Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum

+95
kingsnake
Tom
MKBonsai
BrianS
manumidam
Chris Cochrane
Intricate Simplicity
chench53
KyleT
Maros Belan
DjTommy
Bolero
Gonetopot
Rick36
M. Frary
Van
Toshiro
fiona
Precarious
drbuzzbee
geo
LanceMac10
MichaelS
kimo
Chellis
Leo Schordje
FrankP999
dick benbow
BrianG
crust
TN Jim
Seth Ellwood
Wander
peterkang
Judgie
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Vance Wood
JMcCoy
brett2013
GerhardGerber
lordy
Eric Group
my nellie
steveb
Jaybird
Todd Ellis
jgeanangel
Daygan
AlainK
Richard S
Randy_Davis
Robert J. Baran
David Brunner
William N. Valavanis
Jkd2572
Dale Cochoy
Jesse McMahon
prestontolbert
yamasuri
bingregory
Stephen Krall
DougB
Ashiod
JADunnagan
sayotefries
JudyB
Dan W.
Khaimraj Seepersad
DuncanJH
Dave Murphy
monte
MikeG
augustine
Russell Coker
Kev Bailey
lennard
BigDave
Marty Weiser
Smithy
coh
tmmason10
dorothy7774
gman
Dave Leppo
hometeamrocker
bwaynef
Billy M. Rhodes
Walter Pall
Sam Ogranaja
JimLewis
MartinSweeney
bonsaisr
Auballagh
John Quinn
Arthur Joura
99 posters

Page 28 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Go down

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 Empty THE WALTER PALL SHOW AT THE EXPO

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:57 pm

and now a few from the walter pall show
and he was assisted by jim doyle of natures way and jennifer price of hidden gardens

i really dont have many photos (and they are kind of crappy), but lots of video (those will take some time)

the material

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 Pa100117

the man

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 Pa100118

the work

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 Pa100119

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 Pa100120

the embodiment of OOOMPH and powerful style

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 Pa100121

the end

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 Pa100122

sorry about the branch in your face jennifer !

and that was about the best 20-some bucks i have spent in a looooong time !

hopefully someone has some better pics to contribute...
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 Empty An Open Letter To Walter Pall 11/6/15

Post  Arthur Joura Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:59 pm

Hello Walter,

Thank you for your latest response. You and I were able to spend some time together during your recent visit to Asheville and we talked at length about all sorts of this and that, including your impressions of the Artisan's Cup event and some of what we have been discussing in this exchange of open letters. By the time you left I was tired and worn out, mostly because of all the effort expended in the run-up to the Carolina Bonsai Expo, but also some of my fatigue was simply from being around you so much. You are so boisterous, opinionated and larger-than-life that a quiet person like me gets drained from being too much in your presence. Maybe mine is like the plight of those humble deciduous trees that have to go on display next to the loud and flamboyant collected conifers. Anyway I decided I would take a little time off from this dialogue. Actually, even as I write this I am thinking maybe I should wait a little longer, as I am not yet feeling quite up to the task. However, that which is started should be seen through to its completion and I set out on this project with the intention of getting to a certain point. You are not going to get it there by yourself so I will have to do my part.

Your opinions about the Artisan's Cup have been clearly articulated and well publicized. I take it as a given that they are probably right, given that you have an uncommonly comprehensive overview of bonsai in this country and around the world and you are thinking about bonsai and where it is going to a greater degree than most anyone else I know. My response is little more than a shrug. If Modernism is a great wave about to wash all over the US, I have little choice but to stand out of the way and watch it go by. You say the style of the Artisan's Cup is definitely not the style of bonsai at the NC Arboretum, and you are clearly correct. The reason is twofold: we do not at present have any such Modernistic trees in our collection, and I am personally ambivalent about them. My lack of attraction to them means we are unlikely to pursue having them anytime in the near future. This stance might strike some as being arrogant or foolish, or both, but I do not think it is either. Modernistic bonsai is an exclusive game. My objective as curator of a public collection is to do whatever I can to make bonsai more inclusive.

