Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beech back budding?

3 posters

Go down

Beech back budding? Empty Beech back budding?

Post  mr.white Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:31 am

I have a Fagus sylvatic, the purple variety, how willingly do beech trees back bud? Or would be more advisable to leave a branch to become the leader? I’m looking to chop my beech when the truck is thick enough. Planning to make a straight cut, or would a horizontal cut, one that would be better tapered to the leader?
Also how do encourage better/more even surface roots?

Any help or suggestions?
mr.white
mr.white

Back to top Go down

Beech back budding? Empty Re: Beech back budding?

Post  Kev Bailey Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:09 am

Beech can be coppiced, so they do sprout from a stump. You always have to keep in mind how the cut will appear in the finished tree. If possible hide it by cutting at the back and using a branch in front to become the leader.

Improving surface roots is a matter of time and patience. At each repotting arrange them a little better, judiciously cutting any that are too high or too low, or ugly. Sometimes roots can be split or new ones can be grafted into positions where they are needed. Another alternative is ground layering.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  wabashene Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:30 pm

Hello Mr. White,

Good advice from Kevin.

I have found that the major chop scars do take a while to grow out - 4/5 years and counting- but them I am not particularly experienced and was even less so in 2004

I have chopped and planted 5 beech trees out and one FS Purpurea is about ready to pot up properly for training. (see old chop pics below)

These 2 articles below are good and will be relevant to Pacific NW.

http://bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATBeechbonsaiprogression.htm

http://bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Beechadvancedpruning.htm

The advanced pruning article is particularly interesting and the technique seems to work well coz I am using it on the FS Purpurea below.

I have found that beech respond well to partial defoliation in early summer and produce a crop of smaller leaves readily.

Leaves reduce significantly in pot culture when combined with defoliation. See comparision shot below.

Hope this info is useful

Thks

TimR
Beech back budding? Beech_10

Beech back budding? Beech_11
wabashene
wabashene

Back to top Go down

Beech back budding? Empty RE:Beech back budding?

Post  mr.white Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:16 pm

Thank you both, Kev and Tim for the advice, I have some time to think about my options it's not ready just yet to chop. Just wanted to check with others who may have chopped their beech, before I chopped mine. Thanks again.

Also....your website (Kev) is very nice looking. will take more time to look around.

Tim: ur beech looks nice after the chop, i'm sure it will continue to progress nicely

thanks for the website bonsai 4 me

your help is much appreciated...
mr.white
mr.white

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down