Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pinus Ponderosa

5 posters

Go down

Pinus Ponderosa  Empty Pinus Ponderosa

Post  Lost2301 Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:58 am

Here is a photo of my 2nd styled Ponderosa Pine tree. Any thoughts on the it?

Pinus Ponderosa  Img_1016
Lost2301
Lost2301

Back to top Go down

Pinus Ponderosa  Empty Re: Pinus Ponderosa

Post  Dirk Hoorelbeke Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:24 pm

Really nice bones on this one. I would style the foliage closer to the trunk and lower to accentuate the movement.

Dirk Hoorelbeke

Back to top Go down

Post  augustine Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:27 pm

Beautiful tree. I would start wiring (whenever it is appropriate for the tree's health) to create foliage pads.

Good luck,

augustine

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:35 pm

jin on right is distractingly loooong

jin in middle is distractingly confusing to my eye...

both are just my opinion and possibly attributable to the photo angle...

and agree with the others that the foliage needs structure

if it were mine i would consider a potting angle change as well...
maybe angled/inclined more toward the right... ?

this will be a nice tree !
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:38 pm

Mike, it is difficult to jugde on a single D2 shot.   Also I do not know the vitality of the tree and the character of its wood. You know - the wood of a true yamadories are very often quite brittle due to the harsh conditions they live in - tight growth rings.  The option that I would consider if the tree is mine  is based on the assumption that tree is kept in the well watered bonsai pot for a good number of years...

The base of the tree looks great.  The middle section while it seems straight has a nicely weathered shari ( there might be a slight bent to be back on it? ). The top part looks quite busy and tells me different story than the rest of the tree.  To deal with that I would try to increase the angle of the "elbow" to something close to 140-150°.   To get there I would make a bend on the top part of the middle section ( to the left and back ). This would raise the adjacent top section a bit.  To raise it even more one would need probably to drill a hole into this section to allow its reposition.  Then I would also adjust the other bend in the top section - making it more straight.  Reduce the lenght of the jin in the top. An adjustment of its direction will be needed. The primary branch on the right - low hanging - to counterbalance the movement of the trunk.  

I will also deal with the nebari. How does it look like?

Gosh.  As you can see I am really  not an easy going bonsai chap.

Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  Lost2301 Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:50 pm

Thanks for all the replies, there are a lot of suggestions to consider! The tree was just potted this summer so it will be a while before it is repotted. The angle of the tree was dramatically changed to where it is now. It was around a 30 degree angle  from the soil and going to the right and leaning away from you. So much was changed to start with. I will consider all of these suggestions.

Thanks again.
Lost2301
Lost2301

Back to top Go down

Post  Lost2301 Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:27 pm

I did some more work on the tree, nothing major just cleaning downward hanging needles that I missed before. Here is a photo of it at the show last weekend.

Pinus Ponderosa  Dscn8410
Lost2301
Lost2301

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down