Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thread Grafting

+3
abcd
Auballagh
chris
7 posters

Go down

Thread Grafting Empty Thread Grafting

Post  chris Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:34 pm

This is an Arakawa Maple that Mike bought 2 years ago, the tree had a fantastic trunk but the branch structure had gone
Mike allowed free growth with heavy feeding to produce the massive extensions these were caged wired to position in preparation for the thread grafting
By drilling at an angle the "new branches" can be developed at the correct area of the trunk
Wound sealant is used to make the drill holes air tight. we will know when the grafts have worked if the branch gets thicker on the out going side, this could be as quick as 6 to 8 weeks!!!!!!, we will see.

Thread Grafting Dscf9119

Thread Grafting Dscf9120

Thread Grafting Dscf9121
Thread Grafting Dscf9122
Thread Grafting Dscf9123
Thread Grafting Dscf9124
Thread Grafting Dscf9125
Thread Grafting Dscf9126
Thread Grafting Dscf9127
Thread Grafting Dscf9128
Regards Chris
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Thread Grafting Empty Re: Thread Grafting

Post  Auballagh Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:52 am

That's really nice work. Thanks for the great pictures and detailed explanations - I learned a lot. Smile
Please do post back with info on how well the grafts take and how the work on this tree progresses! I love the bark on this maple. With your branch structure hopefully fixed with those thread grafts put in, this tree should develop into something very nice.
Auballagh
Auballagh

Back to top Go down

Post  abcd Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:30 am

Electric machine is not very good for pierced graft, you can burn the cambium, i prefer a manual engine with small rotation speed.
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:06 am

Hello Chris,
Is there a special reason why the branches are not wired?
Some support to secure them in place would be a normal procedure?

Hello ABCD would an electric drill with low speed and careful drilling with a thin drill first, be safe?
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:47 am

nice work i gotta do some thread grafting in the coming weeks on some larches of mine

Back to top Go down

Post  abcd Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:02 pm

spin is the most suitable tool
[img]Thread Grafting Vrille10[/img]
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:23 pm

hello Chris, and nice work
like many others, i'm sure you will have succes with the technique you used. Nothing wrong with electric drilling if you are carefull and take good care afterwards. With manual tools you can mess thing up as well. Electric tools for drilling such small and clean holes is not a problem, if you have a steady hand. Looks good what you did, clean holes, good sealing etc
Show us your results in a year Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  tmmason10 Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:30 pm

andre_f wrote:nice work i gotta do some thread grafting in the coming weeks on some larches of mine

Please post some pics of the larch thread grafting when you get around to it. I've read it in Lenz's book but would love to see it in practice.

tmmason10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:59 am

tmmason10 wrote:
andre_f wrote:nice work i gotta do some thread grafting in the coming weeks on some larches of mine

Please post some pics of the larch thread grafting when you get around to it. I've read it in Lenz's book but would love to see it in practice.
will do but it looks just like these but i use wire to hold the thread grafts in place and don't use cut paste but use petroleum jelly a little nick lenz trick to help the wound heal faster

Back to top Go down

Post  chris Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:44 am

Hi everybody and thanks for the replies
Thread grafting is a great trick to have up your sleeve, but the are inherent problems with this technique.
1, The hole that is drilled is parallel but the branch that you put through is tapered, therefor I think the first place that grafts is on the ingoing side and then the out going side swells and grafts so the outgoing side is not tight when first done

2 The size thickness of all the branches are the same i.e small!!!!!. So the bottom branches need to be addressed in a different way to the top ones. The bottom branches need to grow on for some years to get the size that will give the image. You need to pay attention to where you position the first bud distance from the trunk, so in other words you adjust the position when placing the graft so that you have a bud lets say 1.5ins from the trunk, this is the one that you will eventually cut back to. Your first un controlled growth will have long internods but you know that you have the bud close to the trunk to cut back to after you have the diameter you want and then you can grow with control for the ramification you want.

Regards Chris
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Post  LSBonsai Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:47 pm

abcd wrote:spin is the most suitable tool
[img]Thread Grafting Vrille10[/img]

this seems like more work than necessary. I have done many thread grafts with electric drills on full speed and been successful. granted i clean the wounds when done with a grafting knife. I cannot imagine trying to get through a 10cm hornbeam trunk with the hand drill.

cheers,

LSBonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  marie1uk Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:01 pm

Another tip is to put tape on the outgoing side of the trunk as when the drill bit penetrates to the other side it can take little bits of the cambium with it.

marie1uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down