Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

my desert rose

+3
LanceMac10
JimLewis
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
7 posters

Go down

my desert rose - Page 2 Empty Re: my desert rose

Post  banksia Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:03 pm

Thought I'd post a pic of mine and add my two cents to the discussion Smile  
I've been growing this one for a little over 12 years now and treat it much the same way as bcs has said.
This is the first decent pot for this one, as previously it was grown in deep terracotta pots to gain girth in the caudex...which was slowly raised every couple of years at repotting. Incidently, I repot mine at the end of Autumn into a real free draining mix and water it  minimumly until Spring. Then, early Summer I prune in a similar fashion as stated.
This particular "tree" lost everything in a hailstorm about 4 years ago Mad The large scar in front was where the main trunk extended from the caudex...the trunk now, was a back branch in the original design. It will take a while, but in time it''l fade.
It's got the primary branches where I want/need them, it's just the ramification and canopy development to take care of now. Mine, I envisage, won't be a sumo dimensioned tree...more structured in a sense.
There's a couple of great ones out there on the net that's for sure. I'll try and find a pic of the particular one that got me inspired.

Cheers!
                                 Anthony

my desert rose - Page 2 001_me12

banksia

Back to top Go down

my desert rose - Page 2 Empty Re: my desert rose

Post  JimLewis Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:06 pm

geo wrote:Yes,it is the outer fiber of the fruit,before you get to the nut and the milk.I have to watch the amount.Very water retentive.

I've not used it, but folks in S. Florida told me it didn't last in a pot for very long.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down