Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn".

+33
Rick36
Pavel Slovák
Jesse
bonsai monkey
Bob Pressler
David Noya
abcd
Jesse McMahon
wabashene
Harleyrider
Mitch Thomas
Dan Barton
landerloos
Seth Ellwood
Storm
ShohinDude
AdamG
alonsou
will baddeley
Lee Brindley
David Carvalho
Russell Coker
martin kolacia
Mark Cooper
fiona
my nellie
Rui Marques
Peter E.
Victrinia Ridgeway
Ian Young
Jeremy
Mike Jones
Hans van Meer.
37 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". Empty Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn".

Post  Hans van Meer. Sun May 16, 2010 5:23 pm

Hi everybody,
yesterday I did some light, but necessary Bonsai work. Some Pines needed there strong candles pinched and some of my Hawthorns needed a haircut. If you let these secondary branches grow to thick on a small Hawthorn Bonsai, it can realy destroy your all ready established branch structure. I even had to remove some of the wiring that was already biting in the now fast swelling branches. I collected this tree that I am working on here in November 2006 in Wales. And after its first styling in February 2008 it looked like this!

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". Februa11

So you can imagine, looking at the next picture that was made yesterday, that I am realy happy with it's amazing progress so far! cheers And it was nice to do some work again! Very Happy

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". 15-5-210

You can read the whole story of this small "Hawthorn" HERE! http://www.karamotto.org/index.php?page=18
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". Empty Re: Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn".

Post  Mike Jones Sun May 16, 2010 6:44 pm

Fantastic tree, a great one to collect and work with. Congratulations and thank you.

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". Empty Re: Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn".

Post  Jeremy Sun May 16, 2010 7:18 pm

Hi Hans,
Thank you for posting.
What a stunner. The hawthorn I mean, not you... not that you are'nt as well. Very Happy

I'm not sure if you are paying them to say this Suspect , but everyone I speak to and that know you are so happy you are feel better and can't wait to see and work with you again. I can't wait.
I am saying that for free.
Keep well and keep posting.
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Young Sun May 16, 2010 7:45 pm

I love Hawthorn, and this forum is coming down with them at the moment :-)))

Hans, That's a elegant little tree in the making.

Have you noticed that everyone in the bonsai world is into mutilating training pots lol!
I have a stack of black flower pots with the tops cut off them in all sort of different angles!!

Thanks for showing
Ian Young
Ian Young

Back to top Go down

Post  Victrinia Ridgeway Sun May 16, 2010 7:50 pm

My friend... what marvelous progress you have made on such a wonderful tree... love seeing you as well and your beautiful treasures in the background...

Kindest regards,

Victrinia
Victrinia Ridgeway
Victrinia Ridgeway

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Sun May 16, 2010 9:03 pm

Again, thank you guy's for your nice words! Very Happy
I had to mutilate that pot, because otherwise I just good not make a decent picture of the whole tree! But yes, I have a stack of war casualty pots as well! lol!
Here are 2 older pictures of this tree, made just after I restyled it in February this year. Here with out the foliage, you can better see that I am paying a lot of attention on the basic branch structure. Trying to creat different layers with open spaces between them. This, if my theory is correct drunken , will give this small tree a image of a much taller one. Especially importand when the tree is leave less, because than we can realy appreciate the importance of proper branch structure and placement!
I do know that the present top need to thicken considerably, but at the speed that this tree is growing, that will be only a matter of a few years! If not, I will shorten it next season and make a new top from a lower placed branch.

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". 12-2-212

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". 12-2-211

And the picture below shows the tree after yesterdays haircut! Remember that a lot of sacrifice are left on to grow, eather to thicken a branch or to help to close some of the larger scares! So it still looks rather bushy and full, but I do hope you can see the picture I am planning to paint. Some were...in there? lol!

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". 15-5-211

Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter E. Sun May 16, 2010 10:29 pm

Hans, this is looking great. i would leave the top branches for a couple of years before you decide to cut.
You may need the height later. ThumbsUp

Peter E.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rui Marques Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:39 pm

Hi Hans,

Do you have any photo of the autumn colors of this haw?
Anda could you tell me the type of soil do you use?

Regards
Rui Marques
Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:50 pm

I'm sorry to inform that Hans is no longer attending to this forum.... and this is really a loss for the IBC
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Rui Marques Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:03 pm

well, this is a really sad new.
Rui Marques
Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:05 pm

Hans remains a member of the forum and I really do hope he will find his way back to posting in the not too distant future.