In my last letter to you I outlined some conclusions I have reached regarding bonsai, and you mostly agreed with all of them. What I am doing in my work with American bonsai at the NC Arboretum is acting on those conclusions. Modernistic bonsai requires a special type of material to which we do not have access, and more importantly, to which the great majority of people do not have access, so if we want to make bonsai more inclusive Modernistic is not the way to go. Additionally, the chest-thumping technical bravado of the Modernistic work is less appealing to the general public, I think, than is the quietness and 'Zen feeling', as you put it, of other forms of bonsai. No, I have not done formal surveys to arrive at this opinion, but I make a practice of paying attention to how people respond to bonsai, and in this case I am talking about the general public and not those immersed in the bonsai world. I think Modernistic bonsai are perceived mostly as dramatic curiosities by the public. They may find them impressive, but coldly so. What is there for the average person to relate to? The most prevalent positive response I hear expresses itself through the desire of possession, as in, "I want to own that thing!" This is the same reaction provoked by an expensive car, or a big diamond necklace, or a hot young fashion model. From a marketing standpoint, if you are a dealer in Modernistic bonsai or the kind of material necessary to produce it, or if you are a bonsai guru who promises to teach people to become accomplished in that style, then the wave that is supposedly coming out of Portland to flood the world is indeed good news. If you think bonsai has some value beyond surface appeal and status, well, maybe not.

It is understood I am not telling you anything you do not already know; I am only staking out my own position. If Modernistic was the only option I would have little interest in bonsai. It does not speak to me in any way that is personally meaningful. This is the same feeling I have about Neo-classical bonsai. As far as I can see Neo-classicalism is what most bonsai practitioners are engaged in, whether they know it or not. Now perhaps some of them will hear the Siren song of Modernism and jump overboard to reach it. From what you write about how Modernistic bonsai will now be winning all the show awards it seems you think this will be the case, but time will tell. Meanwhile, thank goodness for Naturalism!

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 Img_8110
Arthur Joura
Arthur Joura

Back to top Go down

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 Empty Re: American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum

Post  JimLewis Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:55 pm

Hear!  Hear!

I think Modernistic bonsai are perceived mostly as dramatic curiosities by the public.
I call them "gee whiz" trees, and I include many of Kimura's more off-the-wall, designed-by-Mixmaster, twisty evergreens with them.

You look once, think "Gee that's a lot of work" and pass on.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 Empty Re: American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:09 pm

no matter what side of the fence(s) someone is on, i dig the candor with which you state your position, arthur.
...part of why i enjoy your company.
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 Empty Amen

Post  DougB Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:22 pm

Arthur Thank You and a loud AMEN.
DougB
DougB

Back to top Go down

Post  Van Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:02 pm

Really appreciate your honest assessment Mr. Joura, not only myself but probably a lot of bonsai practitioners can relate to what you've  written.    Modernistic is unsustainable and only few elitist collectors can pursue them.  If bonsai professionals count on the mass to make their living, by emphasizing modernistic, would it be counter productive to them?  The massive grandeur Japanese beech have been in training at Pacific Bonsai Museum for more than 40 years was valued less than three conifers that have been in training for less than 5 years; if this kind of judging becomes the norm, then good luck to some of the oldest souls that currently still reside on some of the highest mountains in the west.

van
Van
Van

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelS Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:50 am

