Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Privet Styling Help

3 posters

Go down

Privet Styling Help Empty Privet Styling Help

Post  bonsai monkey Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:00 pm

Hi Guys
As Privet is fast becoming the new Black I was delighted to pick up this ex Lee Kennedy yamadori from my friendly neighbourhood Monkey Man monkey . Although most of the growth is at the apex and a bit one sided I feel in love with this tree because of its power and movement. I know that I’m a self confessed Shohin man I’m now getting a few slight larger pieces as these take a bit more time and effort but then it stops me getting inpatient and rushing my Shohin trees.

Privet Styling Help Lvp_410

OK, so the question is this, where do you think I should go with this tree? I have a few thoughts of my own but would be grateful for some additional input.

Privet Styling Help Lvp_210

Privet Styling Help Lvp_310

Privet Styling Help Lvp_110

Privet Styling Help Lvp_510

Thanks in advance,
Okk, Okk,
Simon
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Privet Styling Help Empty Re: Privet Styling Help

Post  AlainK Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:15 pm

Wow, what a trunk!

I know it's not of much help to say that, but wow! the movement is really beautiful.

Don't know where you are going with this one, but I'd cut back most of the branches and let a few selected ones grow freely to thicken.
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:26 pm

You will find with the privet that, in a large one, getting any bulk on the branches is a bit of a problem.

I'd worked 13 years on this one to get the rather skinny size on these branches.

Privet Styling Help Privet15

Alas, this tree is about gone now. The wood in the trunk rotted so badly there's only the ghost of the trunk and one side of the branches is gone.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:05 pm

Alain
Thanks for your post. I will be looking to thin out the heavier branches and re-grow the structure best part of from scratch.

Jim
I'm sorry to hear about your Privet as it looked like a great tree Crying or Very sad
Thanks for posting your tree as it gives me some hints on branch structure for mine.

Regards,
Simon
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:37 pm

A very (very) classical view:

Privet Styling Help Lvp_4110
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:46 am

I like lains idea with this one. Bulking branches on Privet is quite east but you need to get some wire on now, before the branches get too stiff. Don't wory about ramification at this stage, just position branches and let it grow. With good feeding you will easily get 2 feet of growth and 5mm of thickness in branching. Cut back in the Spring and repeat. Beautiful trunk and huge potential. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down