Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ficus salifolia vs. Ficus salicifolia '89

5 posters

Go down

Ficus salifolia vs. Ficus salicifolia '89 Empty Ficus salifolia vs. Ficus salicifolia '89

Post  Ryan Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:25 am

Hey everyone,

I can't seem to find too much information on Ficus salicifolia '89. I just purchased one from Wigerts as it intrigued me. From what I have read, '89 has a wider leaf and also grows faster than regular Ficus s. How much faster, and what exactly causes this? I understand why the leaf is wider, but why does it also grow faster? Are there any techniques that could cause the leaf of '89 revert back to normal? This isn't my goal, I'm just curious. Thanks for any insight you may have.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Ficus salifolia vs. Ficus salicifolia '89 Empty Re: Ficus salifolia vs. Ficus salicifolia '89

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:50 am

There is a theory that '89 is the "normal" and the smaller leaf is the "sport." As you know '89 appeared after a freeze at the nursery in 1989. It might just more vigorous because it has slightly larger leaves, or it might be that it the "normal" version.
I have never known either version to "revert."
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Ficus salifolia vs. Ficus salicifolia '89 Empty Re: Ficus salifolia vs. Ficus salicifolia '89

Post  drgonzo Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:08 am

Que Iris in 5...4...3...2... Very Happy
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Ficus salifolia vs. Ficus salicifolia '89 Empty Ficus Sali...

Post  bonsaisr Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:10 am

The correct name is Ficus salicaria.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  rock Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:40 am

lol!
drgonzo wrote:Que Iris in 5...4...3...2... Very Happy
rock
rock

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:44 am

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:There is a theory that '89 is the "normal" and the smaller leaf is the "sport." As you know '89 appeared after a freeze at the nursery in 1989. It might just more vigorous because it has slightly larger leaves, or it might be that it the "normal" version.
I have never known either version to "revert."

Thanks Billy. I guess I will see how it grows once I receive it.

I don't know what to call it anymore. Salicifolia, salicaria, nerifolia.... Rolling Eyes

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:09 am

I think we are trying to agree on "salicaria" right after we agree on what is the best soil mix.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:36 pm

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:I think we are trying to agree on "salicaria" right after we agree on what is the best soil mix.

I didn't even know there was a dispute over what soil mix to grow them in. Interesting.

I'll post pictures of the tree once it arrives. Thanks all.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:36 pm

One thing I don't see too often, if at all, is people fusing Willow Leaf Ficus. Andrea (Eriks wife) sent me a picture of the tree that I am going to be sent. It's a twin trunk, with a small gap between the trunks. I'm interested in whether or not the '89 would fuse faster or 'better' than the regular Willow Leaf.....

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:45 pm

Well since 89 grows faster, I would think it will fuse faster, if that is the result you want.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:50 pm

Please see the photos of leaves in Announcements on this same subject.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:07 pm

Thanks Billy, I do see the difference in size.

Here is the tree as I received it today. I'll study it for a good while before I do anything. At first one would say to seperate them, but they are already slightly fusing in the back of the tree. Thoughts are welcome:
Ficus salifolia vs. Ficus salicifolia '89 010-10
Ficus salifolia vs. Ficus salicifolia '89 011-10

Here's where fusion has begun:
Ficus salifolia vs. Ficus salicifolia '89 018-3

Shot of the two trunks:
Ficus salifolia vs. Ficus salicifolia '89 016-5

The two trunks give it a pretty wide base:
Ficus salifolia vs. Ficus salicifolia '89 014-6

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:18 pm

1. I would take off the three large roots I see above the soil line. They will feed the trunk above and give you reverse taper below.

2. A question I have never quite answered about the fusion of trunks that you are looking for. When you prune do you have to be careful not to remove too much from one life stream over the other? I did have a three stem twist fuse over the years. I removed one top without any die back of the trunk. But, when I did the heavy prune you could barely see the separate trunks and would probably not know it was fused unless you had followed the tree through the years.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:27 am

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:1. I would take off the three large roots I see above the soil line. They will feed the trunk above and give you reverse taper below.

2. A question I have never quite answered about the fusion of trunks that you are looking for. When you prune do you have to be careful not to remove too much from one life stream over the other? I did have a three stem twist fuse over the years. I removed one top without any die back of the trunk. But, when I did the heavy prune you could barely see the separate trunks and would probably not know it was fused unless you had followed the tree through the years.

Thanks Billy. I think you're probably talking about the roots circled in the picture?
Ficus salifolia vs. Ficus salicifolia '89 018-4

The ones in the left side have begun fusion, but removing them would be a good idea due to the reverse taper issue you mentioned...

That's an interesting question you pose about pruning. For now, I don't think I'll be removing anything for a while. The trunks are rather straight, so if I was to try to fuse the trunks the end result would be a tall taperless tree.

Decisions, decisions...

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:40 am

This is a resilient species and you could go ahead and cut them apart when you weather warms up.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:12 pm

Thanks Billy!

However, the problem I see with seperating the trees is that clusters of branches have grown and created reverse taper, which would only become more clear upon seperation. If I was to fuse the trees then I would end up with a taperless tree with no movement.

Unless, of course, I just pot the tree(s) up, let them grow wild and get taller, then once they've fused I could work taper into them...

Hmmmm Question

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:16 pm

Ryan wrote:Thanks Billy!

However, the problem I see with seperating the trees is that clusters of branches have grown and created reverse taper, which would only become more clear upon seperation. If I was to fuse the trees then I would end up with a taperless tree with no movement.

Unless, of course, I just pot the tree(s) up, let them grow wild and get taller, then once they've fused I could work taper into them...

Hmmmm Question

In warmer weather, two Sumo trees.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:27 pm

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:
Ryan wrote:Thanks Billy!

Hmmmm Question

In warmer weather, two Sumo trees.

Unfortunately I make do with what warm weather I have up here in Northern Virginia Laughing

I tried to move them around a bit today, but they seem pretty attached. Cutting them would probably leave unsightly scars on each tree. Not sure about the sumo part as each trunk is probably just a bit over an inch. The trees are more attached up at the top, and leave only a small gap in the middle of the two, so I might as well just slip pot them and let them grow, grow, grow.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:05 am

Up until about a week ago, this tree was just about 100% leafless.
Ficus salifolia vs. Ficus salicifolia '89 00412

I built a new tropical enclosure and moved it into that enclosure last Friday. Here is how the tree looks today:
Ficus salifolia vs. Ficus salicifolia '89 01110

Comments always welcome.

Last edited by Ryan on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:27 am

By the way, here is the tree literally 3 days ago. Crazy fast growth:
Ficus salifolia vs. Ficus salicifolia '89 00313
Ficus salifolia vs. Ficus salicifolia '89 00413

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:24 am

'89 is a vigorous grower, that is why is suggested cutting them apart. You could also cut each trunk back by 1/2 abd remove all branches, that would give you the beginnings of the two Sumo trees.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:14 pm

Thanks Billy! I think I'll just leave them to fuse though and get a bigger tree from them.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:09 pm

I finally defoliated this guy to get a good view at the branch work today. If I don't have to defoliate another Ficus for a while I'll be fine. It took me an hour for this one. It's been growing pretty well, thankfully.

Ficus salifolia vs. Ficus salicifolia '89 00816
Ficus salifolia vs. Ficus salicifolia '89 01216

Maybe something like this later down the road (minus the pointy apex)?
Ficus salifolia vs. Ficus salicifolia '89 V12

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:01 am

Here's a good picture showing the difference in leaf size between the '89, left, and the regular, on the right:
Ficus salifolia vs. Ficus salicifolia '89 _00310

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down