All these new and young internet generation ''superstars'' travelling the world doing demos in front of big crowds and all producing the same old (new?) tired old ''modern kimura'' styled trees is already wearing thin with me. What can someone half my age (if that) teach me? I already know what they are going to do with the tree before they even start.
There are lots coming here now as well and you hear comments from club members like ''You think THIS guy is good then wait till THAT guy comes next year!'' They are all the same! They style the trees the same, and they all have the same attidude.
These guys (bless 'em) have had a few years training in Japan (perhaps) and all of a sudden are bonsai masters? I don't think so. IMO they have not had enough time contemplating the art and what it means. The essence of bonsai is long term by it's very nature. You need more than a few lessons in styling to appreciate the subtle and yet very deep emotion a tree can/should give you as you observe it's changes through the seasons and through the years as it slowly matures. This is where the greatest pleasure comes from. (for me)
As sure as the sun rises in the morning, these guys will slowly come to realize that as well. At least some will. The others will just get bored at looking at the same tree every day and sell it or give up on the art altogether as the ''wow'' fator is only transient.
In other words if you can derive the same pleasure from a small nicely shaped twig with one or two blossoms on it as you can from a modern ''masterpeice juniper'' then IMO you're on the right track.
MichaelS
MichaelS

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:33 pm

MichaelS wrote:In other words if you can derive the same pleasure from a small nicely shaped twig with one or two blossoms on it as you can from a modern ''masterpeice juniper'' then IMO you're on the right track.

i, for one, may not have agreed with everything you have stated, or maybe how you have stated it, on this thread michael, but i do believe that there is absolutely no argument with that last sentence !!! (and the ones preceding it in that post).

fair dinkum Wink
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:26 pm

Me too, except for this: 
What can someone half my age (if that) teach me?

EVERYBODY has something to teach, and EVERYBODY has something to learn -- if they will.

BTW, Arthur sent his final note on the 20th Expo to participating clubs, and touched upon the discussion here.  An excerpt follows (and I hope I'm not stealing his thunder from another post):

To All, . . .  (several paragraphs deleted)

It happened that just 2 weeks before our show there was another bonsai show out in Portland, OR, that went by the name of "The Artisans Cup". It was a big deal, in bonsai circles anyway. It was held in the Portland Art Museum, it attracted work from top bonsai people all over the country, large cash prizes were given out for winning trees, and the stated intention of the show was to raise the level of bonsai as an art form in America. It was successful, by all accounts, and I am glad for its success.

I could not help but compare, in my own mind, that show with the Carolina Bonsai Expo. Although both were bonsai shows, they could hardly be more different in their character. The Artisans Cup was in its first year, while the Carolina Bonsai Expo was in its 20th. The Cup was intended to make a big splash and a lot of money was spent on it, about 50 times the amount of money used to stage the Expo. The Cup was held in an art museum so as to make the point that bonsai should be regarded as an Art, and individuals paid a substantial fee just to submit their work for consideration, as is often done with major art shows. Meanwhile at the Expo our show, as usual, was organized around bonsai clubs in our region, with the emphasis placed on enjoying bonsai as a creative pastime. The Expo is held at an arboretum, making the point that bonsai is first and foremost a horticultural activity, inexorably tied to nature. Whereas the Cup was positioned to be a high-minded and important event meant to showcase the uppermost level of artistic accomplishment, the Expo was aimed at being lively and fun. I will add that there was legitimate art enough on display at our show, too, but overall we were much less self-conscious about it. In short, where the Cup strove for polished formality and importance, the Expo took pride in being comfortable, familiar and friendly. I do not know how many people attended the Artisans Cup, but somewhere between 4 and 5 thousand people came out to see the Carolina Bonsai Expo, in a much smaller market town than Portland.

I like our bonsai show. I like the feeling that is in the air all that weekend, a feeling of camaraderie born of a shared enjoyment of the beauty of nature. I always want the Expo to improve, but I would never want it to get better at the expense of that camaraderie. Sorry, but there will be no cash prizes in the foreseeable future. . . .

Arthur

So, if you are one of those who feels that bonsai must be one of the fine arts, I guess you have your venue.  For me and others, I suspect, a bonsai exhibit is about the bonsai, not about how they are displayed.   We have our venue also -- in the Carolinas and up in NY with Bill's National Exhibition.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard S Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:37 pm

But Jim, why not both?

I'm not in the US so the nature of US shows is of only passing interest to me. The wider debate that this reflects is fundamental though.

Why can we not recognise that different styles/schools exist without lording one and denigrating another?

