Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Root over rock

4 posters

Go down

Root over rock Empty Root over rock

Post  Marty Weiser Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:04 am

I thought I would post a medium sized root over rock trident maple I am working on. I planted the seed in 2008 and planted it on the rock in 2015 with the bottom half of the rock in a bulb pan and the upper roots covered. This year I finally potted it into bonsai pot and exposed the roots. Still has a ways to go, but it is coming along. I have some newer seedlings in tall skinny pots (6 cm square by 25 cm tall) to develop long roots that can be draped over rocks. Anyone else have a root over rock tree they would like to post? Even it if is in the early stages of development like mine.

Root over rock Img_6710

Marty Weiser

Vlad, leslonsdale and Dave Leppo like this post

Back to top Go down

Root over rock Empty Re: Root over rock

Post  Vlad Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:19 am

Very inspirative, Marty. I have started some ROR project only last year. Nothing to share right now. Eagerly waiting for the next year repotting. I feel, it is like opening a xmas present - what is inside?
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Weiser Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:42 pm

I feel that way every time I repot - a present I wrapped up for myself 2 - 5 years ago. When I explained it that way to my wife she finally understood why I actually enjoy the spring repotting season.

Marty Weiser

Dave Leppo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  leslonsdale Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:32 pm

Love your trident over rock.  The age is apparent!
Here's one I did, but hindsight tells me that I shouldn't have used limestone as it will crumble in a short time.  

Root over rock Triden13

trident over temple ruins.

Les Lonsdale
leslonsdale
leslonsdale

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Weiser Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:14 am

Les - Thanks for the nice comment on mine. I agree the age of the roots is good, but it needs lots of work topside.

I like yours a lot as well and the branching much better developed than mine. Limestone will generally hold up fairly well, although roots may penetrate between layers and cause some separation.

Marty

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Weiser Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:04 am

Here is a root over rock Scots Pine (P. sylvestris) that had started from seed in about 2006. I cleared out a bunch of foliage and wired it out over the past few days so I am showing both a spring and current picture. i also notices that one of the front roots was not in very good contact with the rock so I added some wire and blocks to push it back into place.

Root over rock Img_6713

Root over rock Img_6714

Root over rock Img_2611

Marty Weiser

Vlad likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:46 am

Marty nice project. Believe me I have rock also some of my trees might be suitable for ROR but never start. Perhaps some day Very Happy
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down