Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

personal gallery pictures??

+4
Russell Coker
JimLewis
fiona
marcus watts
8 posters

Go down

personal gallery pictures?? Empty personal gallery pictures??

Post  marcus watts Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:35 am

Hi,
i was trying to add some of my trees to the personal gallery feature - I started of by creating the gallery ok, tried to put a picture in and was told it was not possible as there was no room left?? even though i just created a totally empty new space. In all my normal posts i never upload a picture to the forum server directly as it uses up space that costs money (i just paste the image code from photobucket - you get bigger better pictures in the thread than direct uploads too).

is the gallery feature already full of other images, or has it got a lot of old members stuff in that can be archived?

cheers for any info

Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

personal gallery pictures?? Empty Re: personal gallery pictures??

Post  fiona Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:04 am

This is a question that can really only be answered by Kev as Administrator so I have sent him a PM asking him to give his thoughts.

But I do have a concern regarding your statement about not using the forum's picture hosting service. First I'd be interested in why you say it costs money. It is part of the package and shouldn't cost any member anything. Indeed I use it as my own picture hosting service for my non-IBC photos precisely because it is free and easy to use.

Regarding image quality, the bottom line is that whatever method you use, a poor quality original will always reproduce itself on here poorly. The servimg system is perfectly fine for what we are doing and is streets better than what we had previously (and what happens on some other forums) where you actually had to manually resize your pics before going through the hosting process. I have no issues with it at all and I am fussy about these things.

But more importantly, there are several issues with using things like photobucket: personally - speaking as a forum member - I get a bit irritated at having to click links to see pics on forum posts and then having to toggle between picture and text. I get even more irritated at being directed to some photohosting sites and getting bombarded with adverts (there was one such on here the other day in which I had to scroll down quite a distance before the pic became visible).

But the biggest issue - and I'm speaking as a moderator here - is the fact that if a member uploading pics from photobucket etc then chooses to eliminate that pic off their hosting site, or decides to close it altogether, then the pics that were linked from it on to here also are removed. There are several threads on here which have been significantly devalued because someone has removed their images from the hosting site they used. That does not make for good continuity and it is for this reason that we ask you to use the forum's own system.

Last edited by fiona on Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:08 pm

But the biggest issue - and I'm speaking as a moderator here - is the fact that if a member uploading pics from photobucket etc then chooses to eliminate that pic off their hosting site, or decides to close it altogether, then the pics that were linked from it on to here also are removed. There are several threads on here which have been significantly devalued because someone has removed their images from the hosting site they used. That does not make for good continuity and it is for this reason that we ask you to use the forum's own system.

And, there's always the possibility that a separate hosting site will be here today, and gone tomorrow. This IS the Internet -- the epitome of ephemeral at the whim of someone else.

JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:28 pm

fiona wrote: But more importantly, there are several issues with using things like photobucket: personally - speaking as a forum member - I get a bit irritated at having to click links to see pics on forum posts and then having to toggle between picture and text. I get even more irritated at being directed to some photohosting sites and getting bombarded with adverts (there was one such on here the other day in which I had to scroll down quite a distance before the pic became visible).

AMEN, SISTER!!

I couldn't agree more. As tedious as it is to post pictures through the system here, the end result is sooooo much better. And I've said this before - if I can do it ANYONE can! When I open a post and find those links I usually just move on to the next one. The pain-in-the-ass factor just isn't worth it.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:12 pm

Agree, the broken images drive me crazy, and I often don't bother following those external links either (unless it's a subject I REALLY want to know more about). And the uploading to this site isn't really all that difficult once you've got the hang of it.
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  will baddeley Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:50 pm

This is a photobucket image and you can post directly without taking up disc space on the forum as Marcus points out. Disc space usually costs.[img]personal gallery pictures?? IMG_1361[/img]
will baddeley
will baddeley

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:20 pm

Thanks Will. That does show that external hosting can work, but many people don't know or can't be bothered to post anything other than the link, which I agree can be tedious to follow and/or easily lost. Fiona is spot on with her observation that we don't have to pay for Servimg hosting space, it is a free service that is directly linked with the Forumotion forum that we are on.

