Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Acer Monspessulanum (Montpelier Maple)

4 posters

Go down

Acer Monspessulanum (Montpelier Maple) Empty Acer Monspessulanum (Montpelier Maple)

Post  JudyB Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:54 pm

I am seeking any guidance that one might have from growing Montpelier Maple, and how development techniques may vary from Acer Palmatum, or Acer Buergerianum. I have read that they are pretty heat and drought tolerant, and they seem like a good candidate for bonsai, although I have not seen much information about them. I have acquired a nice stock trunk, and will be starting work on branching and wound healing this next season.
Thanks for any information.

JudyB

Back to top Go down

Acer Monspessulanum (Montpelier Maple) Empty Re: Acer Monspessulanum (Montpelier Maple)

Post  drgonzo Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:20 pm

Judy

These guys are like the warm weather version of field maples though not directly related. You would treat it like a Trident. It's not a fussy thing although depending on how cold you get or what your winter storage conditions are like I would take care to keep it protected over winter.

I wonder if you acquired it from Wee Tree.

-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Acer Monspessulanum (Montpelier Maple) Empty Re: Acer Monspessulanum (Montpelier Maple)

Post  JudyB Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:25 am

Yes Jay, I did get it from Wee Tree. I've gotten good and interesting field grown stock from them for a number of years. This was a good find, and a tree type I don't have. I like having a wide spread of varieties, and this one seems like a fun one to try.
I do have a cold greenhouse for overwintering, with heating mats and/or other heat options in there as well, so I should be good to go. My climate is too cold even for tridents, so it'll be on the warmish side of that greenhouse.
I wonder if these ever bloom in captivity....

Any other tips for development that you can pass along?

JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:03 am

JudyB wrote:Yes Jay, I did get it from Wee Tree. I've gotten good and interesting field grown stock from them for a number of years.

I was lucky enough to grab one of the 20 year old Pinot Noir Grape vines before they all sold out and before they realized they can't ship them to New York state due to agricultural restrictions.....oops! Very Happy

JudyB wrote:This was a good find, and a tree type I don't have. I like having a wide spread of varieties,

We share that in common. As i said theres nothing special about them I have no special advise regarding them except to caution you that these guys are warmer weather maples and to be aware of that when your attention turns to winter storage. Enjoy it and let me know how it does for you. I enjoy Acer and have many unusual cultivars of the genus myself.

-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:52 am

JudyB wrote:Yes Jay, I did get it from Wee Tree. I've gotten good and interesting field grown stock from them for a number of years.
They do have some decent looking stock. Interesting approach with some of the larger trees, as they claim they plant them in pure sawdust for a year after digging. Haven't heard of doing that before. Judy, how are the root systems? They look pretty good in the photos.

Last edited by coh on Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  JudyB Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:19 pm

The root systems are sometimes tangled, but there is always some decent basal flare, and plenty of rootage to work with. You just have to look at the pictures, and see if it's got a good enough start to work with. I really enjoy taking the tree from this state and developing them.

JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:29 pm

Hello,

I live in zone 8a, and the tree is perfectly hardy when planted in the ground: I have one in a hedge that I prune each winter to 2 metres (6 feet 6.74 inches) and it survived last winter, like the small potted ones (whereas I lost quite a lot of Acer palmatum). The one in the ground is from a warmer area and so are a few of the potted ones, but i have others that come from the central mountains of France. They're not very high mountains, but it snows heavily there (Ardèche) and it's very hot in the summer.

They're quite simuilar to Acer campestre in many ways.

They like limey soil and are heat and drought tolerant. Here, they bud out later than A. campestre. The wood is harder, and more brittle too, and they grow and heal more slowly than A. campestre.

New leaves, or leaves on new branches are more similar to those of A. campestre, on older trees or older branches, they're more like trident maple.

On A. mosp., the autumn leaves are usually bright yellow but this year, like on my other maple species, the colours were shades of orange and yellow.

Here's a picture of the one in the ground last week:

Acer Monspessulanum (Montpelier Maple) Ja121110e

And the Autumn colours of a small one that stays outside all winter, protected by a layer of Zelkova leaves up to the first branches (the zelkova is the red tree in the background):

Acer Monspessulanum (Montpelier Maple) 20121113163610-9582208b-me

A comparison of new leaves and old leaves on the "big one" :

Acer Monspessulanum (Montpelier Maple) 20111230102743-1ff1e607
Acer Monspessulanum (Montpelier Maple) 20111230102745-02999789

Not as hardy as A. campestre when potted though, and more difficult to work on, but a very nice tree.

I don't know how it can fare in the Dust Bowl, but it's really worth trying.

And: cuttings and air-layerings are more difficult to take than on A. cazmpestre too.

Tell me If I've forgotten anything Wink

AK
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  JudyB Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:52 pm

Thank you AlainK for those answers. Lovely yard by the way!
All good information to know. Interesting about the old/new leaves, much like mulberries, and sassafrass around here.
I like that ROR, looks like the leaves do reduce well.
As I live in Ohio, I'll just care for this like I do my crape myrtles in the winter, and it should be fine.
Thanks again.

JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:29 pm

You're welcome: if this so far "undocumented tree" can find a good place to prosper, live in harmony with its environment, and add its touch to the local landscape without being an invasive plant, then I'll be happy to know that your wealth was born out of your diversity Cool

AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down