Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Czech Republic National Exhibition

+4
pmjos
my nellie
Pavel Slovák
Rob Kempinski
8 posters

Go down

Czech Republic National Exhibition Empty Czech Republic National Exhibition

Post  Rob Kempinski Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:10 am

I had the priviledge of attending the Czech Republic National exhibiton this past weekend.
I'd liketo thank Vaclav Novak and all the rest of the Czech bonsai artists for inviting me. And special thanks to Tom Benda for taking such good care of me and my wife. We had a blast.

The show was held at the Strahov Monestary. Here are some of the great trees on display. In addition to the trees, pay attention to the pots. I don't believe I've ever seen a show with such a great assortment of bonsai pots matching their trees.

I was very busy and didn't record names and species of the trees so maybe the local club members that visit here could help out. In fact I didn't even get to photograph all the trees. But here are some that I especially liked.

A Pinus Uchinatta that I called the Czesky Lev for the two tailed Czech National lion.
Czech Republic National Exhibition Img_9310

This larch was by Kestutis Ptakauskas of Lithuania. It won a top 10 award. Most of the trees were on separate pedestals and some had religious wall hangings with them which I felt made for interesting and appropriate displays for the Czech Republic.
Czech Republic National Exhibition Img_9311

The BCI Award for excellence - Mugo Pine by Pavel Slovak. A very well prepared and nicely refined Mugo Pine,. I'd like to see the soil totally covered in moss though.
Czech Republic National Exhibition Img_9410

A very interesting Olive.
Czech Republic National Exhibition Img_9411

Another interesting larch by a Polish gent. The Polish trees were all well presented and I am excited that they invited me to a major exhibition next year.
Czech Republic National Exhibition Img_9312

A large Yew.
Czech Republic National Exhibition Img_9313

A Japanese Maple with perfect leaves. Some of the trees were in front of windows which made photogrpahy difficult.
Czech Republic National Exhibition Img_9314

A Pinus unchinnata
Czech Republic National Exhibition Img_9210
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Czech Republic National Exhibition Empty Re: Czech Republic National Exhibition

Post  Guest Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:26 am

Rob,

beautiful display. thanks for sharing your trip and pics.
all of it are worthy of winning, but i personally love the second photo-mugo pine. congratulations to Pavel... his pines got really that natural appeal, even the rustic color of the pot is perfect.

regards,
jun

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:44 am

Hi Rob.

Thanks for sharing photos here. Thank you again for the wonderful advice and comments in criticizing the trees in the exhibition.
Very Happy ThumbsUp
I look forward to the next meeting.

Pavel
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:49 am

Rob Kempinski wrote: ... ... In addition to the trees, pay attention to the pots. I don't believe I've ever seen a show with such a great assortment of bonsai pots matching their trees.
... ....
Indeed!

Something else I notice in some displays there is not the traditional scroll hanging on the wall, but a "modern" framed icon.
A striking "innovation"?
For me, it's a pleasant surprise surely! Very Happy
What do you experts think about this?
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Czech Republic National Exhibition Empty Exhibition Strahov

Post  pmjos Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:46 am

Vyborne! Would have loved to have been there, the beautiful Strahov, the beautiful trees......and a thirst quenched in the monestary brewery. Ach jo!
pmjos
pmjos

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:58 am

pmjos wrote:Vyborne! Would have loved to have been there, the beautiful Strahov, the beautiful trees......and a thirst quenched in the monestary brewery. Ach jo!

Oh you missed a great show and event. Yes we tried the Monestary beer - quite good.
Took a photo before the beer was served just to be sure it came out well. Very Happy
From left to right Karel Muller, Vaclav Novak, famous Czech Bonsai artist, Asako Hashimoto, she studied under Kunio Kobayahi, Tom Benda, our host, bonsai artist and terrific bonsai pot maker, and Terry, my wife.

Czech Republic National Exhibition Img_9214

We also had a private tour of the Monestary's library and art collection.
The library atmosphere took me back to another era. I could imagine the monks copying the detailed texts by hand. As a Catholic I enjoyed it very much.
Czech Republic National Exhibition Img_9211

One part of the library ceiling.
Czech Republic National Exhibition Img_9212

Very old books - older than the trees.
Czech Republic National Exhibition Img_9213

The art made one appreciate the quality of the trees and the setting.
Czech Republic National Exhibition Img_9110

Czech Republic National Exhibition Img_9111

One of the paintings dated back to the 1100's. Amazing.
Here my wife, Terry, and IBC Member and tour guide extraordiniare, Tom Benda, enjoy the art (trees and paintings).
Czech Republic National Exhibition Img_9112
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:14 pm

my nellie wrote:
Rob Kempinski wrote: ... ... In addition to the trees, pay attention to the pots. I don't believe I've ever seen a show with such a great assortment of bonsai pots matching their trees.
... ....
Indeed!

Something else I notice in some displays there is not the traditional scroll hanging on the wall, but a "modern" framed icon.
A striking "innovation"?
For me, it's a pleasant surprise surely! Very Happy
What do you experts think about this?

