Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Progression of a Texas Scarlet Quince

5 posters

Go down

Progression of a Texas Scarlet Quince Empty Progression of a Texas Scarlet Quince

Post  ericrobinson Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:44 pm

I dug this Quince out of a 4 foot wide clump in my yard back in October of 2005. At the time the trunk was 1.5” in diameter. Since it was in the middle of the thorn-infested clump I could not get much root mass. Very Happy However, this is not a problem with Quince as they root prolifically.
Progression of a Texas Scarlet Quince Chaeno18
Progression of a Texas Scarlet Quince Chaeno19
I allowed it to grow freely for 5 years before beginning to style it. The trunk is now 2” in diameter. The nebari has developed nicely too.

I reduced the trunk to the yellow line and wired the branches in January 2011.

Progression of a Texas Scarlet Quince Chaeno20
Progression of a Texas Scarlet Quince Chaeno21
My vision for the style of this tree includes sweeping branches to be consistent with the gently curving trunk. I need to introduce more movement into the branches. I wired this tree this Jan (2011) so that the wire is in place before bud break but I will wait until closer to spring to put more bends into the branches so that recovery and healing is closer at hand. (too cautious?)
Progression of a Texas Scarlet Quince Chaeno22

I’ll plant it into a blue pot to contrast beautifully with the intense orange –red blossoms and compliment the bright green foliage. I’ll rotate the Quince even more to the left upon planting as reflected in the virt to accentuate the curving trunk.
Progression of a Texas Scarlet Quince Chaeno23
ericrobinson
ericrobinson

Back to top Go down

Progression of a Texas Scarlet Quince Empty Re: Progression of a Texas Scarlet Quince

Post  Russell Coker Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:15 am

Looking good! How lucky you were to find such a nice, single trunk. They're usually just a pot of sticks.

Russell
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Progression of a Texas Scarlet Quince Empty Re: Progression of a Texas Scarlet Quince

Post  Sam Ogranaja Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:49 am

Great little tree. I love the flowers.

Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  ericrobinson Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:36 am

I potted it up in a round pot by Tom Holcomb (March 2011). The subtle colors of the pot compliment the bark color and texture. I want to tilt the tree more to the left at next repotting.

Progression of a Texas Scarlet Quince 100_3511

Progression of a Texas Scarlet Quince 100_3512
ericrobinson
ericrobinson

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:03 pm

ericrobinson wrote:I want to tilt the tree more to the left at next repotting.

And hopefully get it centered in the pot. It's really looking good. I searched a friend's nursery this spring for a good single trunk and never found one.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Martin Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:11 pm

The rootage looks very promising 360degs. by the look.
I wish you well, they are lovely plants which reward us with plenty of flowers.
Well done.
Dave Martin
Dave Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  ericrobinson Tue May 17, 2011 3:08 am

Progression of a Texas Scarlet Quince 100_3612
ericrobinson
ericrobinson

Back to top Go down

Post  roberthu526 Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:33 pm

You care it well!!!
roberthu526
roberthu526

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down