Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with bonsai ID

4 posters

Go down

Help with bonsai ID Empty Help with bonsai ID

Post  Marc L Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:04 pm

I just bought a new bonsai (actually 2 of the same, that I repotted together), and was hoping someone could help me identify the type/species.

Here's a photo:

Help with bonsai ID Bonsai11

Thanks,
Marc
Marc L
Marc L

Back to top Go down

Help with bonsai ID Empty Re: Help with bonsai ID

Post  Carolee Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:22 pm

Looks like a type of ash. But, it could be a number of things. Its hard to tell from a picture. I use this link frequently to identify:
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus/key/location.htm
Good luck.
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

Help with bonsai ID Empty Help with Bonsai ID

Post  bonsaisr Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:58 pm

Was it sold as bonsai? Is it purportedly an indoor or outdoor plant? I rather doubt that it is an ash, Fraxinus, especially if it was sold as bonsai material in the US. It might possibly be China doll, Radermachera sinica, which is occasionally sold for indoor bonsai, although I don't believe I've seen a successful one in these parts.
To dispel any doubt, take it over to the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum, and they can tell you what it is.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc L Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:53 pm

Thanks for both replies.

Yes, they were sold as bonsai material at a nursery. You can't see the scale of the plant, but they're ~5in tall. Aside from repotting and minimal pruning when I first got them, it's pretty much what they looked like when I got them.

I've kept them outdoors for the month, and they've done well. I've recently brought them indoors because of incessant rain and cold nights.

Thanks for the suggestion about the National Arboretum's Bonsai Exhibit. They're having a Fall bonsai display until end of Nov, which I've been meaning to check out.

I zoomed into the photo, in the off chance that it would help:

Help with bonsai ID Bonsai14
Help with bonsai ID Bonsai15

Marc
Marc L
Marc L

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:33 am

Marc L wrote:
I zoomed into the photo, in the off chance that it would help:
Marc
China doll.
My suggestion, keep it as a houseplant; get something more suitable for bonsai material. Try one of those tiger bark figs from Wal-Mart if you want to start inexpensive.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:27 am

Radermachera sinica is an evergreen tree from the subtropical mountains of south China and Taiwan. It is often treated with a growth regulator, prior to being sold, as it can grow rapidly into a leggy plant. The large compound leaves and a tendency to drop them all if under or overwatered make it a bit of a fussy plant and as Iris says, not really good bonsai material.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down