Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trident Feedback Please

4 posters

Go down

Trident Feedback Please Empty Trident Feedback Please

Post  Carolee Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:24 am

Here is a trident maple (Acer buergeranum) I obtained from a bonsai 'tree farm', growing in the ground Spring, 2007. I chopped it when I first planted it, in a cut down 3 gallon container. I planted it in a mica pot this week. I would like some ideas about whether I should again chop it and where: the green line or the red. I put some virtual 'branches' in red if I only chop the top inch or so. The diameter is about 1.5 inches (4 cm) at the soil line. Thanks for you help!

Trident Feedback Please Triden10
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

Trident Feedback Please Empty Re: Trident Feedback Please

Post  Will Heath Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:19 am

You need taper and movement, so I personally would chop at the lowest point then train a shoot back to the left, repeat and train to right, repeat......
Will Heath
Will Heath

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:12 am

Or you could air layer it at that point. They are easy to root and soon it will be the right time. I usually airlayer after the first flush of leaves has hardened off in late spring. The big bonus is that the air layered section will have a really good radial root spread that can be developed into an excellent nebari.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:00 pm

Have you examined the base of the tree carefully to see which has the best front in terms of nebari development? That may offer other ideas for chopping or layering.
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolee Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:48 pm

Will, I thought that was the case, but I still haven't learned true patience.
John, the current 'front' is the best nebari. When I re-potted, these roots were under the surface with small immature roots above.
Kev, would air layering stress the tree too much since I just repotted it?
Thanks for the advice.
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:32 pm

With most other trees it may be a bit risky but Tridents are so vigorous it should be OK. Take your cue from the tree. I'd say if you have wired it into the pot and you leave it for a few weeks after the leaves have opened, the roots will be active. If it is growing healthily and appears vigorous, go for it. If you have any doubts, leave it 'till next year.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolee Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:43 pm

Thanks Kev. I'll check it's growth/health after the leaves open.
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down