Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carving tools preferences?

3 posters

Go down

Carving tools preferences? Empty Carving tools preferences?

Post  TreeKiller64 Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:33 am

All,
Been awhile for me to get back on the IBC. But I have recently purchased some high speed carving bits from Graham Potter's site, and am wondering from any of you that have experience in this, what kind of die grinder you use for these styles of bits? Got alot to carve and little time.
Thanks in advance,,,,
KJ
TreeKiller64
TreeKiller64

Back to top Go down

Carving tools preferences? Empty Re: Carving tools preferences?

Post  Marty Weiser Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:19 am

You want something with variable speed. The typical Makita or similar 1/4" / 6 mm die grinder at 25,000 rpm is too fast for anything but very coarse carving. The larger the bit the slower the desired speed.

Marty Weiser

TreeKiller64 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:08 pm

Hi KJ.

About 25 yrs ago, Dan Barton hosted Tom Zane (RIP 2019) & me at his home. Dan had every conceivable carving tool & a representative sampling of most carving bits at the time. We spent at least half a day practicing with different tools & bits. (What a delight! Thanks to Dan & Ce.) The only worthwhile carving tools had somewhat sharp ends so that they could be manipulated in small spaces. The best were light (weight is both a burden & impedes precision). I preferred using an infinitely variable foot pedal for speed adjustment to adjustments on the tool handle. As Marty notes, those larger flat disks that cut wood like butter on their circumference really need slowing.

When I returned to the USA, I chose a modest Foredom fex-shaft setup hanging the motor on a wrought iron light stand. Testing several bits, the redhead and bluehead (less aggressive) Foredom "Tungsten carbide burr" bits (once identified as the "Tornado-series") not only cut cleanly, but also, they self-extract wood from between the burrs due to special alignment.

I still use the Tornado bits-- more often for crafting suiseki daiza, now, but occasionally for a bonsai.
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down