Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ficus Help

4 posters

Go down

Ficus Help Empty Ficus Help

Post  Jake16 Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:36 pm

Hey everyone. I have this ficus (one that you get from walmart and it has giant roots as a trunk). I airlayered the top off this growing season and it has been doing fine. I brought it in when the weather got below 50 f. It had some yellowing leaves but I figured that was normal. All of a sudden all the leaves started turning a dull green and fall off pretty easily. It does get less light than it was outside. Ideas?
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Ficus Help Empty Re: Ficus Help

Post  JimLewis Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:14 pm

Where are you keeping it indoors? How often are you watering it? How long ago did you separate the air layer?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:01 pm

Hi Jake

It is normal ficus drop all their leafes when they are being taking in the house, after a summerstay in the garden, new will arrive again, but it will weaken the tree...it will drop its leafes again when you take it outside next summer, and expose it to sun...better keep it under glass all the time.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:54 am

Jim,
I was keeping it by my sink near a north facing window. I moved it to my dresser in from of a north facing window. (More light and my cat wouldn't stop eating the leaves) I was watering every two to three days. Airlayer was seperated early summer.

Yvonne,
I am quite embarrassed Smile to say that I might have made a rookie mistake and was not watering properly but let's hope your right.
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:34 am

I have been able to keep leaf drop on my ficus to a minimum, but it involves bringing all of them in earlier in the year and a lot of shuttling. When the nights are getting into the upper 50's, all of them go into the garage for the night and back out in the morning. When the nights are getting into the lower 50's they come in for the winter with artificial light and humidity. Leaf drop is extremely minimal this way, but the trade-off is less time out in the sun. I think it is less stressful than when in the past I kept them outside until the last minute and lost 75% of the leaves after I brought them in. In the Spring I just reverse the process and reintroduce to full sun slowly. They seem more vigorous this way (and so do I, since I use chicken grit in my soil and each pot is quite a load Very Happy ). The point of all that blathering is that graduated change in environment, and avoiding extremes, significantly reduces stress and leaf loss for me. One benefit to leaf drop, however, is ease of examining branch structure, so take advantage. Smile

Drip trays for humidity really work, and if a north window is all you have some artificial light will make a difference.
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  Sorcertree Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:14 am

I move mine in at 50 degrees once, under 16 hour fluorescents and dont lose anything.

I liken it to a human putting on and taking off a jacket. Except it takes trees longer. One move, less confusing it.

Sorce

Sorcertree

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down