Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aloha From Maui, Hawaii

+4
Harleyrider
JimLewis
Jay Gaydosh
Hawaiian77
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Aloha From Maui, Hawaii Empty Aloha From Maui, Hawaii

Post  Hawaiian77 Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:11 pm

Aloha Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and wanted to say "Howzit". Very Happy Also wanted to share my "Tiger Bark/Taiwan ficus wtih ya'll. This is the first time I defoliated and wired this fig. I got it as a pre-bonsai six months ago.

Mahalo & Aloha,
-Tim
Cool
Aloha From Maui, Hawaii Tiger_14
Aloha From Maui, Hawaii Img_0215
Aloha From Maui, Hawaii Img_0216
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Aloha From Maui, Hawaii Empty Re: Aloha From Maui, Hawaii

Post  Jay Gaydosh Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:15 pm

Well, if your really want to share your Tiger Bark Ficus, I'll send you my address! Laughing

Welcome to the forum and Aloha from Illinois! ThumbsUp

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:20 pm

Hi, and welcome to the IBC from Hawaii. Where in Maui are you? I've lived in Hawaii a couple of different times, and got to Maui once or twice.

You have a very nice tree, there.

But . . . for a cascading tree that is leaning so definitely in one direction, the top seems to me to be going off in several directions.

You might glance at the windswept discussion that's going on now here.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:36 am

Howzit Guys,

Mahalo (Thank You) for the warm Aloha. Very Happy

Jim, Mahalo for your input on my ficus. Will look into the discussion on windswept latter. I live in Kihei thats on the south side of the island. Hopefully you'll come a visit us again.

Jay, I would love to send my Tiger Bark to Illinois but I think it's to cold right now over there. I don't think my fig can handle it nor me!! Sad Anything below 72 degrees is to cold for me man!! Shocked I'll be in my shocks, sweat pants, two blankets and hanging on to "Miss Kitty"!! (Woo-Hoo) thumbs up

Also, I want ya'll to see this youtube video that I made of my friend s bonsai farm in Olinda, Maui. Enjoy. Smile

-Tim Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0vIfgXkb1c
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:59 am

I'm not sure about you, but I've been freezing my figs off! Laughing

I't right at freezing right now, but the last three weeks have required
a major heat wave to get up to freezing.

All my Ficus are at work, the other tropicals are in the basement.

Still working on the video... Can I move in...PLEEEASE!

Looks amazing,

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:31 am

Jay Gaydosh wrote:I'm not sure about you, but I've been freezing my figs off! Laughing

I't right at freezing right now, but the last three weeks have required
a major heat wave to get up to freezing.

All my Ficus are at work, the other tropicals are in the basement.

Still working on the video... Can I move in...PLEEEASE!

Looks amazing,

Jay

Sure Jay........ come on down man, I got a dog house that you can stay in!! lol!
I've been watching the news and some parts of the states are really having some nasty weather. Over here it's been kinda cool, highs about in the 79's and the low about in the 68's with 58% humidity. Dance I tell you what, when I get a chance I'll send over some sunshine!! (Woo-Hoo) thumbs up

-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:14 pm

This morning it's hovering right around freezing. The ride to work was OK for me, but several accidents on the highway appear to have been caused by freezing rain. Nearly fell on our butts when we got out of the truck at work because the parking lot was glazed over. And it's getting worse!

That dog house is soundin g pretty good right now!
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:55 pm

Well my friend, stay safe!! It's been nice so I don't have to water my bonsai's as much. About twice a week. Longer for the fig because I want it to dry out a bit.

How's it for you, how do water you trees when it snowing outside??

-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:10 pm

My tropicals are watered twice a week, by hand and monitored for possible indoor complications (humidity, heat/cold extremes and bugs).

The majority of my trees are dormant and in my cold frame. They only get watered if there is a warming period and the roots thaw out. Then I give them a good drink and make sure they drain well and put them back to bed until the next warming period.
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:15 pm

Mahalo Cuz..... I'm just about to leave for work (State of Hi/DOT/Hwys) I'll catch up with you later!! Have a good day. Very Happy

-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:57 am

Howzit Jay,

Do you have any Azaleas and how do you keep them? I'm getting in to Azaleas a lot more now. I have two that are coming from California next month. Dance

-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:38 pm

I have 3 Azaeleas all in the beginning stages of developement. They should be hardy to 20 degrees (some varieties colder) if kept out of the sun and, especially, out of the wind. Mine are currently in my cold frame (out of the wind) and placed all the way back toward my garage (out of direct sunlight. I hope to open the frame up this weekend to give them a drink and some fresh air. Only time will tell as far as surviving the winter.
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:31 pm

Howzit Jay,

Mahalo for the information, I was just wondering how you keep them in such cold weather. When you get a chance check out this website.

http://essenceofthetree.com/

There from California and they have some nice imported Azaleas from Japan. I order two and it wil be shipped out next month. Also, if your into Japanese maples they have a lot of nice stuff that you would go off on. That's there thing Japanese maples of all kinds. I really like Azaleas and one of them is about to bloom. It's not a Japanese import it's a "Wal-Mart" special!! It's a Nuccio' Carnival. The other one is an import a Hoshi No Sato.

-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:47 pm

Aloha Tim, or as we say here in Manchester, Allright mate, how's it hanging? Very Happy

I'm loving the video, very impressive. Just wait till Kev sees it (he's one of our our resident video/photography gurus), you and he will have loads to talk about.
The only thing I felt was missing from the video was some narrative, possibly your friend (the owner of the nursery) giving us a little background info and showing/talking about some of his specimen trees. A project for the future, perhaps?

