Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big oak collecting

5 posters

Go down

Big oak collecting Empty Big oak collecting

Post  littleart-fx Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:11 pm

Hi guy's and girls in little bonsai wonder land!

Question, since i have read a lot about collecting oak trees i've been thinking
I can dig out a rather huge oak tree, with permission.
Since the tree is just standing there as it caught my eye i have read a lot of counter writing words on

When to dig out
How to dig out
How to pot
And how to help it recover,...

Best bet is on,......

http://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATquercus%20rootpruning%20and%20repotting.htm

And i hate betting,......

This tree has a lot of potential, tickled by goats for many years (should have filmed that) and
i did some root pruning with a spade round it for 3 years now.
It still has it,s main carrot (haha!) fiercely deep down (couldnt / wouldnt reach that)

Help please on this rather woauwsome tree!

grtzz machiel
littleart-fx
littleart-fx

Back to top Go down

Big oak collecting Empty Big oak collecting

Post  Guest Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:39 pm

Hello Machiel. I have collected a number of Oaks but always in the Spring, before leaf. Collect as much root as you can as there are huge energy reserves, stored there. You could leave collecting until bud burst but I would be hesitant to dig up an Oak in full leaf, especially a big one. Good luck.

Back to top Go down

Big oak collecting Empty Re: Big oak collecting

Post  Kev Bailey Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:05 pm

I agree with Will. Late autumn or early spring has always worked well for me and my friends, who have collected many large Oak yamadori. I've got three that I'm working on, including this one. I've shown it before on the old forum.

Big oak collecting Myoak10
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jferrier Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:14 pm

What kind of oak is that Kev?

jferrier

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:19 pm

Quercus robur, commonly known as Pedunculate Oak or English oak but actually it is Welsh Wink
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  anttal63 Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:01 pm

Kev That is a great looking Oak! When you say late autumn, is that once the leaves have dropped? Also what kind of soil mix do you guys use for a freshly dug up Oak? Do you put them straight back out into the sun or otherwise? Thanks in advance cheers
anttal63
anttal63

Back to top Go down

Post  littleart-fx Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:19 pm

Nice tree Kev!

I wil get my spade out soon, i guess.
Potting and soil, was the other question?
I guess Soil where it stood in (fungi etc) normal potting soil mixed with accadama and splitt

1/4.....................................................1/4....................................1/4..............1/4

Grtzz machiel!
littleart-fx
littleart-fx

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:27 pm

Kev Bailey wrote:Quercus robur, commonly known as Pedunculate Oak or English oak but actually it is Welsh Wink
Love your Oak Kev. We don't see enough of your trees. When you say Wales, do you mean West England Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:51 pm

Ah, Will you tread a dangerous line. Thankfully, I'm not a narionalist and your house is safe! Very Happy

And by the way, I'm too busy with the site to take updated photo's at the mo!
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  anttal63 Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:13 pm

anttal63 wrote:Kev That is a great looking Oak! When you say late autumn, is that once the leaves have dropped? Also what kind of soil mix do you guys use for a freshly dug up Oak? Do you put them straight back out into the sun or otherwise? Thanks in advance cheers

Please......... study cheers
anttal63
anttal63

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:34 pm

In late Autumn or Spring, the sun in the UK is anything but fierce, so its not really an issue.In warmer climates I would give some protection. As far as soil goes, anything open. A mix of Akadama, Kiryu and pine bark for organic matter. Cat litter or grit with some humus. They're not that fussy really.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:45 pm

Sorry Anttal, yes this one was collected in November. No original soil was retained. It was bare rooted and went straight into grit, peat, akadama mix in a box just large enough for the root collected. I kept it in an unheated glasshouse, fretted all winter and prayed that buds would fatten. Then rejoiced when they did. Since then I've collected in both autumn and spring succesfully. In fact, I'd go so far as to say these Oaks are easy to collect.

This one's story was included in one of Craig Coussins books, a few years ago.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  anttal63 Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:00 pm

Thankyou fellas. I collected a few rippa's last year after bud burst, before leaves harden off but sadly lost all 3. Following advice i was given from a guy who does have success with this timing. The soil was open and organic and i had them in position to only get morning sun. Well try again this year in Autmn. cheers
anttal63
anttal63

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:12 pm

Collecting after bud burst was badly advised. That is when a tree has expended a lot of its stored energy pushing new leaves. To me that is a recipe for disaster. Just before bud burst is when it is absolutely ready, with all of its stored energy to produce new roots and leaves.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littleart-fx Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:55 pm

Thank you for this information,........it has to defrost first outside...... sick and tiered of the cold and i can't wait!!!!

Grtzz machiel
littleart-fx
littleart-fx

Back to top Go down

Post  anttal63 Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:17 pm

Kev Bailey wrote:Collecting after bud burst was badly advised. That is when a tree has expended a lot of its stored energy pushing new leaves. To me that is a recipe for disaster. Just before bud burst is when it is absolutely ready, with all of its stored energy to produce new roots and leaves.

thats the way i see it too, with collecting all deciduous. thanks kev. You know there's time's to listen to people and there's time to listen to your self. Heres a pic of one. cheers

Big oak collecting 14102010
anttal63
anttal63

Back to top Go down

Post  Cees Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:38 pm

Good luck with the collection Machiel.
Really like to see your tree.

Greetings,
Cees.
Cees
Cees