Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

do chinese elm keep well in sub tropics

5 posters

Go down

do chinese elm keep well in sub tropics Empty do chinese elm keep well in sub tropics

Post  amanluthra688 Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:07 am

hi
yesterday i saw c.elm at a local bonsai shop.
he had some stock some designed and some nursery stock
i searched it and read that it is good bonsai materal.
i liked the species and wanted to give a try as the leaf size is small but
all the bonsai were imported from china.

so do c.elm survive in the sub tropical area of northern india
thanks
aman
amanluthra688
amanluthra688

Back to top Go down

do chinese elm keep well in sub tropics Empty Re: do chinese elm keep well in sub tropics

Post  kirk@localbonsai.com Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:55 am

the only ones i've seen here in new england are kept in heated greenhouses all year round - so the answer is probably YES!
kirk@localbonsai.com
kirk@localbonsai.com

Back to top Go down

do chinese elm keep well in sub tropics Empty Re: do chinese elm keep well in sub tropics

Post  M. Frary Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:15 pm

Why in heated greenhouses? I live in zone 4 and mine are out till almost frozen solid then put in an unheated garage.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  kirk@localbonsai.com Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:44 pm

probably because where they are sold is a heated greenhouse - customers don't like the cold
kirk@localbonsai.com
kirk@localbonsai.com

Back to top Go down

Post  amanluthra688 Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:53 am

Thanks
Winters are fine in the sub tropics
Main issue is the hot summers of this region. Temp crosses 40c for two months
And the humid conditions for another two months.this is very good time for ficus but what about c. Elm that i wanted to know. If the plant survive this period than i would go ahead.

Sub tropics have a different temp . Compared to temperate. Ours junipers grows well in winter and are repotted in winters and but many species of temperate do not go and slowly die after two years

And kirk what is the ideal temp in these greenhouse
I think it may be around 30-35 this is ours temp in monsoon . I think the temp. In greenhouse is controlled but in open  the conditions are totally diff.

I searched and came to know that earlier europen settlers in aus. Have planted elms in aus. And they are doing well.
Thanks
aman
amanluthra688
amanluthra688

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:31 am

If you haven't already done so, Aman, why don't you go to the Home page and put Bonsai India into the google search box. You may find some threads about Chinese Elm in India but at the very least you will get threads showing Indian bonsai events and you may be able to see if Chinese Elm features at all. You will also get a good idea of what Indian artists are growing and showing.

fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:55 pm

kirk@localbonsai.com wrote:probably because where they are sold is a heated greenhouse - customers don't like the cold

Well excuse me. Maybe the trees need to be outside and the customers can put on a coat. My Chinese elms must just be tougher than theirs.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:59 pm

I think we can assume the poster was being tongue-in-cheek with the customers don't like the cold comment.  Wink It all goes back to that very sad fact that for most of the public, their experience of "bonsai" is inferior S-bend Chinese Elms as sold 'in greenhouses' in hardware stores and garden centres.

Anyway. Back on track with Aman's question: Aman, you might also want to drop a PM to some of our other Indian members to see if they can advise you.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

do chinese elm keep well in sub tropics Empty Re do Chinese elms do well in sub tropics

Post  john5555leonard Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:33 am

Hi Aman. They do not die but they do not thrive either, I ,m from England now living in Thailand and I had lots in England where they did really well and I field grew hundreds of them. When I moved to thailand I brought a stock plant with me for cuttings and I have about 6 left in the field and they are growing but not at the rate they did in England . The original stock plant died, but I had problems in the beginning getting the soil mix right. The variety I had was the cork bark and I,v never seen any in Thailand but I see many smooth bark ones and they are imported from China not grown here . The leaves scorch easy and I,v not seen a good one yet. I gave a lot away to Thais in my local bonsai club and nobody liked them, considering them difficult. Regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down