Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

re: doban shapes?

3 posters

Go down

re: doban shapes? Empty re: doban shapes?

Post  an'ya Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:10 am

Hi, I am new to this forum. Can anyone tell me if a bronze doban may be a round shape? Thank you, an'ya

an'ya

Back to top Go down

re: doban shapes? Empty Re: re: doban shapes?

Post  Chris Cochrane Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:46 am

Hi An'ya.... The round suiban used for stones in Japan are typically paired at a moderately close fit (sand surrounding, but not extending far) to vertically mounted landscape-view stones (e.g. a mountain waterfall) with a near-round base. The famed historic suiseki Suenomatsuyama "Eternal Pine Mountain" is placed on a thin, round bronze tray (sahariban) with no sand, but this is an archaic form of display and not recommended for exhibition of a modern stone.

Chinese bronze containers used for flower display and incense burning have been adopted for displaying Korean suseok in Southern California-- Jim Greaves could explain & is an important initiator. You can reach him by writing "Guy Jim" as found in each California Aiseki Kai newsletter (available online)-- jimgreaves@roadrunner.com/ 1018 Pacific Street,Unit D, Santa Monica, CA 90405/ (310) 452-3680.

From Indonesia, we see trays made of molded composite material that is finished to look like bronze used widely for public stone exhibitions.

Use whatever enhances presentation of a stone for you or to present a Western viewing stone. I'd comfortably choose a round suiban for a vertically mounted landscape-view stone in a public exhibition; it is consistent with Japanese suiseki practice. As reference, this Japanese website, which requires using Google translate for non-Japanese speakers, includes an example or two of stones fitted in round suiban & commentary.

We share having much more to learn about Japanese practices, which vary. Choose a modest tray which will not overpower your stone in visual dominance. A powerful stone could look best on a somewhat decorated doban.

Hope that helps.
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

re: doban shapes? Empty thank you

Post  an'ya Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:29 pm

Thank you for your informative answer Chris. Information is always difficult to obtain when one is a beginner. I have more questions of course but don't want to overwhelm this forum, but is it possible to post photos of my suiseki? and if I have different questions, do I start a new thread for each one? Thanks again, an'ya

an'ya

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:19 pm

Hi An'ya... I hope you will share photos, comments and questions. There are tutorials on posting a digital photo in the first (topmost) section of the IBC Forum (see "Forum" tab). You'll find a gallery to test your ability to post a photo & help from moderators & members. People with real names get more attention from some of us, but your question was one not readily answered and it seemed best to attack it.

Knowing your collecting region/state might also extract better responses from people experienced with stones there.

Questions can be bunched or individual. Typically all questions regarding a single or single set of stones get covered in one thread so photos will not be repeated.

Welcome to the IBC Stone Forum!
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

re: doban shapes? Empty thanks again

Post  an'ya Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:01 pm

Thanks again for the welcome Chris. I think I've managed to upload a photo of my first suiseki display (pending moderator acceptance), with a story on how it came to be. My "real name" (actually my pen name) is an'ya <s>
. . . and I live in the state of Oregon, although originally from Southern California. I hope to learn more on this forum, post more questions and upload more pics, an'ya

an'ya

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:30 pm

Picture posts don't need moderator approval, and your total post count is still three, which are all on this thread, so I don't know what happened there. Please re-read the advice on picture posting here https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/testing-posting-images-tutorials-f4/tutorial-on-posting-pics-t243.htm and ask if you have any questions.

Good luck
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down