Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

North Carolina Arboretum

3 posters

Go down

North Carolina Arboretum Empty North Carolina Arboretum

Post  JimLewis Sun May 19, 2013 10:07 pm

I've been enjoying Arthur Joura's little picture essays on the N.C. Arboretum and its bonsai collection(see Top Threads). I had to go up to Asheville today, so I stopped off at the Arboretum for a while, too.

I sometimes wonder if the people in North Carolina have any idea what a jewel of a facility they have here at the Western end of the state. I used to get there more often to walk the miles of mountain trails, but I can no longer manage that, alas, and am restricted to the flatter paved areas. Still is it well worth frequent visits. There were people wandering the paths and the parking area near the trail head at the Arboretum entrance was packed with cars.

Anyway, Arthur apparently is still setting out the Spring and warm-weather displays in this very odd sprung we are having (one bench area is still bare), but he has a number of trees on display already that I, at least, hadn't seen before. For once I'd remembered to take my camera, so I got some pictures for you.

They were having a small Ikebana display at the Education Center. Ikebana has never been my thing, but I took one picture of an interesting creation.

North Carolina Arboretum Ikeban10

But to the bonsai:

Almost all (if not all) of these make good use of native species, some of which you seldom see as bonsai.

Here is a Berberis canadensis (American barberry) group planting.

North Carolina Arboretum Berber10

And a closeup of the flower:

North Carolina Arboretum Berber11

This group planting is called Graveyard Fields (??) and consists of Acer rubrum, Japanese hornbeam, dryland blueberry, a viburnum and a spirea.

North Carolina Arboretum Gravey10

A mountain laural (Kalima latifolia).

North Carolina Arboretum Kalima10

And its flower:

North Carolina Arboretum Kalima11
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

North Carolina Arboretum Empty Re: North Carolina Arboretum

Post  JimLewis Sun May 19, 2013 10:39 pm

Here are a few more, using North American natives.

Pinus strobus, Eastern White Pine. This is one of the native trees that is seldom (almost never) seen as bonsai.

North Carolina Arboretum Pinus_10

And this is a Pitch pine, Pinus rigida. This tree is native to the western half of North America.

North Carolina Arboretum Pitch_10

This little landscape is not native. The azalea is 'Christmas cheer' with its tiny red flowers. The smaller plants are kingsville boxwoods.

North Carolina Arboretum River_10

Thuja occidentalis, eastern white cedar, nicknamed "The Ogre."
North Carolina Arboretum Thuja_10

This accent is of Yellowroot and Bluet.

North Carolina Arboretum Yellow10

I'll wind up with a few pics of some landscape azalea and native Rhododendron that were in bloom on the grounds.

North Carolina Arboretum Azalea11

North Carolina Arboretum Azalea12

North Carolina Arboretum Azalea13

North Carolina Arboretum Rhodod10
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Sun May 19, 2013 10:51 pm

Thanks for posting, I really like this guy's style.

I think that his designs of the trees are very sensitive, that they respect the "personality" of the trees without showing off vain "stunts". I love this very natural style.
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  rdennis Mon May 20, 2013 7:23 pm

You are so right in saying the NC Arboretum is a gem. We go to Highlands every year and always allow at least one day for a visit to the Arboretum. The bonsai show there is very special and we are looking forward to seeing it again this year.
rdennis
rdennis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down