Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pics of the jaboticaba

3 posters

Go down

Pics of the jaboticaba Empty Re: Pics of the jaboticaba

Post  Leo Schordje Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:46 pm

I would not try to work on it in winter. Unless you are growing in a greenhouse. Put it outside for the summer, and after it is in vigorous growth, and looking bushy, only then would I prune, or wire, or repot.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:08 pm

I would agree with Leo, for the most part. I've been growing a jaboticaba for about 4 or 5 years now. It's outside during the summer; in winter I keep it under very bright grow lights (400 W metal halide) and it usually produces 1 - 2 strong growth flushes while inside...so I'm able to do some wiring and pruning. This particular specimen looks young-ish and is not overly vigorous so I'd be a little more careful. I think you could go ahead and wire the main branches/trunks but I wouldn't do much more until it shows signs of stronger growth.

Repotting I generally do during the warmest part of summer, that is what is typically recommended for tropical species. I will say, though, that I acquired mine during a fall workshop (September or October)...during that workshop we really brutalized the trees, cutting them way back, wiring and repotting all in a 3 hour workshop. Tree recovered without any problems and produced very strong growth...but again, I had it under good lighting.

What kind of conditions are you providing? What is the light source, how much sun, etc?

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down