Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Blue Star" Juniper?

+4
JimLewis
bonsaisr
Dave Murphy
sitarbonsai
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

"Blue Star" Juniper? - Page 2 Empty Re: "Blue Star" Juniper?

Post  sitarbonsai Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:45 am

will baddeley wrote:Can you get a close up of the foliage. Looks like a cryptomeria.

I would like to, but as I stated it's hard to get pictures up online in my family
I already got a hold of my dad's camera once this year! Smile
but, I will inform you that the foliage resembles that much more of a juniper than a cypress

kinda looks like this:
"Blue Star" Juniper? - Page 2 Junipe10

also:
"Blue Star" Juniper? - Page 2 Junipe11

Thanks,

Justin
sitarbonsai
sitarbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  EdMerc Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:35 am

Rick Moquin wrote:Junipers back bud on old wood cypresses don't

When speaking of cypress in Florida, more often than not, the subject is Taxodium distichum. Not Chamaecyparis obtusa.

Taxodium distichum (Bald Cypress) do sprout new growth on old wood... profusely. Not to muddy the waters, but young Justin is sure to come across a Bald Cypress before too long if he's half as motivated as he seems to be.

Ed
EdMerc
EdMerc

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:55 am

Ah, the curse of the common name. Taxodium distichum may be named Bald or Swamp Cypress, but it is not a Cypress at all. It is a deciduous conifer and like Larix and Ginkgo it does bud back on wood with no needles/leaves (when you think about it, it has to really). All other "evergreen" conifers are much more reluctant.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Moquin Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:40 pm

EdMerc wrote:
Rick Moquin wrote:Junipers back bud on old wood cypresses don't

When speaking of cypress in Florida, more often than not, the subject is Taxodium distichum. Not Chamaecyparis obtusa.

Taxodium distichum (Bald Cypress) do sprout new growth on old wood... profusely. Not to muddy the waters, but young Justin is sure to come across a Bald Cypress before too long if he's half as motivated as he seems to be.

Ed

I am totally confused here. What does a "Bald Cypress" have to do with this particular thread? As Kevin stated a BC is not a Chamaecyparis but a Taxodium. Although certain Chamaecyparis cultivars will back bud on old wood, it is safer to say that none of them do. That way there we are not disappointed when they don't and just plain happy if they do. Having said that, the % is so small that it is negligible and hence why we can safely say that "Chamaecyparis" do not back bud on old wood.

Based on the photos provided (unclear) it sure does not look like a juniper to me. I have a Juniperus squamata "Blue star" and it doesn't look anything like the photo buddy posted. I also have a Chamaecyparis pisifera "Boulevard", once again does not look anything like the photo provided, mind you better lighting might help.
Rick Moquin
Rick Moquin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:50 pm

Yes the picture is very unclear but the growth habit does look like a Cryptomeria to me.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:07 pm

The poor earlier photo is not the same species, it has an entirely different habit. If you want an ID you will have to provide a better shot.

The later photo's are Juniperus squamata Blue Star. After Googling it, I find that the excellent close up photo posted is the Wikimedia commons licensed one of Juniperus squamata Blue Star!

It might be a dwarf Cryptomeria variety, as Will says, but it could be a number of others also.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Moquin Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:30 pm

After spending a few moments on Google, it could very well be a Cryptomeria Japonica, of which there are several cultivars.
Rick Moquin
Rick Moquin

Back to top Go down

Post  sitarbonsai Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:45 pm

Hey guys,
thanks for all the input and sorry i can't get a better picture, but like I stated it's hard to get a hold of a camera in my family
and the later pictures aren't my tree, just the closest foliage I could find resembling it
but, I'm sure now it's a juniperus squamata
it just makes sense. The guy at the nursery told me "Blue Star" Cypress and it has foliage resembling that of a "Blue Star" juniper
pretty simple
I don't really think it's a strange type of cypress
but, thanks again for all the help

Justin
sitarbonsai
sitarbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  EdMerc Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:12 pm

Rick Moquin wrote: What does a "Bald Cypress" have to do with this particular thread?

I thought my post was clear. Why the confusion? Justin is new to bonsai, and as such, I imagine new to trees as well. When you you make the statement "Cypress don't bud back" this can easily confuse someone into thinking this includes bald cypress. The most common tree you are likely to find in a Florida nursery with the word "cypress" attached to it.

Had you said that Chamaecyparis don't bud back then there would not have been a clarification on my part. My post was not meant for you, but for the young mans edification.

Thanks,
Ed
EdMerc
EdMerc

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:50 pm

[quote="EdMerc"]
Rick Moquin wrote: Had you said that Chamaecyparis don't bud back then there would not have been a clarification on my part.

I have one Chamaecyparis. In reading up on the specifics on this tree I was puzzled to find Chamaecyparis is listed as not budding on old wood. The reason I'm puzzled is because mMine has budded on the main truck. Once up by the bottom 2 branches and one by the base of the trunk. Now I'm not one to argue with them what knows their trees better than moi... but I do remain puzzled!

I'll see if I can find photos.

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  sitarbonsai Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:58 pm

EdMerc wrote:
Rick Moquin wrote: What does a "Bald Cypress" have to do with this particular thread?

I thought my post was clear. Why the confusion? Justin is new to bonsai, and as such, I imagine new to trees as well. When you you make the statement "Cypress don't bud back" this can easily confuse someone into thinking this includes bald cypress. The most common tree you are likely to find in a Florida nursery with the word "cypress" attached to it.

Had you said that Chamaecyparis don't bud back then there would not have been a clarification on my part. My post was not meant for you, but for the young mans edification.

Thanks,
Ed

Smile I'm not really new to trees, but I didn't know about the Bald Cypress not being a cypress, and actually a deciduous conifer. I'm glad to have found out.
Thanks,

Justin
sitarbonsai
sitarbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Moquin Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:13 pm

[quote="Jay Gaydosh"]
EdMerc wrote:
Rick Moquin wrote: Had you said that Chamaecyparis don't bud back then there would not have been a clarification on my part.

I have one Chamaecyparis. In reading up on the specifics on this tree I was puzzled to find Chamaecyparis is listed as not budding on old wood. The reason I'm puzzled is because mMine has budded on the main truck. Once up by the bottom 2 branches and one by the base of the trunk. Now I'm not one to argue with them what knows their trees better than moi... but I do remain puzzled!

I'll see if I can find photos.

Jay

Jay,

Please go back and read my post. You quoted Ed, not me. This is what I said...

<<Although certain Chamaecyparis cultivars will back bud on old wood, it is safer to say that none of them do. That way there we are not disappointed when they don't and just plain happy if they do. Having said that, the % is so small that it is negligible and hence why we can safely say that "Chamaecyparis" do not back bud on old wood.>>
Rick Moquin
Rick Moquin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:18 pm

Rick, I wasn't concentrating on the who in the quote, but the quote itself. It was a matter of selective pruning of the quote and I missed a branch. It wasn't that important.
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next