Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Answers in "Bonsai Questions"

2 posters

Go down

Answers in "Bonsai Questions" Empty Answers in "Bonsai Questions"

Post  JimLewis Fri May 23, 2014 1:21 pm

I have come down to thinking, after eight years or so on this and other forums, that one knowledgeable and correct response is preferable to a raft of guesses. Same goes for plant identification.

Fiona made that comment in another thread, but I think it bears repeating.  

I'm probably (based on recent results -- especially on plant ID) as guilty as anyone, but I do ask that those who respond to a question asked here be pretty darned certain that they know what they are talking about.

A wrong guess can lead to VERY bad results for anyone following that advice.  

A point to remember:

If you read it "in a book somewhere" or "in X's blog/website", or "online" that does not mean it is correct.

Advice should be based on experience; your experience.

And fudging a response with the caveat "I've never tried it, but . . . " isn't the way to go, either.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Answers in "Bonsai Questions" Empty Re: Answers in "Bonsai Questions"

Post  Vance Wood Fri May 23, 2014 1:55 pm

JimLewis wrote:
I have come down to thinking, after eight years or so on this and other forums, that one knowledgeable and correct response is preferable to a raft of guesses. Same goes for plant identification.

Fiona made that comment in another thread, but I think it bears repeating.  

I'm probably (based on recent results -- especially on plant ID) as guilty as anyone, but I do ask that those who respond to a question asked here be pretty darned certain that they know what they are talking about.

A wrong guess can lead to VERY bad results for anyone following that advice.  

A point to remember:

If you read it "in a book somewhere" or "in X's blog/website", or "online" that does not mean it is correct.

Advice should be based on experience; your experience.

And fudging a response with the caveat "I've never tried it, but . . . " isn't the way to go, either.

I agree, what the Bull drops in your path is something to be avoided. However; when we/you/us get responses like: "I posted a question and received no response!" "I don't think I will post here anymore!" Paul Simon said it best in his song title: The Sound of Silence. That's the trade off and sometimes that is the best you are going to do. You can answer a question accurately without actually having done the specific thing requested. Things like grafting Pine X to Pine Y. If someone has experience grafting Pines odds are his information is going to be accurate even though the Pines involved my not be specific.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down