Why can we not be wowed by the drama of modern bonsai "sculptures" and yet still be moved by the subtlety of the quieter broadleaf trees (as Walter put it)?

Why can we not pursue our own individual or cultural innovations while recognising and respecting the oriental (Chinese as well as Japanese) origins of this art form?

And as for show, surely the choice is not truly between high end, high cost exclusivity or low cost, friendly camaraderie? Surely both can, will and ultimately must co-exist? As I said, I don't live in the US so it's of little consequence to me but I can't help thinking that if I did (practicalities not withstanding) I would have liked to attend both shows and like to think I might have enjoyed and learned a lot from both too! Why not embrace the diversity, it sounds like a very healthy situation for American bonsai to be in.

Still, over here we had Bonsai Europa instead which appears to sit somewhere between the two so maybe we have the best of both worlds too. Either way I have my bonsai preferences of course like everyone else but I also have very broad tastes and that's the way I like it. Others are entitled to a different opinion (it would be very, very boring if we all agreed about everything).

Regards

Richard
Richard S
Richard S

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:45 pm

JimLewis wrote:For me and others, I suspect, a bonsai exhibit is about the bonsai, not about how they are displayed. 

but still, alot of thought and creativity obviously goes into the expo club displays and it shows !!!

and if lovin' that is wrong, i don't wanna be right...
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 Empty MichaelS

Post  DougB Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:18 pm

Michael I and perhaps others would be very interested in your bio, bonsai time line and examples of you work over time. Is there a link you can provide?
DougB
DougB

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelS Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:53 am

DougB wrote:Michael I and perhaps others would be very interested in your bio, bonsai time line and examples of you work over time.  Is there a link you can provide?

Doug, I've posted some trees for you too look at in ''Members trees''.
MichaelS
MichaelS

Back to top Go down

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 Empty A Rainy Day in the Bonsai Garden, A Few Weeks Back

Post  Arthur Joura Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:07 pm

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 A10

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 B10

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 C10

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 D10

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 E10

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 F10

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 G10

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 H10

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 I10

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 J10

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 K10

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 L10

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 M10

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 N10

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 O10

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 P11
Arthur Joura
Arthur Joura

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan W. Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:03 am

Stunning fall colors Arthur!! Thanks for sharing them! Smile
Dan W.
Dan W.

Back to top Go down

Post  augustine Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:34 pm

Arthur,

Thank you for the beautiful photos. Yushimura Island is one of my favorite bonsai in the country. (Funny some of your American Hornbeams are still green and my autumn foliage is way past prime and dropping.)

I appreciate your many contributions to the bonsai community. This thread is very educational and entertaining.

I too am glad that the Artisan's Cup was a success and best of luck to the Neil family. Being a bonsai hobbyist I cannot help but feel that the whole Cup thing seems very elitist. It seems like it takes alot of money to be in that group. I bet many others are like me and while wanting to improve their skills have no desire to spend mega-bucks for instruction and materials. (Heck, I can't even lift one of those trees.)

I remember an old saying that goes something like "always go home with the one that took you to the dance." There are many that have been sacrificing and working hard for the bonsai community for many years. And most of these are people that offer their goods and services for reasonable prices and in some cases no cost at all. (Arthur is one of these people as well as Walter and our friend William N. Valavanis.)

Just sayin'. With the exception of Michael Hagedorn's excellent blog, the bonsai movement in the Pacific Northwest isn't going benefit all of us. And I don't go for this "defining American Bonsai" thing. There's nothing new under the sun. Dan Robinson and Kimura have been doing the same thing for years, not to take anything away from Ryan Neil who is a very talented bonsai artist. Styles, art or craft or hobby, etc. are all a matter of semantics in my view. Call it what you will.

I fully agree with Arthur, bonsai should be accessible and promote community, cooperation, enjoyment. Oh, and let's not forget about the National Exhibitions put on by William N. Valavanis and his folks.