As My Nellie says, he is missed greatly and I for one would welcome the return of his insight and of course his trees.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Cooper Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:14 pm

Hans my friend, it’s great to see your delightful hawthorn again, and it’s even better to see you posting on the forum once more. Smile

Best wishes to you. Mark & Ritta
Mark Cooper
Mark Cooper

Back to top Go down

Post  martin kolacia Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:17 pm

...looks very heathy and beautifully
martin kolacia
martin kolacia

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:33 pm

fiona wrote:Hans remains a member of the forum and I really do hope he will find his way back to posting in the not too distant future.

As My Nellie says, he is missed greatly and I for one would welcome the return of his insight and of course his trees.

Me too! Sadly, he's one of MANY.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:59 pm

Russell Coker wrote:
fiona wrote:Hans remains a member of the forum and I really do hope he will find his way back to posting in the not too distant future.

Me too! Sadly, he's one of MANY.

Yup!....And those people were the ones who contributes well. trees and words.
I too wish Hans will post soon.

regards,
jun

Back to top Go down

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". Empty Amazing...

Post  David Carvalho Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:28 pm

Hello,

This is probably one of my favourite trees, it's simply amazing I just cant get bored of seeing photos of her. I do hope in a near future Hans updates this topic with some more photos Smile

Best regards,

David Carvalho

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:20 pm

Hi everybody,
how nice it was to read that people are still interested in the ongoing story of this little tree! So the least that I can do for them is to post the latest part that was missing! I hope you enjoy it!
Below: 6-2-2011

This is how the tree looked after I wired it.

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". 6-2-2010

The original planes were that this little Hawthorn would feature in a progressive styling story that I was writing for a bonsai magazine. I planed and hoped to repot it into a lovely Chinese green colored pot that my dear fiend Dan Barton gave to me as a present, the last time I was a guest at his house!

So I repotted the tree with high hopes. But unfortunately it was just a to big a risk to plant it in to the planed Dan Barton pot! It was just to shallow to house the root mass that was clinging on to a large stone. So I planted the tree in a temporary and a bit over sized pot, with more than enough room for the roots to grow! Next repotting I might be able to remove that rock and the thick roots that hold one to it?! Then I will plant it in to Dan’s pot and finish my story for the magazine!

Below: 11-3-2011
The small Hawthorn released from it’s ugly plastic container.

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". 11-3-210

Below: A small detail that I did not expected and had forgotten about! A rock that is hold firmly by thick roots. Those two roots (yellow arrows) might be useful in the future to replace that thick root. For now the thick root will be shortened.

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". 11-3-211

More will follow!
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.

Last edited by Hans van Meer. on Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:30 pm

Below: Here the thick root is shortened. (Yellow arrow) The second thick root that you can see sticking out from underneed the stone, is not cut back for now, There were just to many small roots growing from it and I dont want to risk the health of this little tree! Next repotting time, when more fine roots have grown from those top thick roots, it will be removed and then the stone can be removed as well!

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". 11-3-212

Below: On the backside of the tree a other thick root is shortened.

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". 11-3-213

Below: And a other one is removed!

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". 11-3-214

More will follow!
Hans van Meer.

Last edited by Hans van Meer. on Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:03 pm

Below: After all is don, the tree gets a well deserved shower, that removes all the dust and small particles from the soil.

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". 11-3-215

Below: This picture was made a few days later. I know that the tree needs a lot more work and that the top section needs to thicken and fill out more, But I do feel it is heading in the right direction. I love to work on Hawthorns!

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". 20-3-210

Below: 8-8-20011
And this is how the tree looked only a few days ago. All unwanted growth has been removed and only one branch has some wire on it!

Trimming one of my favorite "Hawthorn". 8-8-2010

It still needs some more work and branch thickening in the top section. But I am realy pleased with the way it is progressing!
I will keep you posted if any work is don!
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:20 pm

Hi Hans

Your tree is lovely, and the pot is perfect.

Thanks for sharing the recent rootwork.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:48 pm

Thanks for the great update Hans.

Goodness you looked cold in the 6-2-2011 picture! The tree is stunning.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Brindley Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:52 pm

Hans, thank you very much for taking the time to post an update on this beautiful tree.
Regards, Lee.
Lee Brindley
Lee Brindley

Back to top Go down

Post  will baddeley Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:10 pm

Very Happy
will baddeley
will baddeley

Back to top Go down

Post  alonsou Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:13 pm

lovely tree! amazing!
alonsou
alonsou

Back to top Go down

Post  AdamG Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:47 pm

I love this tree!
AdamG
AdamG

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next