Very true. You mean not a traditional "Japanese" scroll. There were several trees that had traditional European religious art behind them and I commented during my critique on how much I enjoyed that display as it reflected the Czech heritage and the fact that the exhibition was in a monastery. I suggested in the future if they use separate pedestals for each tree that is not necessary to place an accent plant next to the tree. First of all it looks a bit crowded to do it as the pedestal tops were not big enough for the accent. Second, the tokonoma is a Japanese tradition and requires space to properly mimic one. There were a few tables set up and some of the displays there were in the vein of a traditional Japanese display and looked nice. But the monastery site I feel was a perfect venue to break away from the Japanese mode of display and to do something related to the European tradition. This was even more appropriate since many of the trees were European collected specimens.

This olive bonsai is a good example. It is a collected European tree from the Mediterranean region, reminding one of Jesus being from the Middle East. The cross and religious artwork make a phenomenal European-based display. I even suggested that for this display, the rustic nature of the tree, pot and stand required a rustic display stand. This stand had too much of a Chinese feel to it.
Czech Republic National Exhibition Img_9315
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Dustin Mann Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:12 pm

Thanks for sharing Rob. Very interesting seeing bonsai show from Eastern Europe, which I hear is growing. The uniformity of leaf size on that Japanese Maple quite well done..ditto to candles on Pinus Q(although large) Wondering if couple pots made by Czech. potter? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Dustin Mann

Dustin Mann

Back to top Go down

Czech Republic National Exhibition Empty Strahov

Post  pmjos Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:16 pm

Strahov is beautiful, I love it there and it is ideal for bonsai with the enclosed cloister with loads of light. As for the brewery, It's their special edition Christmas Beer at 14% that I'm looking forward to. I have chatted to Tomas on line a few times - but I hav't met Vaclav Novak.
pmjos
pmjos

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:51 pm

FWI, the religious art is The Stations of the Cross. I am sure they were just part of the monastery's normal ceremonies. These are especially used during Lent as the faithful process from Station to Station in the last hours of Jesus. They are NOT icons and very modern.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Lukas Sirotny Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:22 pm

I would like to give my thanks to Rob for his good work on a scots pine during his demo on Saturday but especially for his very detailed and accurate tree critiques which he was performing amost all day long on Sunday (and which I, unfortunately, could not see in its integrity because of my own demo at the same time Neutral ).
I attach some pictures from Rob´s demo and also the overral winning tree of the exhibition - the breathtaking mugo by Olda Kašpar, originally yamadori from the swiss Alps.
Much more photos from other demos and also trees can be found on our forum Bonsai - Kai:
http://www.bonsai-kai.cz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=741 - demos, the main guest Toru Suzuki from Japan
http://www.bonsai-kai.cz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=739 - trees (photos from the installation of the exhibition)
http://www.bonsairoznov.cz/fotoalbum/vystavy-_-bonsai-akce/xiii_-narodni-vystava-bonsaji-a-suiseki-cba - my photos

Czech Republic National Exhibition Dsc_0510
Rob working on a scots pine surrounded by many assistants Smile .

Czech Republic National Exhibition Dsc_0610
Rob explaining techniques for bending thick branches.

Czech Republic National Exhibition Dsc_0611
Result of the demo, the light conditions was poor by that time, so I apologize for photo with flash.

Czech Republic National Exhibition Cba20110
The Czech Tree of the year 2010 - Pinus mugo by Olda Kašpar

Czech Republic National Exhibition Cba20112
The same tree, another point of view.
Czech Republic National Exhibition Cba20111
Some of the members of our informal bonsai club Bonsai - Kai together with Rob.

It was a pleasure to meet you, Rob, hope to see you and more from your work this november in Mexico!

Last edited by Lukas Sirotny on Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lukas Sirotny
Lukas Sirotny

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:26 pm

I like the display with the religious illustration a lot. Not that I do not like the traditional Japanese display, because i do. But I like the way new ways are tried regarding the display (and it doesn’t have to be religious in any way, but it adds a certain mood in this particular display).

I will like to add two comments though. The picture is placed right above the tree and I feel it gives a display not that harmonic and well balanced. It would be far better balanced if the illustration was off centre and placed a bit beside the tree adding some space between the two items.

Secondly I do not like the new (?) way organisers arrange the display setting either not allowing space for accents, or demanding displays without scrolls i.e. I think that the only way to present the art in optimal settings, is to let the artist decide how she/he wants to express their trees. With or without scroll/accents e.g. Limitations this way is also limiting the artists expressions which I think is not developing the way of displaying, only minor the possibilities minimising quality.

But refreshing to see something else than the traditional scrolls (which I also happens to like very much).

Regards
Morten Albek

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:46 pm

Morten Albek wrote: The picture is placed right above the tree and I feel it gives a display not that harmonic and well balanced. It would be far better balanced if the illustration was off centre and placed a bit beside the tree adding some space between the two items.

Again, the "picture" was not placed by the Bonsai folks, it is part of the religious ceremonies in the monastery, it just happens to be above the trees. I suppose the organizers could have placed the tree to oneside.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Andreasdeutscher Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:37 pm

It is just random display, but...it is truly magic. Getsemane...

Andreasdeutscher

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down