Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Five Needle Pine in Switzerland

2 posters

Go down

Five Needle Pine in Switzerland Empty Five Needle Pine in Switzerland

Post  MichaelH_CH Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:26 am

Hi Guys

I'm new here an in the bonsai universe, and i have a question for you.

I bought a Five Needle Pine and got it yesterday Very Happy

Do you know if it would die, when i let it in my house during winter? Temperatur outside is between +3 or 4 to -5 degrees.

And you have any styling tips to get a nice tree?

Five Needle Pine

Five Needle Pine_2

Five Needle Pine_3

Thank you for your highly recomendet answers Smile

Greetings from switzerland
Michael

MichaelH_CH

Back to top Go down

Five Needle Pine in Switzerland Empty Re: Five Needle Pine in Switzerland

Post  Marty Weiser Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:40 am

if the lowest temperatures you expect are in the -5C range then I would heal the pot into the ground in a spot that gets some sun, but is protected from the wind. It should then do fine. It may even be good down to -10C once it is healed into the ground.

In the spring, I would wire the trunk to add some curves in multiple directions with the branches on the outside of the curves. You will want to reduce the number of shoots/candles to 2 at each branch tip now. In about May/June you will want to pinch the strongest growing candles by about 1/2 - 2/3 (more for stronger growing). This should be done just before the candles convert from whitish candles to shoots which show needles. The tree will take a few years to develop into a bonsai but it looks like a good start.

Finally, do you have the specific species and/or cultivar for this tree? There are many different five needle pines.

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelH_CH Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:06 pm

Hi Marty

Thank you very much, sometimes the temperatur (at night) ist about -10 and some days also could be very could.

Its a Pinus parviflora Glauca.

I think its best, when i cover the pot against frost and put it outside at a place where is no wind, right?

MichaelH_CH

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Weiser Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:11 am

That sounds like a good plan. I would definitely bury the pot in the ground if you can. I know some people put a insulating structure over the their trees as well to so the ground heat warms the air around the tree too.

Marty Weiser

MichaelH_CH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down