Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mystery Tree

5 posters

Go down

Mystery Tree Empty Mystery Tree

Post  treeandcactus Tue May 20, 2014 7:40 am

Hello All! New to the Club. Please help me ID this tree. Amazing Bonsai tree, but hard to ID. Thanks in advance for your help!
Mystery Tree Myster10
treeandcactus
treeandcactus

Back to top Go down

Mystery Tree Empty Re: Mystery Tree

Post  M. Frary Tue May 20, 2014 1:12 pm

Don't know what kind of tree is in the picture but that thing will take time to become any kind of bonsai.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  treeandcactus Tue May 20, 2014 3:34 pm

M. Frary wrote:  Don't know what kind of tree is in the picture but that thing will take time to become any kind of bonsai.

Yes, this tree will take some time to grow into a proper Bonsai. If we can ID the tree, this will help us take care of it properly!
treeandcactus
treeandcactus

Back to top Go down

Post  RKatzin Tue May 20, 2014 4:02 pm

It's very hard to say from this pic. I'm trying to see if the leaves are alternate or opposite. Privet comes to mind or possible ornamental pear? A better pic/pics showing branch and stem would help. In LA it could even be a tropical/subtropical type, maybe a ficus?

It's a given, everything takes a long time. lol

Last edited by RKatzin on Tue May 20, 2014 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ad endum)
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  treeandcactus Tue May 20, 2014 4:29 pm

RKatzin wrote:It's very hard to say from this pic. I'm trying to see if the leaves are alternate or opposite. Privet comes to mind or possible ornamental pear? A better pic/pics showing branch and stem would help. In LA it could even be a tropical/subtropical type, maybe a ficus?

It's a given, everything takes a long time. lol

Thank you. It looks like the tree has Privet-like leaves. Here are some more pictures. Mystery Tree _tree11

Mystery Tree _tree_11
treeandcactus
treeandcactus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue May 20, 2014 6:05 pm

i'm pretty new at this (a little over 3 years) and so i am probably missing something here or not seeing it correctly...
but what characteristics should i be looking for when you refer to this as an amazing tree ?

Last edited by beer city snake on Tue May 20, 2014 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue May 20, 2014 8:34 pm

Looks like Privet to me. Probably L. sinensis.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Mystery Tree Empty privet

Post  treeandcactus Wed May 21, 2014 7:42 am

JimLewis wrote:Looks like Privet to me.  Probably L. sinensis.

I believe the Ligustrum_sinense has a broader leaf than this tree. The leaf of this mystery tree is the look, shape and size of a Serissa ‘foetida’ leaf.
treeandcactus
treeandcactus

Back to top Go down

Mystery Tree Empty Regarding Amazing Mystery Tree

Post  treeandcactus Wed May 21, 2014 7:55 am

beer city snake wrote:i'm pretty new at this (a little over 3 years) and so i am probably missing something here or not seeing it correctly...
but what characteristics should i be looking for when you refer to this as an amazing tree ?

The Nebari/root-and-base structure is unique and could be made into a Sekijoju/root-over-rock Bonsai. The tree has Serissa (Snow Rose) - like leaves, and a long trunk that once replanted (plant back into the Earth to achieve thicker trunk development) into the ground, will form good Kokejun/taper. The bark is very, very unique. By maturing the trunks, formal Sokan/Twin-Trunk style will be highlighted. A lot of signs point to this tree being a Privet, but it is not. These are some reasons why this is an amazing tree.
treeandcactus
treeandcactus

Back to top Go down

Mystery Tree Empty Similar trees

Post  treeandcactus Wed May 21, 2014 8:00 am

These are similar trees with leafs like the mystery tree: Yaupon (Ilex vomitoria), Inkberry (Ilex glabra)
treeandcactus
treeandcactus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed May 21, 2014 12:30 pm

right on... i noticed the cool root flare, but then my eye just kept going up up up  Wink 

and yeah putting it back in the ground seems like the way to go...
and then as one of my AAC compatriots would say "TRUNK CHOP"   Exclamation  
(yeah... brian "the chopper" !  Razz )

i'm about to do my first trunk chop on a 3 legged green leaf japanese maple...
pretty nervous  affraid 
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Mystery Tree Empty Japanese Maple

Post  treeandcactus Wed May 21, 2014 4:20 pm

beer city snake wrote:right on... i noticed the cool root flare, but then my eye just kept going up up up  Wink 

and yeah putting it back in the ground seems like the way to go...
and then as one of my AAC compatriots would say "TRUNK CHOP"   Exclamation  
(yeah... brian "the chopper" !  Razz )

i'm about to do my first trunk chop on a 3 legged green leaf japanese maple...
pretty nervous  affraid 

Trunk Chop indeed!

Very Cool Beer Snake about your GREEN LEAF JAPANESE MAPLE !  In a couple of months you should have a master piece ready to display its fall colors.  Good luck with this and post some pictures with your progress!
treeandcactus
treeandcactus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed May 21, 2014 6:21 pm

might take more than a couplafew months for a masterpiece  Wink 

but yeah - high hopes for that one...
it was grown in the ground for many years, and just came out this spring...
no root pruning done, just put in a good size container to get it acclimated before the ax falls  Twisted Evil 

will post some before pics when i get time
(that is when the sun stops shining  flower )

kevin

(snake is just a tag that stuck from the 1970s skateboard days and beer city is what milwaukee was once known as)
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down