Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mugo Pine research

+9
Walter Pall
RKatzin
Mario Stefano
Peter E.
Rob Kempinski
Hawaiian77
Victrinia Ridgeway
bonsaisr
Jay Gaydosh
13 posters

Go down

Mugo Pine research - Page 2 Empty Mugo Pine Research

Post  bonsaisr Sat May 22, 2010 2:19 pm

Comparing suggestions from Walter Pall (central Europe), Karamotto, (Netherlands), and Vance Wood (Midwest U S), the watchword is FIND OUT WHAT WORKS IN YOUR CLIMATE. Since Central NY is essentially the same climate as the Midwest, if there is a difference, I will follow Vance Wood. Around here, we tend to avoid fall repotting except in emergencies.
Rob said he is surprised that mugo pines grow in Hawaii. Somebody pointed out that Pinus mugo has an extremely wide natural range, throughout Europe from the Alps to the Mediterranean. Therefore, if you treat it right, it is a very adaptable species.
Iris

Last edited by bonsaisr on Sat May 22, 2010 6:00 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Correction)
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Mugo Pine research - Page 2 Empty Re: Mugo Pine research

Post  tim stubbs Sat May 22, 2010 4:19 pm

i wouldnt worry about climate , we have gone from -5c (at night) to 26c (today) in just over two weeks and they are looking well , that was following Walters advice over the last three years .

Some further reading , from Hans van Meer's pages ,
http://www.karamotto.org/index.php?page=21

tim
tim stubbs
tim stubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  jordan12 Sat May 22, 2010 6:04 pm

how do you plant things on rocks? like the one above..

jordan12

Back to top Go down

Mugo Pine research - Page 2 Empty Mugo Pine Research

Post  bonsaisr Sat May 22, 2010 6:17 pm

In Syracuse, we can go from 60 F (16 C) to below zero (-18 C) in a day & a half. Mugo pines are used in landscaping here. Bonsai are kept in the garage, cold-frame, etc. My hardy bonsai are in a sunporch (with the blinds drawn & a heater when necessary).
In a climate where it goes below freezing in winter, rock plantings are kept in a sheltered location. If a rock planting uses pines or other hardy trees, it is kept cool enough for the trees to go dormant, but above freezing, say, 33 to 45 F (1 to 7 C). I have a tropical rock planting that I keep under fluorescent lights in the winter.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Mugo Pine research - Page 2 Empty Removing all the old Needles

Post  Toshiro Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:55 pm

Hello,
I just saw this videowhere Ryan Neil talks about removing all of the old needles. I hope hos explanation helps.

https://youtu.be/Yn1FiRw2JBo?t=35m32s
Toshiro
Toshiro

Back to top Go down

Post  john jones Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:18 am

I have learned one thing about mugo pines: They start dying the day I order one. I have my last mugo pine on my patio now. It looks miserable, and I have done nothing but treat it well. When it goes, I will never have one of these monsters again.

john jones

Back to top Go down

Mugo Pine research - Page 2 Empty @ john jones

Post  Toshiro Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:37 pm

I bought my first one this week. Im going to tell every one not to even look at it funny
Toshiro
Toshiro

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down