Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sumer collecting pines

3 posters

Go down

Sumer collecting pines Empty Sumer collecting pines

Post  giga Tue May 06, 2014 1:28 pm

I only manage to get one pine this year up in the mountains due to time constraints. I've been reading on a few blogs about people collecting in mid to late summer as pine tree go into a temporary domency? Has anyone ever had success or experience with summer collecting pines?
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

Sumer collecting pines Empty Re: Sumer collecting pines

Post  appalachianOwl Wed May 07, 2014 3:59 am

No personal expeience with summer collection, fall mostly and now spring. It depends on the species, which pines are you reffering?
appalachianOwl
appalachianOwl

Back to top Go down

Post  giga Wed May 07, 2014 1:39 pm

So fall is a good time as well? Virginia pine is one and there are a coupl others here but I don't know the species of the top of me head
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

Post  appalachianOwl Thu May 08, 2014 11:10 pm

Yes fall has treated me well, with Virgina pine and Pitch pine, the ones round here. According to Nick Lenz a Pitch pine can be collected any time of the year. I just never feel summer is a good time colelction, although I do supose in theory if one new when the summer dormancy started that would be ok. Anyone have luck with it out there?
appalachianOwl
appalachianOwl

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Thu May 08, 2014 11:28 pm

appalachianOwl wrote:Yes fall has treated me well, with Virgina pine and Pitch pine, the ones round here. According to Nick Lenz a Pitch pine can be collected any time of the year. I just never feel summer is a good time colelction, although I do supose in theory if one new when the summer dormancy started that would be ok. Anyone have luck with it out there?

In my opinion it is not the dormancy period that make disturbing the roots an option but the active growth period. That's what I have discovered from working with both Scots Pine and Mugo Pine.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down