Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms

+73
abcd
BobbyLane
Richard S
bonsaiboy50
Frojo
JoesBonsai
Plecostomus
Sam Ogranaja
milehigh_7
mambo
AndyRutledge
Ryan B
my nellie
marcus watts
Mitch Thomas
BrianG
Rui Marques
Mário Eusébio
Viriato Oliveira
jrodriguez
Andre Beaurain
Gary Swiech
William Feldman
Jay Gaydosh
AJ
Matija Triglav Tijek
ROBOKU
Ronald kelly
suthin
bontailo
littleart-fx
Russell Coker
dorothy7774
Smithy
Andrija Zokic
Chris Cochrane
Peter E.
Roger Snipes
anttal63
fiona
Jay Wilson
Todd Ellis
Paul Landis
Arzivenko
bigsteve
pine queen
AlainK
John Quinn
Randy_Davis
Tom
Ed van der Reek
Nik Rozman
eric sanders
Mario Stefano
Kev Bailey
iasnore
peter krebs
sitarbonsai
andy mcconnell
p@scal
Pavel Slovák
JimLewis
amazonida
RyanFrye
Marlon Machado
Fuzzy
Rick Moquin
Tom Simonyi
Walter Pall
Storm
Hans Vleugels
Velodog2
Rob Kempinski
77 posters

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms - Page 2 Empty Re: Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms

Post  Velodog2 Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:21 am

A boxwood with a slightly different twist on broom style.

Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms - Page 2 Img_3111

Velodog2

Back to top Go down

Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms - Page 2 Empty Re: Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms

Post  sitarbonsai Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:49 am

Walter Pall, it is always worth mentioning the top quality of your bonsai. Your bonsai are the best I've seen in the world. You have a God-given talent for your skill in the art of bonsai.

Justin
sitarbonsai
sitarbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Walter Pall Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:05 am

RyanFrye wrote:
JimLewis wrote:Yup. Lovely as all of those trees are, I think many of them fit only the most liberal definition of broom style.

Agreed.

"The vast majority of human beings dislike and even dread all notions with which they are not familiar. Hence it comes about that at their first appearance innovators have always been derided as fools and madmen." - Aldous Huxley (1894-1963)
Walter Pall
Walter Pall

Michigander likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  peter krebs Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:09 pm

Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms - Page 2 Berg0110

Best regards
Peter

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:15 pm

peter krebs wrote:Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms - Page 2 Berg0110

Best regards
Peter

Beautiful tree Peter. Nice pot too. sunny One of yours?
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  RyanFrye Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:42 pm

Walter Pall wrote:
RyanFrye wrote:
JimLewis wrote:Yup. Lovely as all of those trees are, I think many of them fit only the most liberal definition of broom style.

Agreed.

"The vast majority of human beings dislike and even dread all notions with which they are not familiar. Hence it comes about that at their first appearance innovators have always been derided as fools and madmen." - Aldous Huxley (1894-1963)

Nobody said they "disliked" your trees (in fact the opposite was said)....it's just that you're trying to fit a square peg in a round hole as it were. If any innovation is to be had in your case it is innovation in the realm of the informal upright, not the broom style. And credit of this innovation being award solely to you is questionable....
RyanFrye
RyanFrye

Back to top Go down

Post  peter krebs Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:36 pm

Hi Rob,

yes, this pot I have make pottery particularly for this tree.

regards
Peter

Last edited by peter krebs on Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
peter krebs
peter krebs

Back to top Go down

Post  iasnore Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:33 pm

" They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
Carl Sagan (1934-1996)
iasnore
iasnore

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:13 pm

Please, please, please . . . let's not go to "rules." affraid

Labels we can talk about, though. "Broom" was coined -- I think -- to bespeak the resemblance to more primitive sweeping tools -- a bundle of straw tied together on a handle of some sort very much like the whisk picture someone posted here early on. (Someone else posted a push broom, but thankfully few of these bonsai resembled it!)

Broom trees under this image have a relatively short trunk, then a fan of branches spreading upward and outward, much like the whisk.

The other trees, shown here and called "broom style" -- a central trunk, with branches spaced around it as it tapers into a rounded apex totally loose that "broomish" look; there aren't any sweeping tools to my knowledge that resemble them. They need to be called something else, and "informal upright," while not as descriptive as "broom" fits the bill as well as anything we have at this point. (But maybe some sort of a "brush?" Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms - Page 2 Viewpi10
Confused )

A deciduous "informal upright" wouldn't have the pointy top that a conifer with the same name might have. Otherwise, the form would be quite similar. There's nothing wrong with that and they're NOT "pine tree" bonsai.

But they're not "brooms" either.

IMO, of course.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:09 pm

I think John Naka nailed the versatility of this style in his second book, page 149-160. Some really great images. Don't worry so much about the name of the style but the image that it conveys.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:34 pm

I'm of the same opinion Rob. And I'll add Charles Ceronio's Bonsai Styles of the World, pages 38 to 47 where he sketches more than 20 pretty distinct variants of the traditional broom style.

