Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1st stone collecting trip of the year

2 posters

Go down

1st stone collecting trip of the year Empty 1st stone collecting trip of the year

Post  dick benbow Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:27 pm

This saturday our Stone club is venturing off to the Skokomish River on Washington state's Olympic Penninsula.
Lessening snow melt is dropping the rivers to a manageable height for wading and searching. I want to take IBC members along, so I'll be packing my camera with all my gear. So keep an eye on this thread by Sunday morning and you can come along with us as we search Smile

If I hadn't planned to go stoning, I had an opportunity to go with some Bonsai friends on a yamadori dig high in the mountains. Nice to have choices.

The first saturday in august, the weyerhauser volunteers at the bonsai collection are being thanked for their efforts with an opportunity to attend a lecture and demo by Kathy Shaner, who spent many seasons studying
bonsai and display in Japan. hopefully, I can share some photos from that event.
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

1st stone collecting trip of the year Empty Re: 1st stone collecting trip of the year

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:38 pm

Dick, we will look forward to your photos, I think I saw Kathy Shaner do a demo for the San Diego club over ten years ago,

Last edited by Billy M. Rhodes on Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:47 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : corrected spelling)
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

1st stone collecting trip of the year Empty Re: 1st stone collecting trip of the year

Post  Guest Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:54 am

Stonesearch is one of the really nice Things about suiseki....the nature, and the memories that will connect you with the stone you was lucky to find forever.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:11 pm

Well, I'm all packed. waders, lunch, camera. Weather expected to cool down from middle 80's to lower 70's.
I'll be traveling the hr and a half with a couple from the stone group for company and to share gas expense.
we'll meet up along the road near an adjoining creek feeding into the river to begin our search after all parties have arrived.
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:08 pm

9 members accompanied by one dog, set out from where vance creek ran into the river. water was low and clear, and the heat of the day didn't start becoming a drain until about the time we broke for lunch. close to 50 stones were displayed during lunch and opinions expressed on their worth. Much to my chagrin as I hit the on button for my camera, the batteries were dead. So lesson learned, when I volunteer to share bring extra batteries. Sorry folks!
  Coupla things worth mentioning. Some hunters liked to actually get in the water coveredstream bed, facing upstream and look for their stones that way. Others preferred to walk the gravel bars looking for theirs. Consensus seemed to be that more preferred the dry land treatment.
   Another thing that I thought was interesting was that the more experienced collectors looked for and collected smaller stones.
More newbees seemed to collect bigger stones. Coupla the ladies also found some wonderful drift wood pieces, so it pays t keep your eyes opened for more than just stones.
  About half of the selections were based solely on color. This river is incredible. I did see one truely fabulous hut stone ( not mine that I'll be posting here) and several really nice plateau stones.
  After lunch a few of us saundered back to the river for about an hr before calling it quits.1st stone collecting trip of the year Img_3016
1st stone collecting trip of the year Img_30171st stone collecting trip of the year Img_3018
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:43 pm

Nice stones, collecting in Florida, not so much.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:30 pm

Billy, our stone club has been known to welcome folks along with our events if your ever out this way again. Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down