Back to the original question, the gallery space. This is an added extra feature that to me seems rather pointless, as we can post all of our gallery trees for free on the forum. As Marcus suspects, it is currently full and to obtain more space we would have to pay. Unless there is a great clamour for it, I can see no real point in spending our funds in that way.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:01 pm

Will's image shows up nicely, but what happens if he deletes it from photobucket (or if something happens to that site)? The image will disappear, leaving a broken link...right?
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:56 pm

Now you see it...

personal gallery pictures?? Bench

... now you don't.

fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:02 pm

That's what happens if you use the direct link as Will did then delete it. There are several threads on the forum where this has happened and it's such a shame. It seems the same would happen if you even just relocate an image to a different album on your hosting service.

btw - that was just a practice image of my own. No pictures were hurt or damaged in the making of this post. Smile
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:49 pm

sorry fiona but you are a little bit wrong.............

if you host pictures on photobucket but only paste the link into a post you get the situation you describe, needing to open the picture in a seperate window.

if you use the photobucket site properly like Will and myself among others you paste the image code to your post, not the link, then the image appears in the text just like any other post......any forum has a limited amount of space for the money they pay, once its full of pictures some eventually need deleating or someone has to pay more money.....using a free host like photobucket relieves the burden on a forum server if you can be bothered to do it properly.

like Will these pics are hosted on Photobucket in my album, no space on ibc used or wasted
personal gallery pictures?? Dolly
one of my fish
personal gallery pictures?? Lunapic_129266659142250_2
two more fish
personal gallery pictures?? 002800x515
and a bronze / jitta

As you can see, no delay, no seperate window, and no little deleated message either. If the forum had unlimited space on the server the gallery would allow pictures to be uploaded, but it basically says "no room left at the inn", so the few people using external hosts are actually doing the forum a favour in the long run. If the individual deleats their photobook images they will probably have left the forum too, so a clear out of their posts would be for the best, there might be more room for the gallery pictures then Very Happy

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:57 pm

Marcus, do please give me some credit. I did EXACTLY what you describe. It was not posted as a link. The picture I put up appeared exactly as yours and Will's do. I then removed it from photobucket and what you now see is the result. Indeed when you go to delete something on pb it actually warns you that you will delete your image on other sites to which it is directly linked.

And the Gallery function is separate from the normal hosting system so there is no conflict whatsoever. We can post an almost unlimited quantity of images using servimg into routine posts.

but just to show this is a well-intentioned discussion rather than an argument, can I say that your pics are lovely.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:20 pm

Posted as a link:
https://2img.net/h/i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww353/fionnghal/seeds.jpg

Directly linked: personal gallery pictures?? Seeds

Just experimenting with a second pic given the same treatment but then removed from pb:

link - https://2img.net/h/i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww353/fionnghal/DSCF2841.jpg

Direct link - [img]personal gallery pictures?? DSCF2841[/img][url][/url]
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:23 pm

fiona wrote:Marcus, do please give me some credit. I did EXACTLY what you describe. It was not posted as a link. The picture I put up appeared exactly as yours and Will's do. I then removed it from photobucket and what you now see is the result. Indeed when you go to delete something on pb it actually warns you that you will delete your image on other sites to which it is directly linked.

And the Gallery function is separate from the normal hosting system so there is no conflict whatsoever. We can post an almost unlimited quantity of images using servimg into routine posts.

but just to show this is a well-intentioned discussion rather than an argument, can I say that your pics are lovely.

good evening Fiona, thanks, i'm not arguing either, and yes the fish are real characters - the tank is 6ft and built into the kitchen wall - i love doing the cooking ! Very Happy .

As i said tho an individual who deleats their photobucket pictures or account has probably lost all interest in forums, internet etc as you would struggle to fill the space you are allowed, so they should be totally deleated from the forum anyway. Anyone can deleat a picture from photobucket to prove a point and get the little image deleated box up, but my post was asking why the gallery is unable to take any more pictures. If we could link the personal gallery to photobucket there would be plenty of room for everyone.