I love all that have been posted as they emulate miniaturised broadleaved trees from nature.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mario Stefano Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:08 pm

Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms - Page 2 Azalea

Best regards
Mario
Mario Stefano
Mario Stefano

Back to top Go down

Post  eric sanders Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:53 pm

whoooow Mario!!!!!!!!!!! very nice
eric sanders
eric sanders

Back to top Go down

Post  Nik Rozman Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:28 pm

shohin firethorn
only about 15cm high
Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms - Page 2 23-11-2009
Nik Rozman
Nik Rozman

Back to top Go down

Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms - Page 2 Empty Zelkova

Post  Ed van der Reek Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:25 pm

This is the first bonsai I bought, and it's because off this tree I get involved with this fascination bonsai-hobby Smile
It's a zelkova and his height is 15 cm.
I have got better tree's in my collection,but because it was my first tree it is very special for me.
Gr Ed
Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms - Page 2 Img_5410
Ed van der Reek
Ed van der Reek

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:42 pm

Ed van der Reek wrote:
Are you sure that's a Zelkova? looks very much like a Chinese Elm to me.
There was a period a few years back (and maybe even now, I don't know) when the big importers bringing Bonsai into the UK garden centre trade were labelling Chinese Elms as Zelkovas. I presumed at the time it was to try to get round some import restrictions.

EDIT: or is the common name for the tree different where you live?

Last edited by Tom on Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tom
Tom

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:44 pm

Corkbark Elm (Ulmus parvifolia "corticosa")

Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms - Page 2 U_p_co11
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:08 am

Here is a small Zelkova I have been working on for several years...the base was air layered to rid the tree of an ugly knob at the bottom, and is just now starting to come along.
The last image is a Zelkova I saw at the Green Club in Tokyo.
Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms - Page 2 Zelkov10
Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms - Page 2 Zelkov11
Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms - Page 2 Zelkov12
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Mario Stefano Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:25 am

pascal47 wrote:
pascal47 wrote:Good evening Mr. Slovak,

Beautiful tree .. I have to take one, but I do not know much about this case, can you give me advice. Easy or not bonsai .. Question

Thank you
Hi,

Well, no answer Cool , no one can answer on this species, le berberis Question

Thank you

Berberis is a durable tree, fast growing root, but the tree develops a hedge, slow thicker branches, and the owner likes to hurt their tiny thorns.
I love the colors berberis leaf, which responds to the amount of light. I have two berberis, but I no want more!

3 season growing:
Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms - Page 2 Img310001w
Mario Stefano
Mario Stefano

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:38 am

Hi Pascal.
Sorry, I overlooked the question. Embarassed

Berberis is my modest tree. Conversion of an old bush is not a problem. Aggressively growing in the container. Unfortunately, mold can be a very young branch.Has a delicate wood and breaking. Unfortunately not like the wire branches.Shaping mostly cut. Or branches carefully to make and download the necessary position.(see photo) Winters with no problem.

Pavel
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  p@scal Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:40 am

Mario Stefano wrote:
pascal47 wrote:
pascal47 wrote:Good evening Mr. Slovak,

Beautiful tree .. I have to take one, but I do not know much about this case, can you give me advice. Easy or not bonsai .. Question

Thank you
Hi,

Well, no answer Cool , no one can answer on this species, le berberis Question

Thank you

Berberis is a durable tree, fast growing root, but the tree develops a hedge, slow thicker branches, and the owner likes to hurt their tiny thorns.
I love the colors berberis leaf, which responds to the amount of light. I have two berberis, but I no want more!

3 season growing:
Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms - Page 2 Img310001w

Hello and thank you Mario,

Why do you want more? beautiful Ecorse River

p@scal

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:58 pm

Ed van der Reek wrote:This is the first bonsai I bought, and it's because off this tree I get involved with this fascination bonsai-hobby Smile
I have got better tree's in my collection,but because it was my first tree it is very special for me.
Gr Ed
Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms - Page 2 Img_5410

Ed, It's a cute tree but I don't consider this a broom style. The trunk is too wiggly.

BYW, I'd make two bonsai out of this. Chop/layer the top and let sprouts grow off the chop.

Last edited by Rob Kempinski on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:59 pm

pine queen wrote:OK, I give, nice broom style. Very Happy

Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms - Page 2 Bb10

Ok, you posted enough to reveal your wry wit but this tree I don't consider a broom either. It's an IFU.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:12 pm

There's a good example of what some might call a cross between a "broom" and a "clump", or a "broom without a handle" on Esprits de Goshin.

It's a tree posted by a new member, from Brazil, and the species is Patagonula americana L.

Patagonula americana L.
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:42 pm

Let's sweep the comments about what is a broom or not under the rug and look at some more broom style bonsai. Here is one I photographed at Mr. K. Kobyashi's in early fall color. Couple of comments - if you were to put all these Zelkova brooms in a row, wouldn't it look rather boring? The Zelkova broom as executed here appears to have some reverse taper. Acceptable for a broom, n'est pas?

Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms - Page 2 Kobaya10
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next