Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello ...first post!!...i.d. help please!

4 posters

Go down

Hello ...first post!!...i.d. help please! Empty Hello ...first post!!...i.d. help please!

Post  rrubberbandman Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:22 am

Hello from Virginia!!
I picked up a new bonsai today and the nursery could not verify the specie....
So I was wondering with a bloom pic could you all help out!

rrubberbandman

Back to top Go down

Hello ...first post!!...i.d. help please! Empty First Post

Post  bonsaisr Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:26 am

Let's see it. close-up of leaves as well as flowers.
In English, species is singular and plural. Specie is money.
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Hello ...first post!!...i.d. help please! Empty Re: Hello ...first post!!...i.d. help please!

Post  rrubberbandman Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:32 am

Hi,
Problem......cant figure out how to post a pic....tried everything!!
could i email it too you?
Bryan

rrubberbandman

Back to top Go down

Hello ...first post!!...i.d. help please! Empty Re: Hello ...first post!!...i.d. help please!

Post  rrubberbandman Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:38 am

bonsaisr wrote:Let's see it. close-up of leaves as well as flowers.
In English, species is singular and plural. Specie is money.
Ahhhh yes me left the s off of species!
Thanks!

rrubberbandman

Back to top Go down

Post  Auballagh Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:08 pm

Hello,
I'm from Virginia too!  Hopefully with a good picture posted up of this tree you've got, myself or some of the other folks on this site will be able to ID it and possibly even offer up some advice on what you can do with it.
Have you read through the tutorial here?

https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t243-tutorial-on-posting-pics

I recommend you give that information thread a close look, and then post up a picture here as a response for us to see and comment to.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you have. Cool
Auballagh
Auballagh

Back to top Go down

Post  rrubberbandman Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:12 pm

Well it appears that I had 2 pics but only one came thru even though i inserted both links!
But thanks to everyone for the help on posting!
Bryan

rrubberbandman

Back to top Go down

Hello ...first post!!...i.d. help please! Empty Species ID.

Post  lennard Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:17 pm

It seems to be a Grewia occidentalis.

Lennard
lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

Post  rrubberbandman Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:24 pm

lennard wrote:It seems to be a Grewia occidentalis.

Lennard
ahhhh haaaaa......how right you are.....a local guy with a local plant i.d.!!!!!!
Thanks!!!Very Happy 

rrubberbandman

Back to top Go down

Hello ...first post!!...i.d. help please! Empty Hello - First Post

Post  bonsaisr Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:35 pm

That's an easy one. You have lavender star flower, Grewia occidentalis. It is a tropical from east Africa. Outdoors in full sun all summer, until night temperatures go below 45 F. I grew it indoors under fluorescent lights for the winter, but it should be OK in a south facing window. Bill V. has one. I think it may do better as a larger specimen. The big drawback I found under my conditions was that the branches continued to thicken while the trunk didn't.
It blooms on the ends of twigs. For the first two years, you will find that you have to let it run loose to get flowers. But keep pinching & pruning. After two years it will bloom while in show trim and you can show it in bloom. Try not to exhibit it in a dark location for more than one day. Otherwise it may defoliate, but it will come back.
People who grow it in a greenhouse or Florida may give you entirely different information.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  rrubberbandman Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:37 pm

Thanks to everyone.....now I just need to think of a suitable style for this guy!

rrubberbandman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down