Anyway, good to have you on board, my friend. Just stop telling us how warm it is where you are, please. We're all freezing our nuts off! Mad

S'later

Steve
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:05 pm

Howzit Steve,

Mahalo (Thank You) for the nice review. I know what you mean, I wanted him to talk about his bonsai farm but you know what happens when you put a camera in front of someone's face they forget there names!! lol! He wants me to do another one so we see what happens.

Again, Mahalo for the warm welcome and just to let you know there's a cold front that is passing the islands with winds blowing at about 30mpr and the temps at about 76 degrees!! (Woo-Hoo!!) Dance

-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  Wm Tom Davis Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:02 pm

Howzit Brudda bruddas!!!

Mahalo fo sharing da kine stories an pictures. Nice.
Aloha to IBC! Get some good fun hea an some akamai advice.

Me ke aloha pumehana.
Wm Tom Davis
Wm Tom Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:35 pm

Wm Tom Davis wrote:Howzit Brudda bruddas!!!

Mahalo fo sharing da kine stories an pictures. Nice.
Aloha to IBC! Get some good fun hea an some akamai advice.

Me ke aloha pumehana.

Whazzup Cuz!!!!!!! Thanx fo da warm Aloha. And so what??, You know I going ask you dis, what one Hawaiian doing in "Chicago"?? And on the south side of Chicago more worst!! And what?? you no miss da islands? I bet you miss da plate-launches, da poi, da lulu, Filipino food. Cuz, I make one mean "Guava Chicken" baby!! (Woo-Hoo) Dance

So what island you from? Please no tell me you from Maui. Cuz, not going get enough room on this forum to find out about the auntys & uncles, cousins, and pet dogs we have!! lol!

Anyway Cuz, Much Mahalos and it's good to know get one more Hawaiian out there making troubles!!

Aloha No Kako,

-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:08 am

You got my mouth watering for the Guava Chicken. When I was stationed in Oceanside, CA with the Marines, I worked part time off base with the Malifua family (Samoan). AND they were all great cooks! I would volunteer to be Hawaiian or Samoan, but I can't keep a lava lava up. I think it's a white boy thing!

We're having a heat wave here. made it up to 43*F. I opened up the cold frame, gave the kids a drink and let them breath in the fresh air all day. So far everything looks good. Only time will tell.

I did get sick (Christmas Eve through the 2nd week of January, with pneumonia. When I called work to have them babysit my tropicals, I forgot 2 trees in an odd windowsill. OOPS, one less Ficus to worry about, but the other one made it OK. I was worried about my Orange Jasmine, but it seemed to pull through just fine. It is only just finishing up it's first year since planting the seed and it is supposed to be cold sensitive.

Now bout that CHICKEN, Cuz!

Have a great week cheers

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:05 am

O.K. Jay, Here it is.......

Guava Chicken
5 lbs. Box Chicken Thighs
6 oz. Can Frozen Guava Nectar (or any frozen concentrate you like)
1/2 cup Suger
1/4tsp. Chinese Five Spice
1/2 cup Oyster Sauce
1/2 cup Shoyu (Soy Sauce)
1/2tsp. Salt
1/2 cup Catsup
2 Cloves Garlic, Miaced

Boil chicken thighs till just about done. Don't have to be all the way though. Let cool down a bit.

Mix necter/frozen concentrate with catsup, shoyu, suger, oyster sauce, salt and garlic. Marinate over night, turning occasionally. If the chicken is still a little warm when you put it in the marinated that's O.K. Then BBQ till done. You don't have to boil Chicken if you don't want to but is cooks a little faster. Enjoy!! thumbs up

Also Cuz, I just made "Kalua" pig (Roasted Pork) in a slow cooker and it's been 10 hours now and it's coming out after this. (Woo-Hoo) Dance

-Tim Cool

Last edited by Hawaiian77 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:41 am

What, I got a recipe, I thought that's what you were going
to feed me while I was staying in your dog house! lol!

Sounds simple and delicious.

Son't tell anyone else, we'll just make this our little secret. thumbs up

Who said we can't find things to do when our trees are sleeping!
Guava chicken anyone?

Thanks Tim,

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:47 am

Ha'ole Pilikea (No Problem). Feed You!! That will cost you another dollar!! Laughing But I would love to see you in a "Lava Lava"!! (Woo-Hoo!!) lol!

-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:33 am

No one has ever seen me in a lava lava. I was once almost seen out of a lava lava. Embarassed Thats how I learned that white guys are built wrong for the lava lava! Laughing

That's why I wear a kilt, it comes with a big honking belt to hold it up. Cool
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:38 am

You know Cuz..... I was going to say something about the kilt but I'm not going to go there!! affraid But you do have a great looking son/grandson. He looks like a killer. I think he looks better in then you!! lol!

-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:56 am

Hawaiian77 wrote:You know Cuz..... I was going to say something about the kilt but I'm not going to go there!! affraid But you do have a great looking son/grandson. He looks like a killer. I think he looks better in then you!! lol!

-Tim Cool

Grandson, and I agree with you, he looks much better than I do. (Just between you and me the picture is 8 years old, so I'm older and uglier, he's bigger, and he still looks better than me.)

Dance
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:52 am

LOL!!!!!!!!!!lol! You Da Man!!!!! Laughing

-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down