Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One of my Hawthorns

2 posters

Go down

One of my Hawthorns Empty One of my Hawthorns

Post  MKBonsai Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:18 pm

So the big day has arrived - I've finally got around to posting some pictures of some of my trees!

So here's a couple of snaps of one of my Hawthorns that I've just been working on. It was collected around 4 -5 years ago and has been left in a large container to allow it to recover and grow some roots - but this year I'm starting to work on it in earnest and have carried out some initial carving, pruning and wiring with the aim of growing some decent branches and trying to get some ramification going.

Height is 28" from the soil to the top of the tree. Trunk diameter is 8", giving it a circumference of around 2ft. So its a big, old tree with a fissured bark like an old elm.

This is from the English countryside, (collected with prior permission of course). It is a lowland tree that used to be in a midlands hedgerow. I have carved the light coloured areas of the tree, the rest of it was how I found it - including the hole. It had been hedge laid at some point in its long history, but had lost most of the other trees that must have been laid down at the same time, so was pretty much there on its own when I collected it.  

Its got quite a way to go, but I have great expectations of it, as I think its got lovely features that I hope will make it a great bonsai.

Apologies for the skanky backdrop - it's not easy moving it so I used a bit of wood that has seen better days.

One Side (probably the best "front"):

One of my Hawthorns Hawtho10

The opposite side:

One of my Hawthorns Hawtho11
MKBonsai
MKBonsai

Back to top Go down

One of my Hawthorns Empty Re: One of my Hawthorns

Post  redmoon Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:39 pm

What a great start MK. For you and the tree. The hawthorns coming out of the UK these days are world class. I say that with some envy.

I'm sure you don't need my two cents but for the purposes of discussion (and out of curiosity) have you given any thought to splitting the trunk?

Something along these lines?

One of my Hawthorns Spli
redmoon
redmoon

Back to top Go down