Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shohin Acer Palmatum

3 posters

Go down

Shohin Acer Palmatum Empty Shohin Acer Palmatum

Post  MACH5 Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:18 am

Hello,

I wanted to share a late summer pic of one of my shohin maples. I purchased this tree many years ago. It is some type of Yatsubusa, but not exactly sure of the variety. Possibly a Kiyohime. It's planted in pure akadama in a Tokoname pot. The tips of the leaves are a bit scorched since it's endured 90+ F degree weather all summer long. I have found this variety to be extremely brittle, and branches and twigs alike break easily when bent even a slight amount so one must be very cautious. Also apical growth is weak, so the crown should not be pruned too hard. Regardless, it's a strong grower and responds beautifully to bonsai techniques.

The tree stands 7" (17.78 cm) tall including pot.

Thank you for looking! Smile

Shohin Acer Palmatum MYshohinmaple
MACH5
MACH5

Back to top Go down

Shohin Acer Palmatum Empty Re: Shohin Acer Palmatum

Post  Guest Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:29 am

MACH 5,

nice little tree. "17.78cm"...do you need to be that precise, just kidding.
IMHO-a would personally prefer a shallower and oval pot to enhance the ht appearance of the tree.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  anttal63 Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:09 am

Very nice Mach, thats a winner!!! I imagine the deeper pot keeps the tree alot happier? cheers
anttal63
anttal63

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:17 pm

Great Taper on this little tree. I would be careful that the right branch doesn't get too heavy. The tree looks a lot stronger on the right?

Back to top Go down

Post  shimsuki Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:19 am

MACH5 wrote:Hello,

I wanted to share a late summer pic of one of my shohin maples. I purchased this tree many years ago. It is some type of Yatsubusa, but not exactly sure of the variety. Possibly a Kiyohime. It's planted in pure akadama in a Tokoname pot. The tips of the leaves are a bit scorched since it's endured 90+ F degree weather all summer long. I have found this variety to be extremely brittle, and branches and twigs alike break easily when bent even a slight amount so one must be very cautious. Also apical growth is weak, so the crown should not be pruned too hard. Regardless, it's a strong grower and responds beautifully to bonsai techniques.

Very nice maple! A shallow pot would be nice, but when it gets to be the heat of summer some people can't be home to water more frequently. I like the pot that you have it in, it looks to be a good practical pot that compliments the tree nicely!

Really nice,
Andrew
shimsuki
shimsuki

Back to top Go down

Post  MACH5 Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:16 pm

jun wrote:MACH 5,

nice little tree. "17.78cm"...do you need to be that precise, just kidding.
IMHO-a would personally prefer a shallower and oval pot to enhance the ht appearance of the tree.

regards,
jun Smile

Thanks Jun. Well it's a precise art afterall Razz I will keep my container options open for the next repotting.
MACH5
MACH5

Back to top Go down

Post  MACH5 Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:18 pm

anttal63 wrote:Very nice Mach, thats a winner!!! I imagine the deeper pot keeps the tree alot happier? cheers

Thanks anttal63! Yes no doubt that would be true.
MACH5
MACH5

Back to top Go down

Post  MACH5 Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:27 pm

will baddeley wrote:Great Taper on this little tree. I would be careful that the right branch doesn't get too heavy. The tree looks a lot stronger on the right?

Thanks Will! You're absolutely right. I do have to watch that right branch. I have been letting it grow for two reasons. The first it's to let the branch thicken up a bit. The second, is to extend it. I have been getting a kick out of letting the design get wider rather than taller. I would like to keep extending this branch but to your point, I have to be careful not to let the rest of the tree weaken at it's expense. I will most likely thin this branch when leaves fall.
MACH5
MACH5

Back to top Go down

Post  MACH5 Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:31 pm

shimsuki wrote:
MACH5 wrote:Hello,

Very nice maple! A shallow pot would be nice, but when it gets to be the heat of summer some people can't be home to water more frequently. I like the pot that you have it in, it looks to be a good practical pot that compliments the tree nicely!

Really nice,
Andrew

Thank you Andrew! My thoughts exactly Smile
MACH5
MACH5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down