Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Developing a new Redwood

+3
MKBonsai
Chuck-815
Wander
7 posters

Go down

Developing a new Redwood - Page 2 Empty Re: Developing a new Redwood

Post  Wander Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:35 pm

You sound like you know what you're talking about Chris. I'll go with that.

Wander

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:46 pm

Wander wrote:You sound like you know what you're talking about Chris.  I'll go with that.

LOL, depends on who you listen to. I like to say I know enough to get myself in trouble.

Truthfully, I've been doing bonsai for almost 4 years, but have grown plants in the ground and containers (including orchids for a while) for a few decades. The idea of gradually increasing the pot size is pretty widely recognized. You might get away with going directly to a 2' wide pot, or it might cause problems. But it's really not necessary at this point.

If you are new to all of this, do yourself a favor and spend some time reading through Brent's articles at the site in the link. Lots of good, basic info there.

Best wishes and keep us posted! If you have any specific questions once the redwood arrives, don't hesitate to post them (and I'd like to see what the tree looks like).

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:48 pm

here is some dawn redwoods i got early last year from jonsteens out west... (they had a deal for something like a dozen "seedlings" for 20-30 bucks... some of the seedlings were 4' tall)

i took some of the shorter ones and started a forest/group planting:
(if you know the dawn redwood story, you will understand why theres a dinosaur creeping around)

Developing a new Redwood - Page 2 P6070010

and i took 5 of the longer ones and bound them together hoping the trunks fuse over time:

Developing a new Redwood - Page 2 P6070012

not very good photos and the trees are nothing great yet, but you get the idea of what is possible with these
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:57 pm

Dawn redwoods can make beautiful groups/forests. I started one last year but during this winter mice or voles got into my storage area and did severe damage to the trunks...girdled one completely. Hopefully I can get it to heal over or perhaps do a ground layer. I have a couple of others thickening in the ground and some seeds that are germinating so I will have replacements on the way if needed. Of course, the tree that was damaged most severely was the largest in the group.

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:15 am

coh wrote:Of course, the tree that was damaged most severely was the largest in the group.Chris

damn !

i lost one outta my forest too, but it was the smallest and i was lucky because i held one back in a separate pot for just such an occasion (its the one with the deadwood top on the right)

and yeah, the cuttings seem to take well (so far)
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Developing a new Redwood - Page 2 Empty The trees are here!

Post  Wander Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:58 pm

For everyone who wanted to see the trees when they arrived

Redwood Experiment

Wander

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:43 pm

Keep us posted!

I'm somewhat surprised to see them sent bare-root at this time of year but as I said, redwoods are pretty vigorous so they should be OK.

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Wander Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:17 pm

I am still not sure what to do with them. They obviously need to be potted for a while to develop some roots and foliage. If I then put them in the ground I'm afraid the winter here will kill them, if the summer doesn't. However they probably won't be big enough to do the first stump cut(cutting at 1/3 tree height when trunk is 2/3rds thickness). So come December I will have a tree 3-4 ft tall that can't winter outside.

Wander

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:58 pm

You'll definitely need winter protection. I allow my coast redwoods to stay out and experience near freezing or just at freezing temperatures, then I bring them in. I have an mudroom that is essentially unheated (it's got a door to the basement and heat rises from there). Temperatures during the winter stay mostly in the 35-45 range. I've kept one redwood under these conditions for about 7 years. I allowed it to get pretty tall (about 10') and wrapped up the branches like a Christmas tree to take up less space.

If you need to, you should be able to prune the top back to, provided it produces growth from lower on the trunk.

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down