Scarlet firethorn_Pyracantha coccinea_Blossoms

Go down

Scarlet firethorn_Pyracantha coccinea_Blossoms Empty Scarlet firethorn_Pyracantha coccinea_Blossoms

Post  Vlad on Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:52 am

Height: 21 cm
Origin: from cuttings
Pot: the first one I was able to grasp in the storage
Relation: my favourite ( when in full bloom )

Scarlet firethorn_Pyracantha coccinea_Blossoms Blosso10
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Scarlet firethorn_Pyracantha coccinea_Blossoms Empty Re: Scarlet firethorn_Pyracantha coccinea_Blossoms

Post  John Quinn on Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:30 am

Lovely...thanks for the pic.

Back to top Go down

Scarlet firethorn_Pyracantha coccinea_Blossoms Empty Re: Scarlet firethorn_Pyracantha coccinea_Blossoms

Post  my nellie on Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:09 pm

Spectacular blossom!
Please kindly post a picture with the fruits, too Very Happy
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad on Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:16 pm

Maybe next time, Alexandra. Few days after taking this pic I have taken a pair of scissors... No single fruit this time. On the brighter side though, I have left some of the berries on my little blackthorn. They are still green but I will take and share a pic later this week.
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie on Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:25 pm

Thank you! Very Happy
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK on Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:10 am

Great tree !
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Lost2301 on Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:01 am

Nice tree, well done!
Lost2301
Lost2301

Back to top Go down

Post  Lost2301 on Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:46 am

How late in the growing season can you prune these back and still get flowers next spring? I have 5 of which only 1 bloomed. I did not cut back this year at all on that one.

Thanks,

Mike
Lost2301
Lost2301

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad on Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:57 pm

Lost2301 wrote:How late in the growing season can you prune these back and still get flowers next spring?

Hi Mike, as you mentioned Pyracanthas flower on last season shoots. So leaving the shoots untouched should results in massive flowering - providing the plant is healthy and well fed. I suppose that trimming/pruning in a mid summer should provide a good amount of time to produce new shoots and get some flower buds before the end of the growing season. Still possibility to shorten too long shoots to keep a reasonable outline of the crown.
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  Lost2301 on Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:10 pm

Hi Vlad,

Thanks for response. I thought that was the case. One of our club members has a very large one and it is beautiful when it has orange berries on it. My Pyracanthas like growing in different areas around the house. 2 like full sun in the backyard, the other 3 did not like full sun and I had to move them back to the east side of the house with afternoon shade. These 3 east side trees lost about two thirds of their leaves. By next year they were all leafed out again. I moved two of them under shade cloth this year and they love it there. I usually prune them back a couple times a season except for the one that bloomed ! Duh! I am putting one of them into our show next week. It will be interesting how the tree will be received at the show.

Thanks again for sharing you knowledge.
Lost2301
Lost2301

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad on Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:26 am

Good luck with your tree/s on the show, Mike.

Interesting point you have raised regarding the differencies between individual plants within the same species. They do differ as much as we do...
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum