Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BONSAI gallery

+10
Todd Ellis
yamasuri
Smithy
newzealandteatree
ray78
John Quinn
Khaimraj Seepersad
kingbean
Billy M. Rhodes
leatherback
14 posters

Go down

BONSAI gallery Empty BONSAI gallery

Post  Guest Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:40 am

For IBC and Kingbean,

I started this topic as an answer to Kingbeans question, I made it into a separate thread because I'll keep it updated from time to time.

Before , I got almost the same question that Kingbean has. "where is a good place to exhibit and sell trees" on a regular basis, "Regular" or semi permanent place is important for people to know. First you need a good place where all kinds of people (bonsai people and regular folks) can see and appreciate bonsai. Then you need to have variations in quality and sizes...And one day while I am resting from IBC and some heated discussions on the "gallery section" were taking place. I had a sudden "light bulb" moment---------

I'll make a "BONSAI GALLERY"...

Some gist of the idea:
1. A place where individual bonsai artists can display and sell (if they wanted to) their works
2. A place where local clubs can have an activity for bonsai like small clubs shows, lectures and demos etc...
3. A place where ordinary people can see bonsai display for free on a regular basis
4. A place for open minded and conservative artists can display their works without any restrictions on rules of displaying trees
5. A place where people (there is no regular permanent bonsai store here) can buy bonsai books, printed resources, tools and other bonsai needs.
6. A place where bonsai like other form of arts will have a "gallery"

...there is not much money on bonsai (at least on my part) not even barely enough for rental of the space and overhead cost.
...but it is worth the try for the love of the art.

BTW...every Bonsai activity to be held here will be free of charge a lot of savings for local clubs...All they have to do is bring their own coffee. hehehe

This is in one of the modern malls in the heart of Metro Manila
BONSAI gallery Dsc_1411

The entire dome 170 square meters or 1860 square foot of space all for bonsai activity, plus additional 30% exterior space if needed be.
BONSAI gallery Dsc_1412

...Interior of the Gallery, Glass roof, Glass wall, open air (No Airconditioned) humidity is perfect for all kind of tropical and semi tropic trees
BONSAI gallery Dsc_1413

BONSAI gallery Dsc_1414

BONSAI gallery Dsc_1415

BONSAI gallery Dsc_1416

BONSAI gallery Dsc_1417

BONSAI gallery Dsc_1418

Some trees are mine some are from other artists. Some are for sale some are just for display.
BONSAI gallery Dsc_1419

BONSAI gallery Dsc_1316

BONSAI gallery Dsc_1317

BONSAI gallery Dsc_1319

Open til night...

BONSAI gallery Dsc_1420

We have some scheduled shows already... and the entire space will be filled with exhibit quality trees...during and after the formal opening, I'll keep you updated and we'll see where it goes from here.

BONSAI gallery Dsc_1421

This is for Philippine bonsai only...hehehe. Somebody from your country might be as "crazy" clown What a Face as I am and will probably do the same.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

BONSAI gallery Empty Re: BONSAI gallery

Post  leatherback Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:11 am

That's amazing. Nice job!

How do you handle staffing etc? I presume you can close off the dome when there is no staff present?
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:33 am

Such a shop "might" work in the US in a very large city, but space in a mall with enough traffic would be very expensive, The problem here would be that "big box" stores such as Wal Mart sell cheap so called bonsai (we say mallsai) and most of the public doesn't know the difference.
I frequently get asked if I will sell a tree and my answer is usually something like "You don't know enough about keeping this tree alive to waste your money to pay me what it is worth." Or, "If your paid me the $250 or more this tree is worth, and killed it, we would both feel bad."
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  kingbean Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:06 am

Looks great Jun thanks for the reply
kingbean
kingbean

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:11 pm

Yup L.l.B,

we are about to try a museum on 1 acre of land, using a big ferro cement dome.
Looks good on your side.
Wish us luck.
Stay Well.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:37 am

Looking good! Good luck!
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:18 am

leatherback wrote:That's amazing. Nice job!

How do you handle staffing etc? I presume you can close off the dome when there is no staff present?

Thanks man! the mall will provide security 24/7 for the entire dome. It got several CCTV too. The problem I see though, would be during the shows, but I will ask the club/s involved to provide additional hand for the task. As for the staffing, I have a regular uniformed (not a cop hehehe) staff to man the dome. I am also enjoying to stay more frequently in the gallery answering questions and query of curious mall goers.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:26 am

Hi Billy.

Still I am not 100% the idea will work. but as of now that we have not yet formally opened up the gallery I got positive response from all sort of people. And some artists have exhibited and sold several trees already. I am looking for the day that a show will be held here soon.

Yes, it might work in big city...it is the best place to promote bonsai consciousness among the regular crowd. after all we were all part of the regular crowd but at some point became curious on bonsai.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:28 am

Thanks Quinn and Kingbean!

@ Khaimraj, Wow! an acre!
Good luck LLB. bounce

regards,
jun Smile

Last edited by jun on Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  ray78 Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:42 am

Hi Jun,

Is this in Gateway Mall? I plan to visit one of these days and I hope to meet you.

Thanks,
Ray
ray78
ray78

Back to top Go down

Post  newzealandteatree Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:04 am

Jun, this is really fantastic. I wish u success and luck in this venture.

Regards,

CJ
newzealandteatree
newzealandteatree

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:06 am

Thanks a lot CJ!

Yes Ray, Its in gateway... They wanted to "Go green" the entire mall and I took the opportunity to ask permission for a small spot (at a bargain cost) but they gave me the entire dome instead for the bonsai activity...hehehe. Charm of bonsai works most of the time.

See you soon pre! just send me a PM of your mobile number so that I can meet you at the gallery.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:23 am

Good luck with it Jun. it looks great Very Happy
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:33 pm

Good luck jun. Great idea and I hope will inproove.
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:00 pm

Really great idea Jun. I imagine you will be rotating trees (in & out) so they get adequate light for growth. Looks like a lot of work. I hope it pays off for you and your crew. Best of luck!
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:39 am

Todd Ellis wrote:Really great idea Jun. I imagine you will be rotating trees (in & out) so they get adequate light for growth. Looks like a lot of work. I hope it pays off for you and your crew. Best of luck!
Todd

Thanks Todd!
Yes, the trees will stay there 3 weeks at most. some will stay just for a week.

regards,
jun Smile

Smithy and Yamasuri,

Thanks guys!

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  weessel Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:18 am

Sir Jun

What mall is this located, Can I have the complete address pls.
Looking forward to see you in person and your great bonsai.

Thanks,

Kelly
weessel
weessel

Back to top Go down

Post  emerjoe Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:52 am

sir jun ask ko lang kung mga hunter dto sa nueva ecija pueding mg display ng bonsai for sale dyn sagallery?

emerjoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:35 pm

Great Jun, a wonderful project, it will definitely help promote bonsai as a hobby. And your support to local artists is wonderful. Having bonsai club meetings there and workshops and seminars there is a great support to the bonsai community. What a great opportunity. Good luck, even if it doesn't make much money, it is a worthy endeavor. I applaud your effort. And the location seems ideal.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  Jed Franco Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:47 am

Hi, Jun, Good Day... I'm from Pangasinan, Can you pls tell what specific mall in Manila where the "Bonsai Gallery" located?
I'm hoping to go there when I have a chance to go to manila...Thanx in advance, pare. Smile Anyway good luck on your new endeavor.. I've seen a lot of your work here and they are simply amazing... Wink
Jed Franco
Jed Franco

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:53 am

Jed Franco wrote:Hi, Jun, Good Day... I'm from Pangasinan, Can you pls tell what specific mall in Manila where the "Bonsai Gallery" located?
I'm hoping to go there when I have a chance to go to manila...Thanx in advance, pare. Smile Anyway good luck on your new endeavor.. I've seen a lot of your work here and they are simply amazing... Wink

Thanks Jed!

Gateway mall 'pre. Araneta center cubao. just ask any guard for the direction.

regards,
jun Smile

Last edited by jun on Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:54 am

emerjoe wrote:sir jun ask ko lang kung mga hunter dto sa nueva ecija pueding mg display ng bonsai for sale dyn sagallery?

I sent you PM pre.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:58 am

weessel wrote:Sir Jun

What mall is this located, Can I have the complete address pls.
Looking forward to see you in person and your great bonsai.

Thanks,

Kelly

Thanks Kelly!

The gallery is located at Gateway mall araneta center cubao, near starbucks.

Send me PM of your mobile number, so that I could set the date.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:00 am

Thanks Leo!

I too do hope it will turns out Okey!

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content