variaty are the same. There isn't really such a thing as a group of 'Aozora'-like cultivar. The only thing that gets close is sports of 'Aozora'. Those are clones that suddenly display shibori that are different enough to warrent another cultivar name. 'Hekisui' is a sport of 'Aozora' that has both red and purple shibori.

Offspring of 'Aozora' can be completely different. And when propagating satsuki one needs to be careful and sure that the flowers of the cuttings always retain the 'Aozora' features of having a lot of near white flowers. In satsuki solid coloured flowers can dominate. Flowers mutate from white to solid coloured, but not back.
When all flowers are solid violet, much of the charm is lost and such a cutting is no longer called 'Aozora'.

Glaucus

Back to top Go down

Post  roykoibon Sat May 21, 2011 7:29 am

Simply amazingly stupendous! Rhododendron incidum in full bloom! Too bad it doesn't emancipate any flowers in my homeland Malaysia which has an equatorial climate. Sad
I wonder such trees are grown to display merely magnificient flowers or the need to shape the trunk and branches too? Keep it up! Very Happy
roykoibon
roykoibon

Back to top Go down

Post  Glaucus Sat May 21, 2011 7:32 am

In Malaysia you can do Vireya, the tropical rhododendron. I think they actually grow in the wild where you live.

Glaucus

Back to top Go down

Post  xuan le Tue May 24, 2011 8:36 pm

Some more are in bloom now, is it strange that the samll size Satsuki bloom first, then the medium size one have half of their flower buds open up and while the buds of the larger just show up their color?
Xuan

Some azaleas in bloom MiniSatsuki3
Some azaleas in bloom MiniSatsuki2
Some azaleas in bloom MiniSatsuki
Some azaleas in bloom 05-24-2011003
Here are the medium size
Some azaleas in bloom 05-23-2011027
and the larger size
Some azaleas in bloom 05-24-2011002
Some azaleas in bloom 05-24-2011001

xuan le

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Tue May 24, 2011 8:42 pm

Hi Xuan Le,
Beautiful collection you show us there, thanks.
Regards, Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Some azaleas in bloom Empty 2 more are in bloom

Post  xuan le Thu May 26, 2011 5:52 pm

Here are to more of my Satsuki are in bloom, the second one had an aluminum name tag on it but I lost the tag and forgot its name, if Russell or Galucus can help with the name it will be great.
Xuan
Some azaleas in bloom 05-26-10
Some azaleas in bloom Satsuk15
Some azaleas in bloom Close_10
Some azaleas in bloom Close_11

xuan le

Back to top Go down

Post  Glaucus Thu May 26, 2011 6:26 pm

The white center one, if the flowers are in the 3.5 cm 1.35 inch range, it is also a 'Miyama Mangetsu'. If they are way bigger, then I am not so sure.

The other one looks like 'Hakurin'. The flower shape is uncommon and the major clue. But do those coloured flowers have white centers? Colour is also really taking over. You know that tissue with DNA for white flowers will mutate to be coloured but not the other way around?

I don't think 'Hakurin' is supposed to have white centers. But maybe you have a version of 'Hakurin' that does. It's possible. For 'Hakurin' the flowers should be a bit below 5 cm / 2 inches.

[edit]
Maybe it is 'Karin' with entirely white sports. Does it have white with coloured tips, 'tsumabeni'? 'Karin' also has 'tamafu' patterns. Like eggshaped white patches on each petal with or without a white center. Can't find good pictures of 'Karin'.

'Hakurin' and 'Karin' are related to 'Korin'. 'Korin' is a solid coloured azalea and parent of 'Karin'. Hakurin is a white sport of 'Korin' that then mutates the colour back on. So a third possibility is you have a 'Korin' that starts to sport white just as the plant did that gave rise to 'Hakurin. Don't know how probable that is.

Nice collection. I don't know about larger plants flowering later. If you mean larger flowering ones, that's something of a pattern in azalea though not a dominant one.

Glaucus

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Thu May 26, 2011 7:15 pm

Glaucus wrote:In Malaysia you can do Vireya, the tropical rhododendron. I think they actually grow in the wild where you live.

I'd LOVE to see a Vireya rhododendron as a bonsai. Do you have any pictures??????
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Thu May 26, 2011 7:19 pm

Glaucus wrote:The white center one, if the flowers are in the 3.5 cm 1.35 inch range, it is also a 'Miyama Mangetsu'. If they are way bigger, then I am not so sure.

The flowers (and leaves) look bigger than that to me, I think this is 'Seidai'.

The other looks like a bad flowered 'Sachi-no-hana'.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  xuan le Thu May 26, 2011 7:56 pm

Thanks Glaucus and Russell, it should be a Seidi then because the flowers are about 2.5 inches.
One of the 2 larger is Asahi ni hikari may be the second one is the same since the flower buds and the leaves look the same

xuan le

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Thu May 26, 2011 8:17 pm

You lucky dog! 'Asahi-no-hikari' is one of my favorites.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Glaucus Thu May 26, 2011 8:40 pm

Yes, it did look bigger than the other that does seem to be 'Miyama Mangetsu'. Now I don't know for sure if it is 'Seidai' or 'Shugetsu' or one of the other similar ones. It seems 'Shugetsu' is more purple and 'Seidai' more pink and 'Shugetsu' has a bit stronger yellowish blotch. If I had to guess, I would guess 'Shugetsu'.

Isn't the kenben of 'Sachi no Hana' too strong to be the one in the picture? Maybe a close up of the flower shape will help.
Also, do you think the colour is a true red or barely not because of too much purple? Can't be sure looking at a picture.

I saw someone with a vireya bonsai on an Australian bonsai forum:
http://www.ausbonsai.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=133&t=4258

They may not be long lived as evergreen azalea.

Glaucus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next