Best,

Augustine

augustine

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:13 pm

AJ - this is one damn sultry tree !!!

in its autumnal state of near undress
and glistening in the rain - it is no less

like the allure of a woman in the midst of a dance
the undulations beseech, for more than a glance

sorry Embarassed
couldn't help myself
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelS Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:36 pm

[quote="beer city snake"]AJ - this is one damn sultry tree !!!

You beast! tongue

My favorite too..

MichaelS
MichaelS

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:30 pm

MichaelS wrote:You beast!  tongue

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 Wolf11
(good ol' tex avery)
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:21 am

beer city snake wrote:AJ - this is one damn sultry tree !!!

sorry Embarassed
couldn't help myself

Kev
Carolina Hornbeam about 18-20" tall....not as large as it appears to me in the photo
i think it is in a S. Raynor pot??
it was part of the arboretum's display during the 2012 Nationals.

Arthur... nice rainy day photos! I hope you feel a strong sense of pride and accomplishment in how you have developed and grown the arboretum's collection!

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:33 pm

jgeanangel wrote:
Kev
Carolina Hornbeam about 18-20" tall....not as large as it appears to me in the photo
i think it is in a S. Raynor pot??  
it was part of the arboretum's display during the 2012 Nationals.

thanks john... i believe that the petite stature makes her even more appealing...
i am probably seen her in person, but while being overwhelmed by the gardens at the same time...
but seeing her on her own is quite different.
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 Empty Another Round of Belated Autumn Foliage Pictures

Post  Arthur Joura Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:37 pm

Thanks to Dan, Michael and John for reading and posting kind comments. Augustine, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. I am a proponent of the "Big Tent" approach to bonsai - as in, bonsai is a big tent and there is plenty of room for all kinds of ideas under the shelter of its cover. I think I see the influence of money coming more and more into the picture in the way some are attempting to steer the course of bonsai, at least in the US, and I recognize there is an upside to this. There is also a downside to it. I am not personally interested in looking at bonsai in a money-oriented light, but it is all the same to me if others want to pursue it in that way. There is room enough for them and me and everyone else under the big tent.

Kev, my friend, I am beginning to understand the "snake" part of your on-screen moniker. Now I will have to keep a closer eye on you whenever you are around my plants. I am glad you enjoyed, in your own particular way, the American Hornbeam (Carpinus caroliniana) whose image I posted. Perhaps you would like to see picture of *her* back side?

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 Img_9410

Yowsa! Actually, that is a close up of the trunk-chop scar made when I first started working on this specimen back in 1993. It serves as a reminder that although American hornbeam is one of the best North American species for bonsai use, one of its drawbacks is how long it takes the tree to cover over wounds with callous material. That cut was probably about 1.5" (3.81cm) in diameter when it was made, and after 22 years it still has not completely covered over.

What follows are a few more images, sans rain, of deciduous trees showing off in the NC Arboretum's bonsai garden about 3 weeks ago. The color show is over now, and the plants are all put up for the winter.

Trident Maple (Acer buergerianum):

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 Img_9310

Ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba):

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 Img_9311

Japanese Maple (Acer palmatum):

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 Img_9312

Tamarack (Larix laricina):

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 Img_9411

Chinese Elm (Ulmus parvifolia):

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 Img_9414

American Beech (Fagus grandifolia) and Eastern Hemlock (Tsuga canadensis):

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 Img_9316

Summersweet (Clethra alnifolia):

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 Img_9314

Chinese Quince (Pseudocydonia sinensis) with its 2 ripe, pendulous, rounded fruits hanging brazenly in the open breeze (Kev? Kev???):

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 Img_9415

And finally, Natchez Crape Myrtle (Lagerstroemia X 'Natchez'):

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 Img_9315

The above tree was used for the 2015 Carolina Bonsai Expo logo. It did not happen until 2 weeks after the Expo was over, but it did indeed turn as red as the way the logo showed it!

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 28 2015_e10
Arthur Joura
Arthur Joura

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:52 am

Very Attractive Arthur !!
Thanks
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:32 pm

ThumbsUp
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  manumidam Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:09 pm

amazing bark for a Chinese Elm.

manumidam

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next