Root-over-Rock

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Root-over-Rock

Post  Tom Simonyi on Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:31 pm

This tree is currently under the care of a fellow grower...I am hoping to acquire it later this spring. Suggestions would be welcome.

Regards,
Tom

Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Re: Root-over-Rock

Post  Kev Bailey on Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:21 pm

Hi Tom,

Looks like it's planted over tufa. I'd be concerned that it would probably break down over the course of a few years and replacing the rock would be very difficult.

Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi on Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:26 pm

Kev...I believe the rock is inland coral, and not tufa....what are your feelings about losing/repositioning the root on the left?

Regards,
Tom

Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:31 pm

"inland coral"???????? Whatsit?

And I would wrap that root tightly to the rock in drywall, or grip tape and leaf it there until the tape rots off.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Inland Coral

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:05 pm

Limerock deposits that are the remains of prehistoric reefs mined in various parts of Florida for many years. Usually ground up for different uses.

Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey on Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:36 pm

Thanks Billy, that makes it slightly harder than Tufa which is redeposited calcium carbonate mixed with leaves etc. Coral is still a soft rock for planting on and being calcium carbonate, it too will slowly dissolve.

Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:15 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum