Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

abiity to edit gallery pictures now gone

+3
fiona
Sakaki
marcus watts
7 posters

Go down

abiity to edit gallery pictures now gone Empty abiity to edit gallery pictures now gone

Post  marcus watts Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:12 am

it seems we have had a change to the system that appears be a step backwards...the point of the gallery is to have up to date pictures of members trees, it is great to update a tree as it progresses, show it as it refines or to just replace an old picture with a new one as a tree improves. Now there is the option to reply with quote or to remove just the last thread. This has bought the gallery tree progression threads to a halt as replies or new threads of the same trees will make it cluttered, disjointed and untidy. it is also now impossible to edit out a sold or traded tree with a new one in its place.

i'm aware that there was a thread about a tiny minority of users editing their early comments once a heated discussion followed to try and look blameless but this forum is well moderated and populated for the most part with mature sensible individuals who don't really need such kindergarten conditions imposing on them. it is so easy in topical discussion threads to spot if an individual changes their original words as the context of the following replies make no sense, in the rare cases it happens just highlight the individual user and ask them to publicly explain their actions in the actual thread...they will soon start feeling exposed, stupid and learn not to do it anymore.

can we edit our galleries please ?

many thanks Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

abiity to edit gallery pictures now gone Empty Re: abiity to edit gallery pictures now gone

Post  Sakaki Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:22 am

marcus watts wrote:i'm aware that there was a thread about a tiny minority of users editing their early comments once a heated discussion followed to try and look blameless but this forum is well moderated and populated for the most part with mature sensible individuals who don't really need such kindergarten conditions imposing on them. it is so easy in topical discussion threads to spot if an individual changes their original words as the context of the following replies make no sense, in the rare cases it happens just highlight the individual user and ask them to publicly explain their actions in the actual thread...they will soon start feeling exposed, stupid and learn not to do it anymore.
As the images posted in "Galleries" forum are not meant for discussion by other members, I think no need to apply that rule for "Galleries"!
Sakaki
Sakaki

Back to top Go down

abiity to edit gallery pictures now gone Empty Re: abiity to edit gallery pictures now gone

Post  fiona Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:19 am

The issue is simply that some actions cannot be applied to only a handful of the forums but need to be applied across the board.  I will have a look and see what we can do to "exempt" the Galleries forum.

But as a btw, it wasn't a "tiny minority" situation before; comments were being edited quite regularly including one thread where I had to spend about an hour re-editing it so it made sense and didn't make some responders look foolish (which I suspect was precisely why the original poster had removed the comments).  

And my apologies, but I must have missed your PM about this topic.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:23 pm

fiona wrote:The issue is simply that some actions cannot be applied to only a handful of the forums but need to be applied across the board.  I will have a look and see what we can do to "exempt" the Galleries forum.

But as a btw, it wasn't a "tiny minority" situation before; comments were being edited quite regularly including one thread where I had to spend about an hour re-editing it so it made sense and didn't make some responders look foolish (which I suspect was precisely why the original poster had removed the comments).  

If it is not possible to "exempt" the gallery forum, perhaps the better solution would be to "exempt" the individual(s) who engage in this kind of petty behavior? And by "exempt" I mean suspend posting or editing privileges, ban (temporary or permanent), whatever is needed to get the point across. Seems unfortunate to have to limit the abilities of the entire community because of a few bad apples.
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:15 pm

perhaps the better solution would be to "exempt" the individual(s) who engage in this kind of petty behavior? And by "exempt" I mean suspend posting or editing privileges, ban (temporary or permanent), whatever is needed to get the point across.
You would end up missing some of our most vocal posters. <g>

Before we get THAT drastic, let's see if something else can be done.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:49 pm

fiona wrote:
haha - i never sent one Fiona:D  it is by making an open public thread that others can see the ability to edit the gallery was removed if they had not yet spotted it, while also giving people the place to add suggestions.

when someone removes a reply leaving others looking daft just openly ask them why and make them explain their actions....making an open example of silly behavior is the best way to curb it I have found, especially as it is very much in the minority on this forum, hence why this is the best bonsai forum for serious and mature hobbyists Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Twisted Evil I love you Exclamation 
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  David Willoughby Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:25 am

Hi Marcus,

Is it such a massive problem not being able to edit photo's in the "Gallery" section ? I have no idea on the matter so please forgive me as its a genuine question.

Please excuse me if my interpretation of that area is wrong as I could be, nor would it be the first time for me being wrong here at the site and nor probably the last for that matter lol Embarassed Crying or Very sad  but wouldn't it be better to show many photos from different times of the trees progression and how you have developed it over the years, without having the worry of comments in a normal thread in other sub forums. Giving the viewer an indication of where it has come from to now ? That to me would highlight the skill, artistry and ability of the artist,  unless of course the Gallery section is only there for the individual posting their trees to show off and nothing else.

Its an interesting point you make by publicly asking them to explain their actions for doing it, although I think you will find the precursor to this was the lack thereof response to questions from a certain person and selectively responding to others, which if applied to this situation would be a futile exercise, although there is merit in doing it down the track so thank you for the idea.

I hope you don't mind the question and my thoughts on that area, I am a newbie so I hope that gives me some allowance, well a little at least Very Happy 

Cheers

David
David Willoughby
David Willoughby

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:13 am

David Willoughby wrote:Its an interesting point you make by publicly asking them to explain their actions for doing it, although I think you will find the precursor to this was the lack thereof response to questions from a certain person and selectively responding to others, which if applied to this situation would be a futile exercise, although there is merit in doing it down the track so thank you for the idea.
Not really sure what this means.  The "precursor" was a suggestion from another member to time-limit the edit function on posts as there had been some history of people going back weeks later and changing their text (usually something that had caused a stir) so that they looked innocent and those who had expressed opinions looked foolish.  This edit time-restriction is something that happens on other forums including two that I use.  

At the moment we are looking to see if we can keep the Gallery free from the restriction so we can decide what to do next after we get the necessary information back.

Fiona
(one of "them"  Wink   )
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

abiity to edit gallery pictures now gone Empty Edit History option

Post  sayotefries Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:08 am

Hello Guys,

Glad you're continuously making ways to improve and sacrificing your time for this forum. Here's a suggestion that may be helpful. How about the option of having an "Edit History" button. Wherein, we can still edit any grammar corrections, encoding errors, or wrong data inputted but we will be able to click on the "Edit History" and see what was formerly written. Sometimes in the spur of the moment we forget to double check our posts. I think this would be useful so we may have a means of correcting any mistakes. After all we tend to go back and reread our past posts and hundreds of readers see this too. Is this possible or would it be too complicated for the forum lay-out? Hope this helps. More power guys!

Sayotefries

sayotefries

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:22 pm

Good suggestion - will have a look to see if forumotion is sophisticated enough to do that.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down