I popped a post up using the forum image hosting and it appears this is also an external image hosting site ?, but one where the individual cant deleat the image to break the link, so as you say it will never effect the forum itself, so what has clogged up the gallery feature - is it limited storage space?

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:29 pm

Bottom line is, if a member is quite sure they are not going to remove images linked on to here from their photobucket site then it shouldn't be a major issue. My only issue is with the posting of links requiring to be opened in separate windows (altho' I'd see the exception to this is where the link is to a suite of pics like Jeffrey has done in the recent post from Noelanders).

I will say however is that what baffles me is why, when I click on Gallery, I can't see any pics. If it's full, then where the heck are all those pics? I'm going to have a play with that as it might just be it operates in a different way to the other forums I use.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:32 pm

Hi Marcus - we crossed in the ether there.

Yep, you're quite right and you can use servimg for stuff other than this forum. I actually do this.

I think the issue we should concentrate on is the gallery function but it does seem a bit bizarre in its operation. On my other forums, a member sets up their personal "album" but that is visible to other members. When I click on Gallery in this forum I can't see anything at all. Weird.

One for Kev again I think.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:39 am

I could see the gallery feature having some utility...provided that the images are visible to all members. It would be a convenient way to get a quick look at a bunch of trees by one person, as opposed to having to search and then click through a bunch of threads. However, as you say, it returns a "full" message when you try to create/upload an image.
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:01 am

I prefer using Photobucket just because I cannot view the forum hosted pictures at some places...it is blocked for some reason.

It is also easier for me to upload my pics at one central location that I can use in various forums should I choose.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:13 pm

I must just re-state, we do not have to pay for storage space for images on Servimg. The IBC does not suffer in any way if you post as many as you like there.

If you are confident in your offsite image host and that you will leave all of the images used there, so as not to destroy the integrity of posts later, then feel free to use your preferred option.

As to the gallery function, it is very odd and I have just spent a bit of time trying to make it work. I did think that every single image posted needed to be OK'd by me, which would make it cumbersome and time consuming. I looked into that further and made a couple of changes which will allow users to moderate their own gallery.

For now I selected all of the existing galleries and OK'd them, so they should be working. Please feel free to have a look around and report back to us Moderators here or by PM. Until we come to a decision on the desirability of galleries, and whether we should pay for the extra space, no-one else will be able to post as the space is all used up.

Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:35 pm

I just took a quick peak. There appear to be only 50 total images there. So not really much "free" space. It is a nice feature, but I don't know if it's worth paying for - especially since I have no idea how much it would cost nor how it is paid for.

Another option would be to create a "gallery" subforum, where each user could maintain one thread where they keep updated photos of their trees. I don't know if that would be useful or not, but it could be a "free" way to get crudely similar functionality...one could go to that subforum to browse through the collection without having to search for each user, scroll through the results, etc. Of course, if lots of people create threads there, it could also get difficult to navigate through...
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:49 pm

There is currently only a small amount of space available on the Gallery. Interestingly, when we first had this discussion among the Moderators we only had 200 or so members. The situation is of course a whole lot different now that we have nearly twenty times that number. Very Happy

Please leave this with us as we are trying to see whether there is a way ahead that won't be cost-heavy.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:24 pm

I think coh's idea is worth thinking about -- especially if we can dream up some way to prevent all the dull "nice tree" posts, but if the posts would be open for discussion, there'd be no difference between them and the rest of the site.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:46 pm

I am including that in my deliberations.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:42 pm

JimLewis wrote:I think coh's idea is worth thinking about -- especially if we can dream up some way to prevent all the dull "nice tree" posts, but if the posts would be open for discussion, there'd be no difference between them and the rest of the site.

yes Jim, it needs to be a personal thread, just a picture captioned by species, size, time owned etc.One picture post per tree, so the owner can edit it to show a restyle if they want (hopefully not 10 pictures of the same tree though, just the show 'front'). No talk, no replies, no comments, just pictures of our trees, warts and all. If someone wants to start a talk thread about a specific tree they can paste it into 'bonsai questions'. Make the thread owner responsible to keep their page clean - any undeleated chat posts cluttering it up that get spotted earn the owner a locked thread and 20 lashes in the stocks affraid

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down